Toymods » General Car Talk » sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Sat, 17 September 2005 11:57 Go to next message
hey guys.
just wonderign what your opinions on the pro's and con's of the following mention cars are, im lookin to buy soon and am having a hard time choosing. being a toyota forum i can pretty much guess what the answer will be on here but thought id ask yas anyways
just remember
the gti-r runs a 13.4 quater standard
is 4wd 2lt turbo
has quad throttle bodies
comes with top mount cooler

cons
-to replace the clutch is an engine out job
-dotn know how strong the gear boxes are

what does a sw20gt run a quater in?

thanks mates
  Send a private message to this user    
db__
Regular

August 2004
Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Sat, 17 September 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SW20GT will manage 14 second 1/4 miles, however it will be able to turn corners pretty well out of the box, as opposed to the GTi-R.

I'd say that the GTi-R has practicality over the SW20, gearboxes aren't too bad in the GTi-R, it just depends on how you treat it really as with any other gearbox. Both cars are pretty pricey to maintain.
Ko Ko
Regular

May 2003
Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Sat, 17 September 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id like to give u an unbiased comment as I like both the cars equally. I ahve previously owned a sw20gt and i thought it was a great car. Like it was fast on acceleration, handle quiet well although i had coilovers, and it still looks quiet good standard and is a total head turner with a bodykit.

On the other hand my friend was looking at a gti-r before and got turned off due to being an engine out job for the clutch and is generally a costly procedure. On the other hand the gtir is less common and is more unique. They are very good handling car, id say better handling than the sw20 but i guess thats dependent on the driver.

My opinion is Id choose the sw20 over the gtir merely because the fact it is an engine out job for the clutch.

Hope you make a decision but what ever car you would choose id say you wouldnt be disapointed.
Dorio86
Regular

August 2005
Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Sat, 17 September 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
funny that the gtir has a bad case of understeer and the mr2 has bad case of oversteering.

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Sat, 17 September 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whatever you do, don't do burnouts in an AWD unless you wanna be replacing drivetrain components.

I don't imagine the SW20 is gonna be much easier to work on than the GTi-R. The engine bay in MR2s in notoriously puny.

I'd say yeah, the GTi-R has practicality over the MR2. Back seats are usefull if you wanna chuck some friends in the back and go out. It's also good when the girlfriend gets a bit phrisky in the middle of nowhere. Wink

Boot space is also handy. If you have a day driver too, then perhaps the SW20 is the way to go.
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Sat, 17 September 2005 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im alittle biased but - SW20 daily driver. has boot space to put things in and compartments behind the seats.

GTiR's sit too high driving position, feel laggy and slow. Theft is also an issue its an SR20 motor a few of these babies have been stolen and burnt. It also feels tiny inside compared to the SW20.

Engine and working space is the same. The mr2 is the same as any car just more time consuming but it can be worked on!

Finding MR2 spares is a bitch. If there's something dont think twice and grab it or else it will be gone with 10 minutes.

In terms of handling I'd preffer MR. Once tamed it can be a good weapon.

It's really upto you - Tunability - nissan. Comfort - SW

BTW 1/4 Mile times - GEN 2 3SGTE (AFM) 14 second
GEN 3 MAP 93.5+ - Mid 13 seconds

I have a video here from BM gen 2 vs gen 3 pm your email ill send it over

[Updated on: Sat, 17 September 2005 14:08]

buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Sat, 17 September 2005 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gti-R is very front heavy - more-so than a WRX, EVO or GT4. I would chose all of them over a GTI-R, and I would choose an SW20 over all of the above (sticking within that ~20k price range, of course).
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Sat, 17 September 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and don't forget the gti-r has been thoroughly beaten with the ugly stick, while the sw20 is sexy as.

Also what are you looking at doing with them and getting out of them? street racer? traffic light GP? sexy cruiser? shopping trolley? Razz
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Sun, 18 September 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a friend had a lightly tuned gtir basicially upped the boost front mount and a 3" exhaust he was often breaking gearboxes they are very quick little car tho and there is heaps of aftermarket support for the sr20.

The driving position is pretty gay in the gtir and the shifter is not in an ideal place. Bang for buck the gti-r would be better as far as straight line performance goes but i think the mr2 is a better all round package as long as you dont need to take the kids anywhere.

as for mr2's having major oversteer problem this is a myth they dont just snap willy nilly but when they do get sideways you need to be johny on the spot to catch it
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Sun, 18 September 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oversteer could be alot easier to induce on stock 14/15" rims. I've got 17" and fairly stock power. You can get it to come out but you need to be really asking for it and using the right technique.

