Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ajmor6
Regular

August 2005
icon7.gif  Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Mon, 12 September 2005 05:17 Go to next message
Hey guys (girls) looking for easy brake upgrade for RA23...any ideas? Confused

Currently front end has Nissan pintara control arms, sports springs and adjustable sway bar. Looking at turbo-ing the existing 3T in it (also have spare 3T) as the good engines are VERY HARD. Brakes require upgrade, I NEED TO BE ABLE TO STOP! haha. Car is currently used for Rally competitions and not road registered so any mods are ok.

Any other modifications/upgrade ideas are most welcome also!

Peace.
  Send a private message to this user    
ajmor6
Regular

August 2005
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Mon, 12 September 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good engines are very hard - TO FIND....
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Mon, 12 September 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most people have used a combination of Hilux 4 spots and Peugot rotors. I'm sure there's a write up somehwere around here on how to do it.
ajmor6
Regular

August 2005
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Mon, 12 September 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prob sounds a lil rediculous, most likey different lingo, but whats a 4 spot? Embarassed
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Mon, 12 September 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is RA23 the same as RA40?

If so, I'll hopefully have a setup to use 300ZX discs and calipers in about a month.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Mon, 12 September 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
afaik RA40 fronts are pretty much the same as the '23/'28.

Send me a set and i'll let you know Wink
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Mon, 12 September 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll take a pic of the RA40 strut
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Mon, 12 September 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have both ra40 and ta23 struts. the seem to be identical. At a glance tho.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Mon, 12 September 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
something i have found which is still in the theoretical stages is :

RA60 rotors, hubs and callipers onto a RT142 strut

i was looking at this the other day at the wreckers. the RA60 has a 100mm calliper hole spacing and also what i noticed is that RT142 rona struts have a 100mm calliper hole spacing.

not my prefered route of upgrade (ive done the hilux/peg/rona upgrade) but may be useful to somebody Confused

will be able to answer this for sure in a couple weeks when we try it

brett
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Mon, 12 September 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think their identical struts with differetn bearings. The 23/28 used toyota wheels bearings and the 40 used holden ones.
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Tue, 13 September 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting about the wheel braring information, I've just had to source replacements for my brother and found something different.
The parts listings at Consolidated bearings are for celica 1974-1977. These do not fit the RA28 struts that we've played with.
The 1977- a bit later bearings are grnerally larger than the the others and they do fit.
Basically, RA28 struts used RA40 wheel bearing kits.
I've no idea if they're the same as holden ones or not.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Tue, 13 September 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All these cars use the same front bearings

celica ra40, ra60, sa63, ra65
cressida mx32, mx36, mx62, mx73
crown ms65
corona rt81, rt104, xt130, rt133, st141, rt142
avante st141, rt142
spacia yr22
lite ace km20, cm20, cm35, ym21, ym30, ym35
supra ma61
tarago yr20, yr21, yr22 2wd, cr21
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Tue, 13 September 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 11:42

All these cars use the same front bearings

celica ra40, ra60, sa63, ra65
cressida mx32, mx36, mx62, mx73
crown ms65
corona rt81, rt104, xt130, rt133, st141, rt142
avante st141, rt142
spacia yr22
lite ace km20, cm20, cm35, ym21, ym30, ym35
supra ma61
tarago yr20, yr21, yr22 2wd, cr21

so there is no interchangeability between any of these groups?? Confused
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Tue, 13 September 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eh? Wha? Huh?
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Tue, 13 September 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry, i thought u meant that each line only was interchangeable Razz

you mean ALL Embarassed

my bad
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Tue, 13 September 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all,

I agree there is something wrong with the bearing lists as currently listed by Consolidated and probably others.

The dates are wrong, I reported this trouble on a post before I also reported this to my local supplier.

We may have to, as a group contact Consolidated Bearings to see if we can get the listings corrected as it is causing a lot of grief.

The only time the bearing is smaller is for the TA-22's.

BTW the bearings for the list as CrUZsida states matche early holden bearings.

RA60/62/65 MA60/65 front hubs fit onto RT142 hubs. The RT uses a solid rotor and the 60/65 uses a vented rotor and if the lug spacing is the same my bet is the RA60 uses the same strut as the RT142.

I also await Brett's measurements.

