Toymods » General Car Talk » ST162 dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 13 September 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey TRD seen you aren't using that gt4 front bar anymore........ care to sell it? Very Happy

also got pricing on front lip of standard 162,

comes up to around 230$ for the side parts and main part, is it worth looking around wreckers to try and beat this price?

OH AND 58, we're slow.. stupid mr2 drivers and their incessant banter! Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 13 September 2005 12:06]

Send a private message to this user    
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 13 September 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'd probably find that most wreckers have already been picked clean of those lip bits, but you never know your luck! I dont recall adrian ever having a GT4 front bar... Confused
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 13 September 2005 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good point, just saw the fog lights and thought it was one Confused
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 13 September 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charliechalk wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 01:02

Good point, just saw the fog lights and thought it was one Confused

Ahhh the joys of illusion hahaha!!!!
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 14 September 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
someone find me a gt4 bar or cheap ssv one and ill have a front lip for sale
CLEEKA
Regular

April 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 14 September 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i might get a beams n/a for 4g's,

what gearbox mods do i need? or can it bolt straight up?
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 14 September 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go for it man, be the first to actually do the beams conversion in the ST162!

As far as I know any 'S' series gearbox will bolt straight in. The bolt holes in the castings are the same, just bolt up the mount brackets from the original transmission. Im not so sure if the same applies to the auto tho.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 14 September 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the gearbox wont work at all Razz youll need to give it to me ill take it off ur hands or something Razz haha jokes
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 14 September 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLEEKA wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 20:01

i might get a beams n/a for 4g's,

what gearbox mods do i need? or can it bolt straight up?

are you going to leave your auto on the end of it?

is that price for the engine alone?

the auto gearbox will bolt straight on! but why would you? Confused

if you can get ur hands on the beams manual transmission (LSD), you will be in possesion of the most sought after gearbox in this thread, everyone here including myself will be drooling with anticipation that u will sell it to them Razz. (except for Rob).

keep us updated on what your thoughts are.

Karl
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 15 September 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not me i got 3 of them lol..... post whore...

carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 15 September 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HEY GUYS!!!

who wants to lookinto doing a GROUP order from SSV!!!
im definetly up for some side skirts!!

gather interest and post up here!!!
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 15 September 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer im down.. i want skirts and maybe front bar... ill defineatly have funds so count me in for that...
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 15 September 2005 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know the skrits go under the door protector things but i dont have them and i dont want them so i might have to glass mine to the car??? lol or something
CLEEKA
Regular

April 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 15 September 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
beams comes with 6 speed manual, but its rwd?

maybe price was bit lower, a guy i know who builds kit cars friend got it but can't use it because of certain rules etc
CLEEKA
Regular

April 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 15 September 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so if i get the engine, it bolt directly up my my st162 auto?

smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 15 September 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do a search on it, there's two beams motors - the one with the 6sp manual is the RWD variant which wont work in FWD AFAIK. The lower crankcase is heaps bigger and i think the engine sits on a different angle.
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 15 September 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ya, just get a red beams instead of black beams. Cheaper, 10hp less but fwd 5 speed and lsd. last I checked 4.5k for a front cut, should be a direct swap barring electronics Confused
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 15 September 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just be careful when shopping around - FWD gen 4 (beams) engines come with red (celica) and black (caldina) rocker covers. Engines are identical except for the configuration of the emissions gear. Both engines have single cam VVT, the RWD blacktop beams has dual VVT.
micster
Newcomer

August 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 15 September 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Guys,

I'm after a Aircon Compressor for a 3SGE Gen 1. Anyone got a spare that they want to get sell??

PM me.

Michael.
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 15 September 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
micster wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 21:51

Hi Guys,

I'm after a Aircon Compressor for a 3SGE Gen 1. Anyone got a spare that they want to get sell??

PM me.

Michael.