The time i'll find it to spin easy is on the track with stock 14" rims approaching a hard bend at - 100kms.

and how could you say no to an mr2. the looks you get from everyone makes you feel good about buying one. My boss compared mine to the next door CEO's "Michael.. ohh is that your car?, wait no your car is better its a Toyota :p"

I'll pick the Midship express over the boy racer anyday

http://www.teamrice.org/tr4.0/rides/alex/alex18.jpg

Btw Here's the video of the MR2's doign 1/4Mile.

http://media.putfile.com/TYPEIIvsTYPEIII

Upload Video and Images - Putfile
GEN 2 AFM 14.2seconds
GEN 3 MAP 13.3seconds

They are still quick and are comparable to the wrx's and evos. My GEN 2 does 0-100kms in 6 seconds with a 2K Launch.

[Updated on: Sun, 18 September 2005 01:11]

MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Mon, 19 September 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am bias, i say no more then MR2
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Mon, 19 September 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't driven either car so grain of salt shall be taken.

GTIR on skidpan the other day was understeering like a biatch to begin with but once the driver got a bit more track time it did seem to handle a bit better.

Also, I would like to see this stock gtir run a 13.4 quarter. I beat one at jamboree and I ran 13.7, I think he ran a mid 14 or so. He did munch me off the line but once boost came in I pulled away pretty easily.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Mon, 19 September 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haven driven a mates GTi-R, they are verry nice cars to drive, his was worked mildly. Aparently box's are a bitch on them.

I'd go for the 'R unless your buying a later model sw20
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Mon, 19 September 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very very tough call. Drive em both. I've been in/driven 12 second SW20s and RNN14s and both are highly desirable. Depends what you ultimately want. The people that whinge about the understeering nature of RNN14s have never driven one with decent coilovers, ie HA's. Absolutely neutral handling, with your choice of understeer or oversteer. Defines the term go-kart.

One thing the Nissan has going for it though is it comes with better OEM gear; three LSDS, quad throttle bodies, MUCH better intercooler possibilities, lighter, more powerful, those trick-ass triple guage clusters and a back seat! But goes without saying the MR2 will be built better (but not miles better)

[Updated on: Mon, 19 September 2005 06:25]

General_Bupkiss
Regular

August 2004
Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Mon, 19 September 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i don't really know about sw20's but I do own a sc aw11 and apart from the fact that I can not have as much junk, or more than 2 people in my car, compared to my mates gtir. I would istantly choose my car over his. Although mine is midly worked and his is butt standard (with a supposedly cactus a/f meter Confused )anyway, i beat him in a drag no sweat equal off the line until I gained traction, and i can corner alot fast than he can (but I do have koni adjustable shocks, nulethane[sp?] bushes, and lowered 1.5 inch and have 17" wheels), whereas he has 15 inch wheels standard hight and standard shocks.

so i would say sw20, but then again it comes down to what you want it from, fast and be able to carry the groceries, or fast and not have to worry about back seat drivers Razz
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Tue, 20 September 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you guys really do swing me in the direction of the sw20.. but i spose thats what i get for posting it on TOYMODS.
that above pic of the white sw almost made me stop everything and buy one on the spot! its awesome. and also thanks for the video.
im now just waiting for the right car to pop up and call my name, i think ill know it as soon as i see it. and the thought of driving down the coast with the targa roof taken off and only 2 seats (ferrari style) is very persuading towards the mr2.
will be test driving a sw20gt on the weekend. ill let you know
thanks again
BOCKA
levos1
Regular

March 2003
Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Thu, 22 September 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah u know it has to be the SW20
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Thu, 22 September 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 seater vs 4 seater ?
-Totenkopf-
Regular

November 2004
Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Fri, 23 September 2005 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Driven both, my stock MR2 (boost upped a few PSI) absolutely slaugthered my mates gti-r with intake mods and 3" cat back exhaust. I dunno where the 13.4 figure for GTI-r's came from.

Mr2's much more classy, IMHO. And looks oh so sexy. Targa rocks, my first MR2 had targa, nice long country drives it was awesome, current MR2 is hardtop unfortunately, so no more fun for me Sad Maybe a sunroof will be in store one day Razz

Pics of both cars @ http://members.optusnet.com.au/totencole/mr2

Now you tell me which one looks sexier Smile
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Fri, 23 September 2005 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In a GTiR you'll get alot of boy racers attention.

