Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Short drivers in MA61 can't reach pedals!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rkirke
Occasional Poster

August 2005

Short drivers in MA61 can't reach pedals! Sat, 17 September 2005 01:49 Go to next message
Hey all,

Just purchased an 84 MA61 which I am enjoying immensely, however my girlfriend is not.
The problem is that even with the seat as far forward as it will go, she can't reach any of the pedals - the seat's even a little too far back for my liking. Is this a normal thing for MA61s, and if so, has anyone found a solution?

Cheers,
Rob
  Send a private message to this user    
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Short drivers in MA61 can't reach pedals! Sat, 17 September 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont quite have your problem (being 6'4")... but one thing i have noticed is that when the seat is positioned correctly for the pedals, the steering wheel is WAY too far away.

ive currently got a 2" spacer/adapter and a 60mm dished wheel, but am looking at extending it even another 50mm or so

you guys must be pretty short, from memory the stock ma61 seat goes a longgg way forward.

cheers
ed
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Short drivers in MA61 can't reach pedals! Sat, 17 September 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im 6'0" but i have the seat pretty far forward, it feels nicer

a lot of shorter people get in my car and shift the seat back heaps...

well, my post is fairly useless to your cause Laughing
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Short drivers in MA61 can't reach pedals! Sat, 17 September 2005 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol short driver dosnt have the same problem with keyboard!or did said short driver have to jump up at the desk to reach keyboard for posting,hence the three posts from pushing a couple of keys at a time on each jump?hahahahahaha
mick
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Short drivers in MA61 can't reach pedals! Sat, 17 September 2005 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're other 2 posts have been deleted.

I know the forum is slow, but learn a bit of patience & wait for it to update when you hit a button, instead of continually hitting it thinking it hasn't worked.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Short drivers in MA61 can't reach pedals! Sat, 17 September 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorta off topic... ed, do you have enough thread left over with that 2" spacer on there? I'm of the same opinion as you... wit hthe seat perfect the steering wheel is too far forward (same with the new rollas actually)
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Short drivers in MA61 can't reach pedals! Sat, 17 September 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ps: learn to answer your phone. all those missed calls and messages are from me
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Short drivers in MA61 can't reach pedals! Sat, 17 September 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meh... I'm a midget, and I don't have troubles. Razz
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: Short drivers in MA61 can't reach pedals! Sat, 17 September 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
simply strap some blocks of wood to your girl friend's feet. If she gets pulled over simply say its a religious thing. Rolling Eyes
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Short drivers in MA61 can't reach pedals! Sat, 17 September 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey if Norbie can drive one, anyone can!
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: Short drivers in MA61 can't reach pedals! Sat, 17 September 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're girlfriend can't be much more than 4 feet tallif she can't reach the pedals in a MA61 I am a shortarse bastard (only about 5 4') and I don't need the seat anywhere near all the way forward, If I was much shorter I reckon I would have problems seeing over the steering wheel/dash before I would have problems reaching the pedals.

Is your GF used to driving a Van or 4wd? I learned to drive in an old tarago and it got me used to sitting real close to the steering wheel since the seating position is markedly different in these higher vehicles (your feet point almost straight down rather than forward to the pedals). When I got my own car at first I had to sit almost all the way forward to feel comfortable but I gradually moved it back as I got used to it, mainly because I found it more comforatable on longer trips to have more leg room.

Now I tend to drive with the seat as far back as I can have it while still being able to push the clutch to the floor forcefully when I am cruising but I still shift it forward a little when I want to hve a little fun.

My Nan (who is only about 4 9') owns an 86 r31 (auto) which has had wooden blocks attached to the accelerator and brake pedals because she likes the seat as high as it can go but this results in her not being able to push the pedals properly even with the seat forward, she has never been told it's illegal or hassled by the cops and she has been involved in an accident where she was at fault (you would think she would have been told to take them off then if they were illegal). You might be able to work out some kind of clip on "spacer" for when your gf drives the car if she is really that short (I'm guessing she has trouble mainly with the clutch pedal).
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Short drivers in MA61 can't reach pedals! Sat, 17 September 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whoa, you're taking over from yian as the official toymods midgit
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Short drivers in MA61 can't reach pedals! Sun, 18 September 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing

I can just imagine it now... granny style! Right up on the wheel chin hovering a few cm above the wheel, legs barely able to reach the brake pedal or accelerator (hence slow braking/accelerating) and the cluch is adjusted so it disengages in the first few mm of travel - another granny thing - slipping clutch!!

Sorry, i'm not implying that your girl is old, just that it's granny style.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Short drivers in MA61 can't reach pedals! Sun, 18 September 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Um, yeah, what those guys said - unless your gf is extraordinarily short, there shouldn't be a problem reaching the pedals. I'm 5'6" and I can comfortably push the clutch all the way to the floor, and I don't even have the seat fully forward.

You may find the seat rails are jamming and not letting the seat go all the way forward. My passenger seat currently has this problem, but I haven't got around to seeing what's causing it (who cares about passengers). So maybe try pulling the seat out and check the operation of the rails.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Short drivers in MA61 can't reach pedals! Sun, 18 September 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm 5'6" and have had no issues with the seating position in the MA61. The only issue I have is that clowns call them Mk2s. We all know what the real Mk2 is. Very Happy
<-----
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Short drivers in MA61 can't reach pedals! Sun, 18 September 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 18 September 2005 09:03

You may find the seat rails are jamming and not letting the seat go all the way forward. My passenger seat currently has this problem, but I haven't got around to seeing what's causing it (who cares about passengers). So maybe try pulling the seat out and check the operation of the rails.

Good point.
My MA61 had about 2" of movement when I bought the car.
I could only just reach the pedals, really needed it 2 notches forward.

MA61 has about 9" ? of movement at a guess.
Anyone care to verify that?
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Short drivers in MA61 can't reach pedals! Sun, 18 September 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
9" movement sounds about right for my drivers seat; give or take an inch or so. But my passenger side one is buggered and only moves about 3 or so inches back and forth.

Quote:

whoa, you're taking over from yian as the official toymods midgit

Yay! There's hope for me yet. And its only right that the title now goes to another MA61 owner Razz
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Short drivers in MA61 can't reach pedals! Sun, 18 September 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol when i have been without for awhile,i have about 10 inches of movment for about 10 secounds! Laughing
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Short drivers in MA61 can't reach pedals! Sun, 18 September 2005 22:30 Go to previous message
i am 6"2 and i find i am often puttign the seat pretty close to the peddals, i often get alot of shorter people moving hte seat back aswell!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Any sites to find holden VL's ?
Next Topic:ke 20 for sale in s.a
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 22:04:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052900314331055 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.