Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
warby12
Newcomer

September 2005
Camry verses hilux for fuel Thu, 15 September 2005 03:23 Go to next message
Hi, I have a '95 Camry and am thinking about selling it and getting a Hilux (much more fun and useful) What I need to know before I take the plunge is how much more fuel is a Hilux going to use (the Camry gets about 10 litres to the 100 kms)? I have a 30 km to work and back commute so fuel is a big cost. Also how do Hilux's go on LPG? thanks for any info. Laughing
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Camry verses hilux for fuel Thu, 15 September 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hilux will use more fuel. Smile
warby12
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: Camry verses hilux for fuel Thu, 15 September 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah but how much more?
cheers Stephen
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Camry verses hilux for fuel Thu, 15 September 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends on what hilux you want, what year need more info, what engine etc. As reference my corona has a 22re (2.4L efi),(hilux motor was the 22rc same motor but carby) now in a lighter car it gets about 12-15L per 100km around the city, put it this way any ute usually uses a lot of fuel because commercial engines are hardly state of the art technology, they are built to be strong but like to chew a lot of fuel.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Camry verses hilux for fuel Thu, 15 September 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Our Hilux with 2.7l EFI engine (cant remember its designation) actually gets pretty damn good milage (around the 10k/l mark), but most of its driving is on country roads not city driving.

Its a 3RZFE, I fink Razz

[Updated on: Thu, 15 September 2005 04:35]

warby12
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: Camry verses hilux for fuel Thu, 15 September 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So I suppose that unless I get a fairly recent Hilux with a good engine I'm looking at a substantial increase in fuel. I like the Camry but we live near the bush and already have one "family" car. Back to the drawing board. Thanks guys Laughing
Toy Yoda
Regular

March 2004
Re: Camry verses hilux for fuel Thu, 15 September 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i have a 1993 2.8 diesel dual cab 4x4 Hilux.

Dunno if ur after the 4x or the 4x2, but for reference sake my hilux engine is the 3L(engine code), and it is getting about 10L/100km
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Camry verses hilux for fuel Thu, 15 September 2005 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toy Yoda wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 17:37

Well i have a 1993 2.8 diesel dual cab 4x4 Hilux.

Dunno if ur after the 4x or the 4x2, but for reference sake my hilux engine is the 3L(engine code), and it is getting about 10L/100km

Yeah in economy terms you could get a diesel hilux.
warby12
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: Camry verses hilux for fuel Fri, 16 September 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah diesel is an option. (and I am after a 4wd) It is what I was originally looking for. At the moment though, I was trying to get a rough idea of petrol consumption because I would then convert to gas.
Cheers Stephen
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Camry verses hilux for fuel Sat, 17 September 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Diesel hilux must be better then the petrol ones then? I don't actually know because I haven't meet anyone with a diesel one yet. The petrol option is a guzzler. If you wan't petrol go for one made after 1998 there alot better then the older ones. Especally if you are going too be driving around the bush. by the sounds of it Diesel might be the go
Toy Yoda
Regular

March 2004
Re: Camry verses hilux for fuel Sat, 17 September 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well my mate has a 2.7 litre petrol Hilux 2001 xtra cab, he gets about 12-13l/100kms same type of driving as me. I just filled the tank last night, 44 litres for 470 kms,can't complain with those figures. Mine also has extractors and 2.5 inch exhaust, so it is not to bad to drive day to day.

I would suggest the diesel. Another point, are you after a 4x4 for actual 4 wheel driving or just to have a fourbie? Cause if u want to do 4WDing, get a pre'98ish one, they came out with the live front axle, rather than independant front suspension. Live axle is heaps better for four wheel driving.

Andrew
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Camry verses hilux for fuel Sat, 17 September 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we have a '01 diesel king cab hilux (3 litre).

On the hwy, the fuel use is great- we think we got nearly 700K from a tank when just driving on the hwy (were not paying much attention).

But for a commuter in peak-hour traffic (Kenmore to St Lucia or City) the fuel use gets close to the rediculously thirsty 5ME. If i watch my driving habits and go light on the throttle, the fuel use is better but not as good as hwy use.

what kind of traffic would you get with your 30K commute? If it was stop/start traffic then the 'lux is not a sensible choice.

Personally, i think you'd be better off with a small efi petrol car for the commuting and then get an old, tough 4x4 hilux diesel for recreational duty.

Even a petrol 'lux is going to be heavy on fuel if used as a commuter.

Most ridiculous thing seen used as a pizza delivery car: 4wd hilux diesel with soft off-road tyres.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Camry verses hilux for fuel Sun, 18 September 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Sat, 17 September 2005 21:04

Most ridiculous thing seen used as a pizza delivery car: 4wd hilux diesel with soft off-road tyres.

What about a series 3 RX7 with 13B rotor Shocked glug glug glug
JiMbOb
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Camry verses hilux for fuel Mon, 19 September 2005 08:40 Go to previous message
www.drive.com.au go to value car and pick your make/model/year/etc it has all the specs powere torque fuel consuption
www.drive.com.au
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Tossing out old car batteries
Next Topic:TurboRA28 in Fast 4s! (small but still cool)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:22:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065097808837891 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.