Regards

Rodger

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Tue, 13 September 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont think they are the same (rt142 and ra60) Confused

for memory; i have read/been told that the RA60 struts give + camber issues on the old celicas.
so the whole purpose of using the RT corona struts is to get the camber back to normal.

i dont even even know for sure if the RT142 will have the same stub axle --> strut tube angle as the RA40 celicas.

never know - the RT struts might even give + camber

i guess we will see soon Wink
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Tue, 13 September 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brett,

when i looked at all the different struts out in my local self serve wreckers a few years back i ruled out RT142/ST141 corona struts for RA2* celicas... for the same reason as *A6* struts.

The strut angles on RT142 are similar to the RA60/MA61 - too big for RA2*.

RT132 might be what you are confused with. They are the correct angle, with the nice 90mm bolt spacing, 267mm solid disc and twin piston calipers. Using a 405 pug vented rotor they are a nifty upgrade.
o_man_ra23
Regular

June 2003
icon10.gif  Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Tue, 13 September 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or you could go with the upgrade im working on with thanx to Brett. RT132 struts and brakes with the 2 spot sumitomo calipers. Put on slotted rotors, and these will pull up a 1000kg RA23 as good as the other setups... only difference is that they will weigh less. Also, this upgrade will allow you to keep your RA23 springs, in case you have forked out major for off road springs.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Tue, 13 September 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 15:50

brett,

when i looked at all the different struts out in my local self serve wreckers a few years back i ruled out RT142/ST141 corona struts for RA2* celicas... for the same reason as *A6* struts.

RT132 might be what you are confused with. They are the correct angle, with the nice 90mm bolt spacing, 267mm solid disc and twin piston calipers. Using a 405 pug vented rotor they are a nifty upgrade.

no, im not confused Wink

my proposed brake upgrade was;
-RT142 struts (100mm calliper hole spacing)
-RA60 rotors, hubs and callipers (100mm calliper hole spacing)

theoretically this should all bolt up. however, i had no idea if using RT142 struts on a early celica would give + camber.
so now that you have ruled out xT14x struts in early celica it means that this option isnt really viable. pointless actually Razz may as well just get adjustable camber components and use complete RA60 struts

this brake upgrade^^^^^^^ was not going to be for my RA40. the route i have taken is the XT130 struts/LN106 callipers/peugot rotors.

i have nearly got my upgrade togther ATM.

that proposed up grade (RT142 + RA60) was only going to be an alternative upgrade for a mate. Wink

thanks for clearing that up anyway

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Tue, 13 September 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 15:50

Similar eh, can't do any better/more accurate than that?
(i.e. RA6X has a few degrees more -ve camber when installed in a MA61)

Cheers
Wilbo
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Tue, 13 September 2005 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well when you look at an RA23/RA28 strut in the car, they are almost vertical.

Look at an MA61, RA60 or RT142 strut and they have teh hektik angles en shit.
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Wed, 14 September 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can deffinitly reccomend the hilux pug conversion. i have these on my TA22 and they work awesome. however if i were to do it again i would save some money and use xA6x struts instead. with good discs and pads i believe they would be more than enough except for track use.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Wed, 14 September 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dorikin,

so you reckon the hilux/peg/rona brakes are a bit over kill for street use of your ta22??

does it lock up very often or have u gotten used to it?
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Wed, 14 September 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Noticed that you are using Pintara control arms! Be interested in knowing why? Is it becasue they are longer and provide negative camber. If so - how much longer? are they off the rear wheel drive Pintara or the front wheel drive? and are they a bolt on?

Thanks Craig
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Wed, 14 September 2005 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If anyone is interested, I put MA61 discs/calipers on my RA23 struts a few years back:
http://www.norbie.net/BrakeMods.htm

Not the best upgrade in the world, but it was cheap and it pulls up pretty damn well. Smile
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Wed, 14 September 2005 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would say overkill.

i have greenstuff pads too and once they get hot it is amazing, but i'm sure for street use i didn't need the huge expense.

i also modded the MC to 15/16. can lock it up very easily, but i'm very used to it and can avoid it.

i'd love to test them on a track one day, i'm sure they wouldn't disapoint

[Updated on: Wed, 14 September 2005 22:45]

ajmor6
Regular

August 2005
Re: Brake upgrade for RA23 (other upgrade ideas welcome!) Thu, 15 September 2005 01:42 Go to previous message
The pintara arms are off the rear wheel drive. The only "manipulating" done was slightly bench grinding down the existing celica ball joint to fit into pintara control arms. The arms were 25 or 30mm longer each wich gave me great negative camber (also widened the front track a touch too so it goes harder into corners!!!)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Relocation of Petrol Filter MA61?
Next Topic:4age crank pully compatibility
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 23:11:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072970390319824 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.