Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1JZ-GTE Got Smoke? Please share experiences and solutions

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
1JZ-GTE Got Smoke? Please share experiences and solutions Mon, 12 September 2005 08:02 Go to next message
Following on to KOFFEE BLACK's thread:

The two engines I have had in my landcruiser (JZZ30 type) 40,000km and 80,000km have both blown smoke when deccelerating and braking, usually when pulling up to traffic lights with lots of people around Smile

I have had the same turbo's on these engines with approx 40,000km on them and of course same exhaust 3.5", intercooler etc. I have two of the different generation PCV valves, changing to either one made no difference, smoke still there.

I have noticed if the car is driven regularly the smoke will be half as bad as compared to not driven in a week.

To get the car finally engineered with the 1J in it ive had to recently fit a cat converter. I bought a 3" highflow and modified it to fit into my 3.5" system which only had 1 high flow muffler. Low and behold with the cat fitted the smoke has completely disappeared in all situations. I can only put this done to the super heating of the exhaust gas in this region somehow burning the offending oil alot better ???

So the reason I have started this thread is to try to help others with the same problem, maybe if you have modified your exhaust this is a problem, ive also read making changes to the inlet side of the engine has caused this problem to come and go.
  Send a private message to this user    
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: 1JZ-GTE Got Smoke? Please share experiences and solutions Wed, 14 September 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I notice with my 1J the AFR guage reads rich as a bitch when I back off the accelerator sharply, so maybe yours is doing the same, resulting in the smoke/unburnt fuel?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZ-GTE Got Smoke? Please share experiences and solutions Wed, 14 September 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unburnt fuel is black.

My smoke is white.

Another point is my engine doesn't have any oil useage issues.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ-GTE Got Smoke? Please share experiences and solutions Wed, 14 September 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isn't white coolant?

blue = oil
black = fuel
white = coolant?

BTW ribfeast, my car goes rich when I back off for a second as well (wideband o2 tells me).
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 1JZ-GTE Got Smoke? Please share experiences and solutions Wed, 14 September 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought white was tyre smoke, oil is "blue" but more or less its white.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 September 2005 03:56]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1JZ-GTE Got Smoke? Please share experiences and solutions Wed, 14 September 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was getting the puff of oil smoke when i stopped at traffic lights, then changing to a decent semi synth oil that was thinner i.e. from 20w-50w to 15w-40w has stopped all that, no more smelly oil and no more smoke at lights Smile

its great Very Happy
Endless
Regular

October 2004
Re: 1JZ-GTE Got Smoke? Please share experiences and solutions Wed, 14 September 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When i first had an oil change done it was with a fully synthetic oil and the car used to smoke (white) ive since changed to a thicker oil and it hardly smokes at all now.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: 1JZ-GTE Got Smoke? Please share experiences and solutions Wed, 14 September 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im with the above, try some different oil.

i was running 15 grade now at 10 and if i hold idle at 1500 i get some smoke but thats the only time. 15 grade i didnt get it
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZ-GTE Got Smoke? Please share experiences and solutions Wed, 14 September 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
White/blue whatever geez, it's oil smoke.

Coolant is steam anyway not smoke, damn chris you picky bastard Very Happy

Well I don't need to worry about the oil smoke cause as I said my new cat converter solved the problem.

Damn these 1JZ's are random, some of you guys used thicker and it stopped and some used thinner. This is the point of the thread, lets see how many more solutions we can get going Smile

So far:

- Put a Cat Converter on if you don't have one or removed yours
- Use thinner oil
- Use thicker oil
- Check PCV
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1JZ-GTE Got Smoke? Please share experiences and solutions Wed, 14 September 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well I am just chuffed mine is all good now Smile

but yes

ideas people Smile
XmaGe
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ-GTE Got Smoke? Please share experiences and solutions Wed, 14 September 2005 11:38 Go to previous message
When I start my car after its been sitting for a while I sometimes get a cloud of white smoke that disappears pretty quickly. I think its the valve stem seals, no smoke underload or idling at the lights.

I used a heavy oil stabiler (wasn't Morey but simular) can't remember wat brand and it reduced it heaps. Only a little smoke on startup.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Mr2 Blowing smoke (help diagnose this colour)
Next Topic:ignition for 2t/3tgte
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:13:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071151256561279 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.