Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit?????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Meguiars
Occasional Poster

September 2005
swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Thu, 15 September 2005 02:42 Go to next message
hey everyone

im just after a little advice
recently my 7m-gte self destructed and since the cost of a rebuild would be rather high, i have decided on a transplant instead.
ive heard a 1jz-gte is almost a straight swap into an '88 supra, but i just wanted to made sure. i need to know if the bellhousing on my gearbox with line up with the engine cause i want to keep it manual. and ita bloody hard to find a manual gearbox for a 1jz. any input would be great thanks guys

-Alex
  Send a private message to this user    
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Thu, 15 September 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meguiars wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 12:42

hey everyone

im just after a little advice
recently my 7m-gte self destructed and since the cost of a rebuild would be rather high, i have decided on a transplant instead.
ive heard a 1jz-gte is almost a straight swap into an '88 supra, but i just wanted to made sure. i need to know if the bellhousing on my gearbox with line up with the engine cause i want to keep it manual. and ita bloody hard to find a manual gearbox for a 1jz. any input would be great thanks guys

-Alex

I think you will find that a 1jz conversion will cost you about as much, if not, more than a rebuild. I've seen Jza70 manual 1/2 cuts go for around 4k, then there's labour on top of that (unless you're doing it yourself).

Cheers
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Thu, 15 September 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you get a JZA70 cut it will bolt in.

If you want to keep your existing R154 you will need to get a 1JZ->R154 bellhousing, they are different.

Cheers
Wilbo
Meguiars
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Thu, 15 September 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the rebuild will cost heaps more.
my engine is pretty stuffed.
i need
- a new head cause its been shaved to much (reason my piston cracked)
- new turbo
- new loom
- maybe need the block rebored
- new pistons
- new bottom end bearings

all this adds up to is a heap of time and money that i dont have

by the way - the 1jz that i am looking at is out of an auto soarer, if that makes a difference.
i wanna keep it manual
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Thu, 15 September 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meguiars wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 13:05

i need
- new turbo
- new loom
- new pistons

by the way - the 1jz that i am looking at is out of an auto soarer, if that makes a difference.
i wanna keep it manual

Ah I see, I figured the usual head gasket issue. Apparently quite a few things are different between the JZA70's and JZZ Soarers, the foremost item being the wiring loom, that won't be easy to hack apart and put in to an xA70. And the fact you'll be wanting to keep it manual will mean needing to source a manual ECU for the engine as well. A JZA70 Halfcut will make your life ALOT easier.

Cheers
Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Thu, 15 September 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meguiars wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 12:35

i need
- new turbo
- new loom
- new pistons

i wanna keep it manual

If you want to do the conversion with the least hassle then you MUST get a JZA70 half cut. A soarer 1JZ has a different sump and it will not fit your car, wiring is completely different, dash needs to be modified to take the new sensors, engine mounts, cross member, need manual ecu, new bell housing, etc etc etc... I have a headache even thinking about it... and it is 99.9% of the time going ot be auto anyway.

Get a manual JZA70 half cut, then its just a matter of swapping it all over... simple as that..plug & play.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 September 2005 06:45]

Meguiars
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Thu, 15 September 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just found a manual jza70 halfcut for $4200
good price or not???
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Thu, 15 September 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meguiars wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 16:18

good price or not???

What comes with it? Fully dressed with panels and nosecone? How many kms? Any extra bits?

I paid $4500 for a manual jza70 cut three years ago but it came with all panels and few little extras like show-off valve and strut brace plus it was a jza70r so had momo wheel etc. I considered afterwards I prob paid a bit much but manual cuts weren't exactly easy to get.
Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Thu, 15 September 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That seems to be about the going price yep.

Labor can cost the same again so make sure you shop around if you are getting it done by a workshop. If you are savy enough in that field and have the right equipment there is no reason why you can not do it yourself.. with the assitance of a few friends of course and a few weekends.
Meguiars
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Thu, 15 September 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the guy said it comes with eveything need for a transplant including gearbox, loom and ecu.
he didnt mention anything about go fast bits or things like that
Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Thu, 15 September 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 16:27

Meguiars wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 16:18

good price or not???

What comes with it? Fully dressed with panels and nosecone? How many kms? Any extra bits?

I paid $4500 for a manual jza70 cut three years ago but it came with all panels and few little extras like show-off valve and strut brace plus it was a jza70r so had momo wheel etc. I considered afterwards I prob paid a bit much but manual cuts weren't exactly easy to get.

Listen to this man, he is the previous owner of my very car... knows his stuff Smile

Hey Lumpy Smile
Meguiars
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Thu, 15 September 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skined knuckles, late night, tones of beer - i could deal with that Very Happy
Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Thu, 15 September 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Exactly and it would feel like a good achievement after its done Smile

Speaking of knuckle damage, about to pull the diff out and replace with a complete torsen unit... but hey it will be fun Razz

Then comes pulling the engine out and replacing the stock dump pipe.. joy Very Happy
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Thu, 15 September 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Driftspec wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 16:37

Speaking of knuckle damage, about to pull the diff out and replace with a complete torsen unit... but hey it will be fun Razz

Then comes pulling the engine out and replacing the stock dump pipe.. joy Very Happy

G'day Rob!

It's always good to see that whenever you post, you're always doing something new to the car!! My wife saw it at Glenelg a couple of months ago and said it's looking great (and much cleaner than at any time I owned it!! Laughing )

Bloody women - she wanted it sold and then said "ohh I really miss the Supra" after seeing someone else driving it) Mad

I hope it's still going OK for you with no major dramas (besides the diff). Are you pulling the engine out yourself? I guess you need to to get the f**king dump off, it's damn tight in there.

