Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » please confirm or dismiss the "double synchro W58"2J box

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
petespipes
Regular

July 2005
please confirm or dismiss the "double synchro W58"2J box Sun, 04 September 2005 15:43 Go to next message
i have gathered info courtesy of reliable sources on this site.Once confirmed [in my belief] i record same info for future reference.
I have recorded thar a w58 sourced from a na 2Jzge hs double synchros on second and third gear plus an improved shifter design.
as this info has been disputed I request people with first hand knowledge to clarify the situation please.
for those that are unaware,the term "first hand knowledge" refers to a fact you have witnessed with your own eyes or perhaps quoting an indisputable source? [do they exist]
please take this in a friendly context but all the same,I really would like to get to the bottom of it as I would hate to be offering bullshit advice.these gearboxes are expensive and hard to find.

thanks in advance.cheers.pete. Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: please confirm or dismiss the "double synchro W58"2J box Mon, 05 September 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wilbo and I compared a few W5x gearsets at my place recently, including my old JZA80 W58. What we found:

- No evidence of double synchro's, although the design of the synchro rings was slightly different.

- No way does reverse have synchromesh on it (this is another rumour you may have heard).

- Bearings are slightly wider on input shaft and output shaft.

- Some gears are slightly wider, including the layshaft gears at the front of the box and reverse for some reason.

- Shifter design is different but the changes are minor. The selector shaft is mounted on roller bearings, not sure if that makes much difference though.

That's all I can remember. Wilbo has some photos which he might post when he sees this thread. Smile
petespipes
Regular

July 2005
Re: please confirm or dismiss the "double synchro W58"2J box Mon, 05 September 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Norbie,yes it was Wilbo's info that has caused me to be questioning what I have previously accepted as fact.
This is a good example of how these myths or misinformations spread.Do you think its possible that any W58's are double synchro? Cheers.Pete.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: please confirm or dismiss the "double synchro W58"2J box Mon, 05 September 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In Wilbo's absence I'll state a couple of things he's told me.

He believes that the JZA80 W58 is no different to the steel plate MA70 W58, and that its only the alloy plate W58's that have smaller bearings.

I'd wait for him to come online to verify this though.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: please confirm or dismiss the "double synchro W58"2J box Mon, 05 September 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

This is a good example of how these myths or misinformations spread.

These are also known as "Yankee Facts".
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: please confirm or dismiss the "double synchro W58"2J box Mon, 05 September 2005 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL it's so true. I heard all of these "facts" on Yank forums, and they've been spread around as gospel ever since. Try finding someone who's actually looked inside one of these gearboxes though!
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: please confirm or dismiss the "double synchro W58"2J box Mon, 05 September 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey pete, good to see you are trying to get to the bottom of this! Smile

Like I said, I also used to believe some of the 'facts' that were told!

Like Norbie said we had a look a few W5X gearsets at his place not that long ago. I took some detailed pictures in comparison to my W55 and W58 showing bearing/gear size differences at a later date, there are a number of pics and I think I will try and get around to putting them into a PDF sooner rather than later for all to see... Norbs has pretty well hit the nail on the head with the differences thought Smile

a few extra things...
*steel sandwitch plate W58's have a magnet on each side of the sandwitch plate
*they have a cover/oil sling? under the gears forward of the sandwitch plate.
*input shaft has slightly (vey slightly) more meat when it steps up in size.

Also as CrUZsida was saying, I suspect that all steel sandwitch plate W58's have the wider bearings/other differences, but I am yet to get my hands on a known steel plate ex MA70 W58 to confirm this firsthand...

Cheers
Wilbo
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: please confirm or dismiss the "double synchro W58"2J box Mon, 05 September 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 12:16

Quote:

Turns into 'Wankee Facts' so easily Razz

Cheers
Wilbo
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: please confirm or dismiss the "double synchro W58"2J box Wed, 14 September 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
W5X Gearbox Comparison (~1.4Meg PDF)

Cheers
Wilbo
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: please confirm or dismiss the "double synchro W58"2J box Thu, 15 September 2005 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
awesome - thanks for writing the document and posting it up here.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: please confirm or dismiss the "double synchro W58"2J box Thu, 15 September 2005 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice work Wilbo. Smile

This should be added to the tech articles!
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: please confirm or dismiss the "double synchro W58"2J box Fri, 16 September 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oooh, I have some information here which might clear up some of these "facts", and where they came from.

I got my hands on a Toyota W58 rebuild manual (dated Nov., 1991, and applicable to MA70s & MX81s with 7M-GEs, obviously) a few years ago, and it gives the following description of a W58:

* The 1st through 5th gears are constant mesh gears which use an inertia lock key type synchromesh mechanism. The reverse gear is a sliding mesh gear which is engaged by sliding the idler gear.

And more importantly:
*A multi-cone synchromesh mechanism is used on the 2nd & 3rd gears. In addition, the synchromesh mechanism of the 5th gear also constitutes part of the reverse gear synchromesh mechanism.

So I guess this is where some of these "facts" originated from.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: please confirm or dismiss the "double synchro W58"2J box Fri, 16 September 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would argue that the shift design is slightly better, as the finish on the selctor shaft is a much better design where it selects the gears.

The newer selection shaft has a vastly improved snug fit when selcting gears. Older w58 selctors are more 'rectangular' (for a lack of a better word) and are larger in size and from what i can see have more chance of catching other gears (im sure norbie and witzl can confirm this haha). This also results in a slightly lesser notchy shift in my opinion.

But its only a minor difference.

Plus you need to do this for first hand experience:

http://www.witzl.com/wst/wst-034.jpg
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: please confirm or dismiss the "double synchro W58"2J box Fri, 16 September 2005 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Fri, 16 September 2005 19:00

I would argue that the shift design is slightly better, as the finish on the selctor shaft is a much better design where it selects the gears.

The newer selection shaft has a vastly improved snug fit when selcting gears. Older w58 selctors are more 'rectangular' (for a lack of a better word) and are larger in size and from what i can see have more chance of catching other gears (im sure norbie and witzl can confirm this haha). This also results in a slightly lesser notchy shift in my opinion.

But its only a minor difference.

EDIT REMOVE PIC OF GLEN BEING A DONG Razz

Good point, I kinda glossed over that bit being slightly different. Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: please confirm or dismiss the "double synchro W58"2J box Sat, 17 September 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 12:16

Quote:

Too true. Take anything stated on a U.S forum with a large bag of salt.
petespipes
Regular

July 2005
Re: please confirm or dismiss the "double synchro W58"2J box Sat, 17 September 2005 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks all for the excellent info.Nice work on your document Wilbo!But can you "air guitar" a w58 like in blacksupras pic? Very Happy
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: please confirm or dismiss the "double synchro W58"2J box Sat, 17 September 2005 23:20 Go to previous message
Have ya tried shrinking that pic down and chopping some of the excess off?

Vote 1 - airguitar W58 for Teh Dong's new avatar Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Differences between the Group A and Formula Atlantic engines
Next Topic:4K-C!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 12:22:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068759918212891 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.