I have one. i will have a look tomorrow to see if its any good.

i have started a new ST162 wrecking thread for anyone needing any parts.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=80935&rid=5064&S=61b867eae512e87769c06e8 21ec1b5c7

Karl
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 17 September 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have one also let me know if u cant find yours karl
bonbon
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 17 September 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looking good adrian Cool

guess u never needed my sideskirts hehehe

hows the clearence of the front bar, i wanna redo mine so i have a lip just sacred itll crack open, cuz it scraps now even thou its missing a massive chunk

do the beams!!!!! i was about to but couldnt find one Nope
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 17 September 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Going to be buying some wheels soon. So I went for a look around the local places and then decided that tempe tyres have the cheapest packages I could find (online or asking in person).

But I was disappointed by the complete lack of range in 16" wheels that everyone has. Is there something wrong with having 16" wheels?(rhetorical) Tempe have a huge range, but I'm fussy. So fussy that I don't like chrome Rolling Eyes . Which narrows my options on their site down to a whole of 3 wheels.

Regardless of this, I found one that would look ok I think and suits my taste. They are called lite 5's (by starcorp racing or someone) weigh 6kg each and come in the exact size that I was looking for 16x7. I did a cheap photoshop and put them on a red celica (trd's, only picture I could find mind you I didn't look very hard) will post up and get thoughts.

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/2436/kit8tg4ia.jpg

Obviously they won't look that big and it's a cheap photoshop but it was just to get an idea
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 17 September 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks good, gotta love the 5 spokes, can't go wrong with the 5 spoke Very Happy
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 17 September 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5 spoke = r0xx0r Very Happy

hey did you try Australia's Best? tyres.com I think..
MidnightBlue
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 17 September 2005 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello fellow celica owners Smile I just found this website, i came from 4gcelica.net & I live in australia. Nice to see there are other 4th gen enthusiasts Cool

Here are some pictures of my car, Blue Lightning Razz

My most favourite picture Very Happy
http://4gcelica.net/albums/DMRcelica/topview.sized.jpg

Hope to chat to you all real soon Smile
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 17 September 2005 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks alright mate Very Happy welcome to toymods.
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 18 September 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that looks sweet, got the kit and all, might need a lil lowering job to cover those gaps Very Happy (4wd factor) Laughing , but did you keep the original T-Vis with that Gen2 3sge?
MidnightBlue
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 18 September 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the warm welcome guys Smile

Lol i was actually planning on raising the suspension at one stage as the car was a bit too low for me Razz But i decided that the only suspension work on this car would only be stiffer springs, I really like the height, it's pretty practable, after driving it for the last few months. I can't deal with low cars, need to drive up drive ways without damaging anything Razz
And to answer your question, ST162GT-R, we decided to leave the normal t-vis, the mr2 one is still around somewhere in my dads workshop & so is the mr2 gearbox with lsd lol I dunno whether changing the t-vis to the thingy that came with the mr2 would be worth it, but i would love to play with the lsd one day Very Happy

smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 18 September 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet car mate, obviously well loved! Very Happy Did you do the full gen 2 conversion using the gen 2 ECU, or are you running the gen2 block with the gen 1 setup?
MidnightBlue
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 18 September 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Mr Smashed Wombat, nice to meet you Smile I don't think we put in the gen 2 ecu. I'm curious, how much of a difference does it make? And also what does a "block" mean? I'm thinking that block means the engine block? lol I'm noob, hence silly question Razz If what i think is right, then i believe we used gen 1 setup as it involves the least amount of work (lol my dad is mechanic and runs own business- so he's very busy), as I needed to drive the car to get my P's at the time. It took only a few hours to get it up and running, so I guess I can't complain ^-^

