Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How do I stop Turbo Compressor Surge???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Kurt.R
Regular

February 2005
How do I stop Turbo Compressor Surge??? Thu, 15 September 2005 10:59 Go to next message
I've just had my FJ20 turbo rebuilt using a ballbearing housing and a different compressor wheel.
The old wheel was cropped fairly heavily which made it good for top end but a bit laggy.
The new one is not cropped at all and I'm stoked with the response and midrange power but it has really bad compressor surge.
For example when doing about 100km/hr in 5th, if i put my foot down and wait for it to spool up, it gets to a point where the wastegate flutters even though i'm accelerating and the engine shudders. It doesn't do it if I hammer it but when I accelerate slowly it's really bad.
My tuner suggested that my intake might be a bit small (2 1/2")
and about a foot long.
Any ideas???

Cheers,
Kurt.
  Send a private message to this user    
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How do I stop Turbo Compressor Surge??? Thu, 15 September 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Google has some pretty good results from other guys with similar issues.

Compressor surge occurs when the compressor wheel is accelerated to a point where it is able to provide little flow for the amount pressure ratio (boost), this is shown on a compressor efficiency map as the surge or choke line on the left hand side. It tends to be particularly evident with small exhaust housing/turbine combos with large compressor wheels, I *think this has a lot to do with insufficient exhaust flow compared to the amount of air that the compressor is supplying.

Apart from backcutting the turbine blades, or going up a size in exhaust housing A/R ratio, some people have had success with machining a step in the compressor housing near the leading edge of the comp wheel's blades.... but nothing is guaranteed Sad

Good luck

*edit* By the way, wastegates don't flutter Cool

[Updated on: Thu, 15 September 2005 12:06]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How do I stop Turbo Compressor Surge??? Thu, 15 September 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like you need to look at your plumbing first up.. How big is the turbo? And how badly matched is it? You might be able to 'get round' it by using a more complicated boost contol system, but you really need to fix the underlying problem though.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: How do I stop Turbo Compressor Surge??? Thu, 15 September 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fit a turbocompressor surge tank

that will get rid of any surging heheeh
Kurt.R
Regular

February 2005
Re: How do I stop Turbo Compressor Surge??? Fri, 16 September 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a turbocompressor surge tank but i couldn't find my left handed screwdriver to fit it Smile

Annnyyywaaay, i'm using a Gizmo electronic boost controller but i don't think it has much to do with that.
I'll try the plumbing first and see how I go.
Thanx guys.
4ag20t
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: How do I stop Turbo Compressor Surge??? Sat, 17 September 2005 02:53 Go to previous message
compressor surge, sucks hey!
My nissan RB20 had the worst compressor surge when a hi. flowed/crossed bred turbo got fitted. I tried all things to stop it from changing intercooler pipes, by-passing the intercooler and the turbo shop even changed comp wheels and other stuff. In the end i changed to a off the shelf turbo and no more compressor surge. Your problem will be a missed mached turbo combo of some sort. Try changing all the parts in the enginr bay and you won't fix it- i think you should get a different turbo.Your turbo will probably work fine on some other engine just not yours, much like mine did.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:elf oil ny good?
Next Topic:wheel bearings
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 23:56:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054111480712891 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.