In the MR2 everyone usually chats to you at the lights. I've been driving around with the targa off this week and i've been getting comments such as - how car the looks, must be sweet to grab a nice tan with the roof off.

Also While backing out I had some regular guy walking down the main st as you do come to a complete dead stop after I locked my car. His jaw dropped and tried to figure out what kind of car it was (Debaged toyota and mr2 rear symbols) He couldn't believe it was a 15 Year old Vehicle and called me a bs liar. LOL

If you do go MR2 - Go 1993+ GEN 3 Map sensored motor as you wont ever be dissapointed and these cars run 13.3 factory.
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Sat, 24 September 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
those are exactly the 2 cars in deciding between for my next car!
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Sat, 24 September 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a little experience with gti-rs considering my brother has one.

His has front mount, cat back 3" exhaust and about 12psi. It runs 13.1 with exhaust, 12.8 by the previous owner with the exhaust dropped at the cat. Also ran a very low 13 with exhaust dropped, stock boost.

To drive it I dont notice the understeer too much, but then again my daily is fwd. I like the driving position, but I wouldnt call it overly sporty, but its definately usable. Steering feels pretty good and direct. 5 seats can be a huge benefit if you require it occasionally though. We drove townsville --> Brisbane, which was a noisey experience to say the least!

He races at the track that I do as well, its a short tight track, his car is about 0.6 seconds a lap quicker than my track only t18, which isnt too great, but thats on his one attempt. t18 is stock 3tc with sidedrafts, extractors and side pipe, cut springs, camber, stripped interior, all running on 195 6 year old street tires. Really it will probably about 1-1.5 seconds a lap quicker once he learns to drive. Not huge really considering.

We did the engine out clutch change on the driveway, took 1 1/2 days out, 1 1/2 in. Since then we have had a lot of experience (more on this soon). His gearbox has held up with a fair bit of drags and some circuit. 2nd seems to be the problem (as mentioned shortly Wink).

Im summary I would say gtir is a very fast version of a cheap car. Its great for flogging around town, a bit of strip work and a bit of circuit work, as long as you are gentle. 12's are no worry what so ever on the stock turbo!

Whoever mentioned they have 3 lsds is not correct, front is apparently open except for the dakar spec ones.

Now about gearboxes Smile
My house mate has a SSS attessa import sr20det awd bluebird. They run an s13 type sr20det and awd. The gearbox is pretty much identical to the gti-r except for a front viscous lsd.

The car is pretty stock, front mount, 3" and a load of boost. He gave it a stab in 2nd gear, resulted in the stripping of a few teeth from second. He did drive hard so it didnt suprise him, we reckon the extra weight of the bluebird was enough to put the box over the edge. So out came the engine and gearbox on the driveway again.

5 months later a new straight cut gearbox turns up. Back it in goes. A bit over a thousand km run it, takes it to the drags and doesnt even make it to the 60 foot line before the end of the case pops off and out comes some lovely blue shockproof oil. Turns out some how one of the gears fused its self to the shaft and resulted in a snapped output shaft, which sheared and pushed the end of the box off.

Out comes engine and box again, it was all covered under warantee. Another 2 months or so box 2 turns up. This was in the car and running mid last week, so hopefully it holds up. I wont mention the gearset manufacturer, but to there credit they admitted the error and modified the design and cover it all on warantee. The second gearset was delivered quicker than the first also.

So on that note, gti-rs can be risky, but they are a good fun fast car if you treat them well. They can be made to handle, stock and anything else you want to do, just depends on how much you want to pay and what you want it for.

I would personally pick an mr2 turbo, a. because my brother has one, b. Because I want more of all rounder, hopefully with some comfort and space is not of concern at this point in my life.
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: sw20 turbo VS nissan gti-r pulsar Sun, 25 September 2005 09:07 Go to previous message
hey guys,
good comments by all, and i agree with the major ones, being
- mr2 is better lookin (although the pulsar is a mean looker)
- clutch out job being a pain in the ass
- targa tops makin for some sweet times Very Happy
- toyota make a quality car and engine
- both car are expensive to maintain

also some of you have been asking where the figure of 13.4 quater mile time for gtir's has come from, its a direct qoute from a article in high performance imports magazine issue number 22 where they compare a gtir pulsar to a mazda familia gtr (gtir comes out on top but good comparison). so thanks people for your comments. been a good read and iv located a nice sw20 gt targa that im enquiring about at the moment.
BOCKA
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Dedicated to TE72 T-18
Next Topic:stud pattern
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:26:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069022178649902 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.