Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
pLaYa_OnE
Regular

February 2004
Sprinter Diff Confusion Thu, 15 September 2005 14:52 Go to next message
hey guys,

Before I even start I just wanna declare that i'm a n00b when it comes to my driveline. Having said that, go easy on me Very Happy

I was told a while ago that because my sprinter is Aus spec, my diff is shit enough that it isn't able to take a 1/1.5/2 way diff, so I've been reading here on toymods about the different types of diffs that I can look at... but i'm confused...

I've heard mention of both S and T series diffs, and i've also heard about complete rear axle swaps to a disc brake rear (something i'm very interested in). I still have no idea what seperates my diff housing from an S or T series, i'm assuming it's size? Basically I want to be able to choose my type of diff, and also would like to have disc brakes on the rear wheels.

Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about my options here, also, if people have vague estimates of costs/importers that might be able to help me out (that is if i need to import anything)/good people to speak to about installation. Any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys.

P.S. does anyone know any resources that i can use to learn these kind of things, short of doing a mechanics course? cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Sprinter Diff Confusion Thu, 15 September 2005 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Search next time and youll find out everything you need to.

alright, here we go...
again...

The aus spec ae86's come with S series rear ends (general "commuter" diffs with drum brakes and open centers)

this diff is good for a bunky/everyday car, but not much else.

you have a couple of options, there are probably more, but i dont own an ae86 so i dont know everything in too much detail.

most people take the Diff out of a T-18 (Te72), this is a T series rear end, and LSD centers for it can e sourced quite easily.

the Jap spec sprinters came with disk brake rear ends, and i beleive they also came with LSD's, i think these are T series too.

the jap spec rear ends go for $1000 ish, give or take a couple of hundred.

The T-18 rear ends have drum brakes.

you could probably bolt in an F series rear end too, although im not sure if any came in solid axle.

Eldar.O.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sprinter Diff Confusion Thu, 15 September 2005 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pLaYa_OnE wrote on Fri, 16 September 2005 00:52

P.S. does anyone know any resources that i can use to learn these kind of things, short of doing a mechanics course? cheers

Yes. Try this link.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Sprinter Diff Confusion Thu, 15 September 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhhhhh

Sorry dude, when you asked me about this, you were asking about the difference between Zenki and Kouki axles. The axle and the diff are very differnt things. I assume by your question here your actually asking about the complete diff housing.

PS, both "zenki" and "kouki" jdm 86 diffs are T series, and look pretty much the same on the outside, just use different axles and centres.

The easiest way to tell the difference between S and T series diffs is to count the number of bolts around the diff centre housing. I think the T series has 10 bolts, and the S series has 8. Just climb under the car and feel around the back of the diff and count them off as you go around.

Unless someone has already done a swap for you, you most likely have an S series, which means you cant do f**k all except weld it up Razz .

Most common T series sources are hilux and T18 corolla diffs. You sometimes get real JDM 86 disc diffs coming in at importers, but expect to pay around a grand and up.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 September 2005 23:22]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sprinter Diff Confusion Thu, 15 September 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cannonball wrote on Fri, 16 September 2005 09:13

Most common T series sources are hilux and T18 corolla diffs.

Hilux is G series. You can find T series diffs in a range of olders Toyotas (Celica, Corona, etc) but only the T18 diff has the correct suspension mounting points to match the AE86.
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: Sprinter Diff Confusion Thu, 15 September 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not to hijack this thread, but how many splines on zenki and kouki diffs respectively?
pLaYa_OnE
Regular

February 2004
Re: Sprinter Diff Confusion Fri, 16 September 2005 01:37 Go to previous message
thanks for the help guys. Toymods is teh best Very Happy
yeh my car was bog stock when i bought it (aus spec) so i'd say it definately is an S series, but i'll get under and have a look anyway, just in case the modify gods have blessed me with a T Razz
... i can always dream...

Thanks again for clearing it all up.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:wiring up elec ignition
Next Topic:17 in camry rims what offset
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 14:36:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0040628910064697 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.