Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Sump question...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Sump question... Wed, 14 September 2005 02:37 Go to next message
hey guys my bro jus ripped open the oil sump on the corolla, and i got a shit load of oil to clean up.
wat i need to know, is wats a good way to clean oil in a large area? the whole sump spilt out onto the driveway which is paved. so i need sum sort of a cleaning agent to clean up the driveway.

wat u guys recommend?

also, if anyone has a sump tank for a 4af then that would be deffinetly needed. would really appreciate it. sydney only though cause car needs to get on the road.

**EDIT**
now heres the tech question. at first i thought it was a engine sump, cause the oil was fair black, bout it turns out to be gearbox oil, which was in desperate need of changing.
wat i wanted to know was, the part i have taken off is the dish under the gearbox, which i beleive is a gearbox sump, but is it a gearbox sump?

thanks guys,
jasom

[Updated on: Fri, 16 September 2005 11:34]

Send a private message to this user    
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: oil spill!!! Wed, 14 September 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First soak up all the excess with sand/dirt, leave it to soak, then sweep it up. Then, give it a squirt with engine degreaser. Do it a section at a time, letting one section soak for a few minutes, as you give the first section a scrub then hose. This isn't exactly environmentally friendly, so the best thing to do is build a sand/newspaper dam on the runoff areas to catch all the slime/oil/muck before it goes down the stormwater. If you take your time and take care you should get away with minimum damage. The less water you have to use the less messy it gets.

The area you clean will repel water for a month or so, but it will look cleaner than the rest of the drive Cool
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: oil spill!!! Wed, 14 September 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey, wat i wanted to double check. is do i need a whole sump or is it jus the bottom cover part? or is that the whole sump.

thanks for the newb question.
jason
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: oil spill!!! Wed, 14 September 2005 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
storm water isnt a problem cause i live in the bush basically. and oil will run into the dirt end of my driveway.
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: oil spill!!! Wed, 14 September 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Use Kitty Litter, to soak up the excess then do like cannonball
has said.
Quote:

Then, give it a squirt with engine degreaser. Do it a section at a time, letting one section soak for a few minutes, as you give the first section a scrub then hose.

Then just for safety keep a bag or 2 in your garage for this sort of thing.
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: oil spill!!! Wed, 14 September 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could try a high pressure water gun. i have one with a little pipe which u can use to suck up soap to spray your car, but it should work with engine degreaser. but the high pressure should remove the oil totally anyways.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: oil spill!!! Wed, 14 September 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh, im thinking a high pressure hose is more realistic.

u guys dun understand how much oil there really is. it is a full load of oil(prolly like 4L) which flooded down onto the pavers, which are on an incline then the oil run down the rest of the pavers.

there is also a big fat line of oil from the bottom of the pavers to the top of the pavers where my brother drove up the driveway without realising how much damage had been dun.

the main puddle didnt get to far cause we were quick to get news paper onto it. which sorta stoped it from leaking further, than we got dirt onto it. so the excess is all gone. but the stain is about 2m by 1.5m, with a 6-7m line trailing up, which is about 40cm thick from splash n run off.

ill see if i can borrow the neighbours gun to clean the mess off.

thanks guys,
jason
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: oil spill!!! Wed, 14 September 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ha ha you should see my garage, two engine conversions later and its a mess. I too was curious as i have done the hard yards with sand. I was so interested in the topic i went around mechanics to ask how to get it off. And the SURE fire way to get oil of you driveway.....hydrochloric acid. they reckon it'll clean anything lol. i doubt i will be trying it though.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: oil spill!!! Wed, 14 September 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why not??? Just use gloves...
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: oil spill!!! Wed, 14 September 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how many pavers roughly would you say are covered in oil?
might be easier to just replace the pavers
depending on how spread out the oil is.
but im only suggesting that because i know how to pave
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: oil spill!!! Wed, 14 September 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahahha, tryin to do a cash job huh? Razz

its prolly bout a hundred. give or take. but i refuse to do any counting of bricks, and mathematical assumptions. lol i absolutely refuse.

tomorrow ill give metho a try on a small section. if that doesnt work, ill try sum sorta industrial cleaner. maybe go check out the local bunnings. im thinking sum sort of 'safish' acid would go down nicely.

i might also try bleach on a small section, and sum ol fashion elbow grease. although i dun like the idea of adding any form of grease to an oil stain. Razz lol
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: oil spill!!! Wed, 14 September 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
let us know how it goes.

