Toymods » General Car Talk » Want to respray my car but I am getting ripped off

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GTV AE86
Regular

June 2005
Want to respray my car but I am getting ripped off Tue, 13 September 2005 04:47 Go to next message
Hi, I am from Adelaide and I want to respray the red panda GTV that I own.

I have been looking around at getting my car resprayed exept for the bonnet and sunroof, but most of the quotes are $8,000 to $15,000. One place would still charge over $10,000 even if the rear quarters were cut and welded (to add flare guards), all windows taken out, pretty much a shell, and if I supplied the paint.

Can anyone help me out? I want to keep it panda red (but maybe put a pearl in the red and make it darker). I dont have the room or time to repsray it myself.

I need to find someone that can help.

I also posted n parts wanted thread. Didnt know which thread to post in. Confused
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Want to respray my car but I am getting ripped off Tue, 13 September 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For an every day good quality re-spray should pay around 5k - 6k. 10k + like you have been quoted should be very high show quality.
Dorio86
Regular

August 2005
Re: Want to respray my car but I am getting ripped off Tue, 13 September 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

[Updated on: Tue, 13 September 2005 05:00]

EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Want to respray my car but I am getting ripped off Tue, 13 September 2005 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ask around at your local automotive tafe, they should be able to hook you up with a paint job for under 2.5k

theyve been known to do a good job too Very Happy

Eldar.O.
KOPDIS
Regular

June 2002
Re: Want to respray my car but I am getting ripped off Tue, 13 September 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont understand MANY places in Melb that i enquired at for my AE86 would do it in baked 2pac for $2-3K, in original colour not a colour change.

Granted though that one that was 5-6K would be in that fancy glasurit shit which i dunno what it is exactly or what the benifit would be? seems pretty insane to for me to pay 5K on a paint job for a 5K car Rolling Eyes hell even a 15K car!
GTV AE86
Regular

June 2005
Re: Want to respray my car but I am getting ripped off Tue, 13 September 2005 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I just have to keep at it. I need to find a descent respected place that just wont rip people off or try to scare people off.

I was hoping that someone may have known of a good place around Adelaide that they may have used.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Want to respray my car but I am getting ripped off Tue, 13 September 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends on the place and if it is a full respray inside and out etc etc. ive seen blokes in the trade pay $9000 just for the paint.most of the time you get waht you pay for,sometimes it isnt the case.shop around a bit and see what other prices you can find!
mick
GTV AE86
Regular

June 2005
Re: Want to respray my car but I am getting ripped off Thu, 15 September 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found two place that would do it for $5,000.
One is willing to take out all dings, fix rust spots, and cut out the rear wheel arches and glue on and blend in the origin lab rear arch flares, and ducktail wing.

The other won be willing to go as far.

Do you guys think that is a descent price?

[Updated on: Thu, 15 September 2005 07:22]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Want to respray my car but I am getting ripped off Thu, 15 September 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends on the extent of your dings and rust.. but for $5k that sounds good!
make sure you check out some of their previous work first
born_rollar
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Want to respray my car but I am getting ripped off Thu, 15 September 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well im a ap 1st yr at C.W. Robinson on Halifax st. I can get u the best paint for pretty cheap if you have the formula we use the same paint as BMW and all the other euro & German cars the high $$ sh!t. i know the suppliers for the paint. to do my car (AE86) minus bumpers is 1.5lts with left over should be some where like 1.3Lts but leave bit for some fuck ups and unexpected sh!t to happen in the paint and what not. thats $130-170ish for the sky blue (met) stock colour but if u want pearl thats a bit more. Depending what type and how much u want in it and what affect u want it to have on the flip and shit. but two tones a fucking bitch and if u stack it with pearl Laughing good luck getting it to match if u ever loose the formula but stock red with pearl shouldnt be to bad ill ask at work but u will probably have to bring ya car in. but dont say any think about what other people have quoted u see the big $$ is if your car has got scratch's chips and sh!t coz then its more man hr's sanding and priming if thats what your quoted for and if its dented then that need to be fixed and shit so if ya paints good no rust, chips and shit. It shouldnt be like $8000 call up and ask the numbers in my thingo down there but u dont know me Cool

the thing with saying u will bring ya own paint is that there paint my be different and they dont what u saying u got it done there coz your paint is diff and there sh!t is diff and they react and the job turns out sh!t house! they dont want it on there name this said if u do use us i should be able to get u the paint we use for "cost" or ill just send u down to the place to get it mixed up ya self depending if your a d!ckhead or not. Dont take offence i just dont want them angry at me since there good people.

oh and our painters are some of the best our "master painter" has been using the paint pretty much since it first ever hit Adelaide and hes been painting cars since he was 16 hes now 35 cough*36*cough soon id trust him along with any other painter at C.DUB. With my baby and "NO" one touches my hachi! so there good painters mines going in for a complete custom job at some point once i have found my colour and...FUCK...for $15,000 think they be a pimp my ride car with like fairy dust thats sh!ts like $2,500 for 1lt and its takes about 2lts for a car Razz fuck that

Anyway give C.DUBU. A try and see what ya think

[Updated on: Sat, 17 September 2005 04:43]

born_rollar
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Want to respray my car but I am getting ripped off Thu, 15 September 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just read ya other post yeah 5k's pretty dayum good but see what there paint jobs have turned out like somt places are dodgy and if theres and old dude doing it ^o) be weary they go "a bit" blind in there old age

lol that fancy glasurit shit is the paint we use and yeah its the best paint u can buy eg why the price tag compared to PPG bullsh!t u get wat u pay for and glasurit is some of the best paint in the world BMW farrari mercades and mostly all the car company use it as there touch up paint when they fuck up on the line coz they kno its good.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 September 2005 09:29]

MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: Want to respray my car but I am getting ripped off Thu, 15 September 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do it urself
GTV AE86
Regular

June 2005
Re: Want to respray my car but I am getting ripped off Thu, 15 September 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I could I would. But I do not have the time nor the room to do it.

TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Want to respray my car but I am getting ripped off Fri, 16 September 2005 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GTV AE86 wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 22:02

5k for a respray?
I'm very suprised how much money companies are making for just coating a car in paint and doing a bit of preperation...

I'm very suprised you don't have the time, Because on an average wage of say $20 an hour, you'd have to do at least 250-300 hours (thats not including the money lost in tax) just to afford this respray...

OR....

U could buy a Compressor, a DECENT spray gun, paint, thinners, sand paper, wax and grease remover, rent out a garage for a few days, stop work for a few days for leave for instance, and u'd still have AT LEAST $4000 left over in ur hands...

I'm suprised ppl don't have time but would still work those extra say 250-300 hours for the convience..

I'll be respraying my car without a doubt, Its gonna cost Less than $200 for everythin, i have the compressor already!
RP_st162
Regular

May 2004
Re: Want to respray my car but I am getting ripped off Fri, 16 September 2005 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey man
have you tried the fellas down at performance crash down on Stanbel Road, Salisbury??? They do good jobs at decent prices, lifetime guarantees as well and etc, etc

had a few jobs done there before, one was a mates mx6 which was resprayed with a LOT of work done and cost 2.5k

Well good luck either way you go.

[Updated on: Fri, 16 September 2005 15:44]

-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: Want to respray my car but I am getting ripped off Fri, 16 September 2005 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD-ST162 wrote on Sat, 17 September 2005 00:51

GTV AE86 wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 22:02

5k for a respray?
I'm very suprised how much money companies are making for just coating a car in paint and doing a bit of preperation...

I'm very suprised you don't have the time, Because on an average wage of say $20 an hour, you'd have to do at least 250-300 hours (thats not including the money lost in tax) just to afford this respray...

OR....

U could buy a Compressor, a DECENT spray gun, paint, thinners, sand paper, wax and grease remover, rent out a garage for a few days, stop work for a few days for leave for instance, and u'd still have AT LEAST $4000 left over in ur hands...

I'm suprised ppl don't have time but would still work those extra say 250-300 hours for the convience..

I'll be respraying my car without a doubt, Its gonna cost Less than $200 for everythin, i have the compressor already!

some people just dont have the knowledge,skills or experience required.like myself Sad
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Want to respray my car but I am getting ripped off Fri, 16 September 2005 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A couple of years ago i got a sprinter repainted in metalic blue and it set me back by about 3.5k. It was going to be more, but somehow after suggesting that i didnt need a receipt, the we got it for 3.5k. Thats for the exterior and the inside of the doors done (painted) and rust removed. The engine bay and cabin were not touched.

In hindsight, i'd strip the cat at home (was living in a unit then), and send the thing bare for them to sort out.
born_rollar
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Want to respray my car but I am getting ripped off Sat, 17 September 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5k is good for what he wants. Coz dont forget hes got to go thru to different sections of the work shop. He wants rust and flares and dents done thats the panel beaters job and if your cars had things dune before they have to fix offer peoples fuck ups. Thats time and money what u want could take a week or so coz its done properly. At trade rates its a lot of money theres prep there labor theres equipment theres all different things they all add up. Then u got the painters section and this were I know what a good panel beater is worth. We have to fix what the panel beaters were to lazy to do for us e.g. ruff bog (to lazy to sand finer) and so on. theres the prep thats time and money again there's primer, paint, clear, thinners, prep thinners, sand paper, equipment, booth time, fuel, trade rates, and more.... it's all is adding up. a good job is worth the money. All that at 2.5k is going to be dodgy as F^CK.

"Life time is for only as long as U own the car."

If u planning on owning the car for many year's dont go cheap.

[Updated on: Sat, 17 September 2005 04:40]

GTV AE86
Regular

June 2005
Re: Want to respray my car but I am getting ripped off Sat, 17 September 2005 09:05 Go to previous message
Well I am planning to hold on to the car for as long as I can. So I believe it is worth the money to get something done right and that it is going to last.

$5,000 is a lot of money but, its much better than the other quotes that I got (Up to $15,000). The paint work will be guaranteed for the time i have the car, so that is a bonus. Plus there is quite a bit of prep work to get it ready for painting.

And finally I want it to be done right the first time and not having to keep fixing things on it. Its the peace of mind that I will get from knowing that the car is being fixed by people who know how to do the job correctly. And if they dont they have to fix it until its right. Very Happy

Any way when I do end up taking the car there I will try to barter them down a bit more.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:wtf how bullet proof are st162s
Next Topic:What do these mags look like ? Chasers..?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:57:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066549777984619 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.