Cheers to all doing a 1jz conversion at the moment Cool .
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Thu, 15 September 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Driftspec wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 14:42

Meguiars wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 12:35

i need
- new turbo
- new loom
- new pistons

i wanna keep it manual

If you want to do the conversion with the least hassle then you MUST get a JZA70 half cut. A soarer 1JZ has a different sump and it will not fit your car, wiring is completely different, dash needs to be modified to take the new sensors, engine mounts, cross member, need manual ecu, new bell housing, etc etc etc... I have a headache even thinking about it... and it is 99.9% of the time going ot be auto anyway.

Get a manual JZA70 half cut, then its just a matter of swapping it all over... simple as that..plug & play.

I thought they both have the same rear type sump? Difference being hydraulic water pump JZA versus clutch water pump JZZ??
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Thu, 15 September 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFAIK the sumps are the same.

Yes, the crossmembers and engine mounts are different, and the JZA70 cut would be worth getting purely for that reason.

As for the wiring, thats no biggie there, unless a JZA70 cut is 100% plug in then you'll have wiring on your hands anyway.
As for the sensors, thats the silliest thing I've heard.
The tacho would be about the only thing that may cause issues.
And I'm not even 100% if the MA70 tacho works on a JZA70 setup.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Thu, 15 September 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and you DON'T need a manual ECU
Auto ones work fine.

An auto front cut is more than enough if you can source bellhousing/flywheel/clutch elsewhere.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Thu, 15 September 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some food for thourght....

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=67001&rid=1111&S=1931e01b37f6c35541039b2 8640e8f61&pl_view=&start=0#msg_622641msg_6 22641

Price is on the mark for the front cut.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Thu, 15 September 2005 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 17:43

AFAIK the sumps are the same.

Yes, the crossmembers and engine mounts are different, and the JZA70 cut would be worth getting purely for that reason.

As for the wiring, thats no biggie there, unless a JZA70 cut is 100% plug in then you'll have wiring on your hands anyway.
As for the sensors, thats the silliest thing I've heard.
The tacho would be about the only thing that may cause issues.
And I'm not even 100% if the MA70 tacho works on a JZA70 setup.

The NA ma70 tach doesn't work with the 1-jz, the mechanicals of the tacho are the same, just the little daughter board on the back that translates the signal needs to be swapped over. Not sure about the 7m-gte tach though it may be similar since it has a coilpack setup. We swapped the daughterboard and the jza70 (non digi dash) tach backing plate over onto the ma70 tacho - hey presto a working tacho with the same needle type/colour as the rest of the dash and the 7500 rpm redline of the 1jz.

It's the little details that make the difference with conversions Wink
Phrozen_Death
Regular

October 2002
. Fri, 16 September 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Fri, 16 September 2005 00:10]

Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Fri, 16 September 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 17:01

Driftspec wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 16:37

G'day Rob!

It's always good to see that whenever you post, you're always doing something new to the car!! My wife saw it at Glenelg a couple of months ago and said it's looking great (and much cleaner than at any time I owned it!! Laughing )

Bloody women - she wanted it sold and then said "ohh I really miss the Supra" after seeing someone else driving it) Mad

I hope it's still going OK for you with no major dramas (besides the diff). Are you pulling the engine out yourself? I guess you need to to get the f**king dump off, it's damn tight in there.

Cheers to all doing a 1jz conversion at the moment Cool .

Hey mate, yeah car is going good.. had a few expensive issues but yeah gradually sorting them out... hehe such is the case with an older car Smile

LOL at woman, I know what you mean... lucky my g/f however won't let me sell it even if I tried Razz

Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Fri, 16 September 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On this topic... just get a JZA70 half cut and be done with it if a conversion is the way you want to go.

No point making things 10x more difficult if you don't have to.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Fri, 16 September 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*sigh* Crying or Very Sad all this 1jz halfcut talk. I have $3000 tied up for a jza70halfcut that i've been waiting near 5months to arrive.

"we know the container of stock is on the water somewhere, it'll be here soon"

"we dunno what happened with the container from japan, it seems to be lost"

"yeah as soon as i hear anything i'll let you know"

etc etc.

very depressing. Crying or Very Sad
Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Mon, 19 September 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Fri, 16 September 2005 11:54

*sigh* Crying or Very Sad all this 1jz halfcut talk. I have $3000 tied up for a jza70halfcut that i've been waiting near 5months to arrive.

"we know the container of stock is on the water somewhere, it'll be here soon"

"we dunno what happened with the container from japan, it seems to be lost"

"yeah as soon as i hear anything i'll let you know"

etc etc.

very depressing. Crying or Very Sad

Demand your money back that is total BS. If they don't then if you have receipts for it all (you should have?) go to the Dept of Business & Consumer Affairs.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Mon, 19 September 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx Driftspec, yes i do have the reciept still.

And i probably will do what you said, if they don't refund my money. I am just waiting that bit longer just incase it does actually arrive. But sounds too bogus to be true. $3000 for a jza70 MANUAL halfcut. Rolling Eyes

Will let you know how i go.
Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: swapping 7mgte in ma70 with 1jzgte - will it fit????? Mon, 19 September 2005 03:19 Go to previous message
dingaling wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 12:44

Thanx Driftspec, yes i do have the reciept still.

And i probably will do what you said, if they don't refund my money. I am just waiting that bit longer just incase it does actually arrive. But sounds too bogus to be true. $3000 for a jza70 MANUAL halfcut. Rolling Eyes

Will let you know how i go.

Is it a well known company?.. PM me the name if you want.

3k is pretty cheap for a manual cut.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:will a 14" 60 profile tyre and a 15" 60 profile tyre have same rolling diameter?
Next Topic:Defi Help?????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:10:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063309669494629 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.