As for the acid idea i have no trouble trying it it is all about what you do with it after??? just hose it onto the lawn would not be a good idea probably, plus for my sake, we are talking about a garage! yes inside. i don't know if it would be good to hose or sweep (he he acid and a broom) it all out.
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: oil spill!!! Wed, 14 September 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokey228 wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 19:50

ahahha, tryin to do a cash job huh? Razz

its prolly bout a hundred. give or take. but i refuse to do any counting of bricks, and mathematical assumptions. lol i absolutely refuse.

no. i said i know how to pave, didnt say i was good at it, id get my sisters BF to do.
if it is around 100 the cost involved would outweigh the benefit i imagine.
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: oil spill!!! Thu, 15 September 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey, show us a pic if u got a digicam. i would like to see this huge spill. Very Happy

just buy a 4 ltr bottle of degreaser, pour the whole thing out onto the stain, let it site for 10 min, then get at it with the high pressure water gun. but make sure to wash it down with alot of water after wards, as the degreaser might break down the bonds holding some types of pavers together(and they wont last as long). same goes for acid, etc.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: oil spill!!! Thu, 15 September 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The technique i outlined works a treat, no high pressure hose needed. My Subaru decided to pump the entire contents of the sump all over the drive at my place, and I got it all up no worries.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 September 2005 01:30]

Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: oil spill!!! Thu, 15 September 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meh people will only hear what they want.
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: oil spill!!! Thu, 15 September 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heres what i recon u should do, and im my experience this should work (me and a friend run a property maintenance bizz and we deal with strata commercial and industrial cleaning so i know a thing or 2 about this).

(1) go to a cleaning supply shop and buy a 15L drum (or smaller if they have it) of heavy duty degreaser

(2) borrow a gurney with an attachment that sprays cleaning compounds

(3) spray the area with degreaser using the gurney

(4) use high pressure nozzle (if it has a turbo nozzle that works in a circular motion use this) to blast out the oil

(5) repeat steps (3) and (4) until its clean

that should do the job but remember the longer u leave it the harder it will be to clean it up as it will be soaked up by the pavers if they are porous
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: oil spill!!! Fri, 16 September 2005 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahah, kewl thanks man. ill give that a try.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Sump question... Fri, 16 September 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now heres the tech question. at first i thought it was a engine sump, cause the oil was fair black, bout it turns out to be gearbox oil, which was in desperate need of changing.
wat i wanted to know was, the part i have taken off is the dish under the gearbox, which i beleive is a gearbox sump, but is it a gearbox sump?

jason
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Sump question... Thu, 29 September 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you cleaned it up yet? what did you do out of interest, i have been lazy and mine is still a bit of a mess.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Sump question... Fri, 30 September 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, ive decided to let it clean itself up, the natural way. i think its best this way!...

im trying to convince my uncle to come round wif the gurney Razz but this may take sum time. lol
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Sump question... Fri, 30 September 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bunnings sell cheap high pressure sprayers for under $100 now... why wait for the loaned gurney?

plus you'll then have a handy parts cleaner (soak parts in expensive Kenko degreaser, hose off with sprayer, rinse in hot water to heat up and aid evaporation, done).
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Sump question... Sat, 01 October 2005 00:07 Go to previous message
my uncles got a petrol powered high pressure hose. its rediculous the power its got. and its free to borrow Razz

*tight ass and deffinetly not in denial* Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1G-GTE Fuel consumption in a RT-142
Next Topic:4agze gear box
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:25:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066838264465332 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.