Yup, i treasure my car as it takes me places. The engine is 1996 and has only 45,000km's Very Happy
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 18 September 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would assume you would be using the Gen 1 ecu if your running the T-Vis cause the Gen2's never had T-ViS, yeah you need to get that LSD in play, thats the envy of most st162 owners.
MidnightBlue
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 18 September 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is the one for the gen 2 motor? It doesn't have any words on it. I'm very much a noob Razz
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 18 September 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey everyone
I got some 15s for sale if anyones interested..
Makes any celica look very neat indeed...
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=80833&start=0&rid=3960&S=32fed20761c a51db95919397c5a8166a
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 18 September 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Rob, found a few more that could be a possibility including some oz racing rims, not the ones I was really looking for (the white 5 spoke rally ones but the superturismo) Making enquires. Damn you sydneyites and having numerous good wheel stores. Sad
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 18 September 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wanna sell ur mr2 lsd box Razz if so shotgun
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 18 September 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha vulture! Razz *spam* Very Happy
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 18 September 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer gotta ask Razz..... then i have soemthing to replace the box im running so i can drive the car that little bit harder Razz
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 18 September 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok now ive almost finished rebuilding the bottom and and i was going to give the block a new coat of paint since its out but i was thinking of painting it red and also the rocker covers aswell what do you guys think? i tried photo croppping it but im shit at it so it kinda looked crap Rolling Eyes
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 18 September 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Sun, 18 September 2005 17:34

yer gotta ask Razz..... then i have soemthing to replace the box im running so i can drive the car that little bit harder Razz

Berad are you using the standard st162 box with the open diff still???
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 18 September 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
camry box same sought of shit but yer open diff... tyre loves it it decides to run lsd every now and then u think thats a good thing lol Razz
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 18 September 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah leave the block black dirty Razz... i painted my cam cover im stripping the paint off though and gunna polish it
im a big fan of chrome in the engine bay now lol
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 18 September 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HEy brad, just curious as to what you're gonna do with the exterior of the car?Are you going to match up to that shiny engine bay of yours?

takahashi
Regular

January 2003

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 19 September 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check the for sale threads, my recently rear ended st162 is for sale. Lots of good parts, engine is in good nick.
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 19 September 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I noticed some people were interested in the SSV bodykit, I MIGHT have a Rear bar available (my one) but yeah I will sell based on interest.
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 19 September 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Midnight Blue, your car looks great! I have never seen that body kit before, nice to see a totally unique ST162. Any idea who makes (or made, as the case may be) that kit? Welcome to Toymods and the best thread on the forum. Cool

I'll say a quick hi to everone else here too, been a while since I have poked my head in the 162 dedicated thread! Just letting you know I am still alive and kicking, just been really busy lately. Going to be taking some time off work fairly soon to do some serious work on the car, can't wait!

Laters,
Matt

[Updated on: Mon, 19 September 2005 06:43]

warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 19 September 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice midnightblue and welcome, i have to agree with the lowering of the car though. matt86sx, thats the SSV kit dude, it even has the SSV rear spoiler. Confused

matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 19 September 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whoops heh heh, you're absolutely right Karl, my bad Embarassed

I didn't recognise it at first, the spotlights threw me off. And I haven't seen that rear spoiler fitted to a car before, until I had a look at the SSV website, that is.......

Well, there's proof positive that I am no ST162 guru!

*ducks back into hibernation*
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 19 September 2005 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer its gettin painted before it comes back

go on ozcelica check out the for sale thing theres a d00d on there whos brother has a mould for the ssv kit for the 162 its all cheaper maybe if we can get a combination of 3 or 4 kits we can get it even cheaper im not interestd in the rear bar or the wing so yer
MidnightBlue
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 19 September 2005 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys =]

berad, i want my mr2 lsd box lol Razz but i believe there are places that may have some though, they are wreckers or something and some of them have half cuts, i got my whole block with tranny for $au350 cuz my dad knew the guy =] There this one place called japanese wreckers or something like that, it should have what you're looking for, hope it helps Smile
does having lsd really make much of a difference? like i mean, i heard heaps about the integra type r lsd, but i haven't heard much about mr2's lsd :S

Heya matt86sx & warrior, thanks for the compliment & warm welcome Very Happy yup the whole thing is the ssv kit, they give you a package discount if you buy it all =]
lol warrior, if i do lower car, practability will be lowered too, i luv to drive something that is easy to get into drive ways and out of them & also a breeze to park without having to worry about crashing the lower front, so it'll have to stay 4wd style for me lol I do agree it will look better but i prefer less headaches and heartaches from crashing my car Very Happy
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 20 September 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alot more traction taking off and around corners although with std suspension cornering fast could be an issue
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 20 September 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I had a fun day today, at least some of it. I got my new front valance (front lip in toyota technical terms Rolling Eyes )

And I got a reply to my email from tempe tyres. Now I asked 5 or so questions and got an answer to none. But I did get an answer to something that I didn't even want to know Confused .

