Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » lower intake temps = better fuel economy?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

lower intake temps = better fuel economy? Fri, 16 September 2005 11:32 Go to next message
fitted up my new ghetto heat exchanger during the week it's a VN aluminium radiator i chopped, blocked the end tanks and put 20mm barbs on. heaps bigger and flows much better than what the a/c condensor did, you can really see it flowing when you look into the filler hole on the i/c core compared to the slight stirring i used to see before in the coolant.

anyways just drove down to brissie from bundy, was a good trip and made it in rather good time Evil or Very Mad
i noticed that this time i did ~285 k's on half a tank Shocked , which is the best fuel economy it's ever done.
could this be a benifit of a more effienct w2a i/c system now providing cooler intake temps than before? (makes sense to me, cooler more dense air).
  Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: lower intake temps = better fuel economy? Fri, 16 September 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lower intake temp give you more power so you use less throttle to cruise at same speed -

so more accurate description is:
lower intake temps = increased power output = better fuel economy on cruise
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: lower intake temps = better fuel economy? Sun, 18 September 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
~50kilometers extra a tank both ways, cant complain about that. Very Happy

just amazes me that there would be that much difference from a more efficient heat exchanger. Confused
Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: lower intake temps = better fuel economy? Sun, 18 September 2005 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's more about the improvement in mid range torque output and possibly spread of torque.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: lower intake temps = better fuel economy? Mon, 19 September 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not understanding what you mean there mate? improvement in mid and spread of torque range giving me better fuel economy?

i'll have to hurry up and buy the dual input digital temp doobie i've been looking at so i can see how effective this w2a cooler is.
Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: lower intake temps = better fuel economy? Mon, 19 September 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cooler intake charge improves torque output and can potentially improve(flatten)the torque curve as well due to increase in the BMEP.
ie Less throttle will be required to maintain a given speed, if the torque curve has been flattened less throttle is needed for the same accelleration at lower revs, efficiency has been improved.

It's about torque because power is only a function of the torque produced by the motor.

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: lower intake temps = better fuel economy? Mon, 19 September 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks. Smile

pity i didnt have an aftermarket eng computer so i could now extract more HP from the engine with the more effecient w2a cooler and stuff up the new fuel economy... Evil or Very Mad
Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: lower intake temps = better fuel economy? Mon, 19 September 2005 11:19 Go to previous message
Ah just wack up the boost and advance the timing 10 degrees. Very Happy

That'll further increase the BMEP's. Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:help!! oil in spark plug tubes??
Next Topic:ke55 coupe rims
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 08:32:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059189796447754 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.