So I guess online shopping for wheels just doesn't work when they don't read the entire email. Off to find some good wheel/tyre places around me I go Very Happy .

And a general question who prefers 16's and who prefers 17's? Smile

Also to get more traction around corners you can remove roll berad Razz Get some chunky swaybars as well as an mr2 box Smile
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 20 September 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My tax money has come through and i now have the dosh to start the great gen2 NA build up. Still trying to decide on what size cams i should get - im after something that will pack a punch (more midrange and top end) but i dont want my low end torque and daily driving style to suffer too much.

Anyone have any ideas on what sorta size?POssibly something around 264, maybe even 272?i dunno, would that be very very crap to drive on the street?

Other mods will be ported,port matched, stronger springs, shimless conversion, metal HG(just for safety) extractors, hiflow exhuast. Oh, and microtech

Cheers
trd3sg
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 21 September 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stuC

im assuming ur gonna run aftermarket ecu with that (otherwise you're up shit creek from now)

so i will point out the following:

1. I have driven carbied cars with massive cams almost 300 degree and over 500 thou lift - these were carbied and were a mofo to drive in traffic and in streets where speed humps exist (aaarrrgh - u will pull ur hair out)- but this is carby youre talking bout and jet correction and venturi sizes play a massive role here

2. With an aftermarket computer setup correctly with good a/f and timing, the right balance of compression and cam duration, youre driveability will not alter too much. - remember larger cams are only there to increase ur volumetric efficiency and theres no point increasing your cam duration if your porting and compression are not adequate enough to support the extra duration so your volumetric efficiency increases

3. i personally will be running quite big cams but my compression will not be sky high cos of the cost of forgies at this point and the limit to shaving the head. So i will focus on head design more than anything and computer tuning.

thats my advice mate

cheers
Mick
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 21 September 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get 359 degree cams Razz If you wanted a guide for a decent cam I suppose you could check out the 2nd cam profile for either the beams or the 2zzge that they use for vvt, Similar rev range I think.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 23 September 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry guys, i really cant be bothered finding it amoungst the 60 odd pages u guys have cranked up. so im jus gonna ask.

im looking at buying a 1987 ST Celica with a blown motor. as far as i know, its a 162, not 100%, can sum1 confirm this?
main question is, wat engine does it have. cause i havent seen that much into it yet, and im jus considering if its worth buying and replacing another stock motor into it.
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 23 September 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes its an st162,
it has a 3sfe motor in it,
no its not worth replacing with this motor again
if i was u i would replace it with a 2nd gen 3sge motor or do a 3sgte conversion
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 23 September 2005 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokey228 wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 11:02

sorry guys, i really cant be bothered finding it amoungst the 60 odd pages u guys have cranked up. so im jus gonna ask.

im looking at buying a 1987 ST Celica with a blown motor. as far as i know, its a 162, not 100%, can sum1 confirm this?
main question is, wat engine does it have. cause i havent seen that much into it yet, and im jus considering if its worth buying and replacing another stock motor into it.

the ST has a 3SFE camry gutless engine. the ST has the perfect setup to do a 3sgte. it already has the fan mounted on the outside of the radiator support and the gearbox starter motor is in the correct position to do so.

good luck Wink

Karl
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 23 September 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how tricky is this?
does the 3sge box bolts up?
im best off getting a half cut then arent i? cause ill need alot of the little things that wont hook up from the 3sfe?

thanks
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 23 September 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Smokey228 wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 11:33

how tricky is this?
does the 3sge box bolts up?
im best off getting a half cut then arent i? cause ill need alot of the little things that wont hook up from the 3sfe?

thanks

its not that hard to do if you are good with your hands.

the 3SFE gearbox will work fine. everything will depend on your budget. this topic has been covered several times in different threads, and your best off doing a search and enjoy a little reading.

Karl
Pages (63): [ «  <  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: '76 Corona MKII
Next Topic:Old photos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 23:23:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.014945030212402 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.