Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Spud Guns. Wed, 14 September 2005 00:34 Go to next message
http://www.spudtech.com

This guy is insane, so are the americans for allowing this stuff to be legal!!! oh well interesting read!
  Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Spud Guns. Wed, 14 September 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Home made weapons are always good fun. Some of my better ones have included:

Orange cannon using car-b-cleaner as the accelerant - very dangerous but amusing.

Golf ball gun - a bit of a worry as you rarely are able to see the golf ball once it leaves the pipe Confused

Frozen grape gun - hurts like paint ball Laughing

Those were the days......

The T-shirt launcher on his website looks interesting, could make laundry time more entertaining Laughing

[Updated on: Wed, 14 September 2005 01:08]

cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Spud Guns. Wed, 14 September 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh, yeah me and my mates made a range of those "frozen orange" guns. We had some short barrel ones that would cave in car door panels at short range, and a long barreled one for the sniper shots.

We would sit on his balcony at the top of a hill, where the road went past below, with bush behind, and we would take random pot shots at the school bus as it drove past Laughing
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Spud Guns. Wed, 14 September 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im still planning to build one of these Laughing
just gotta drag my ass over to bunnings first Razz
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Spud Guns. Wed, 14 September 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At this point in time I would not be outwardly advertising that I was building anything that fired projectiles........anyone got the Terrorist hotline number handy???? This Lench character sounds like he might be building a weapon of mass destruction Laughing

What's the bet ASIO is now monitoring this thread Laughing
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Spud Guns. Wed, 14 September 2005 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cannonball wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 13:34

Heh, yeah me and my mates made a range of those "frozen orange" guns. We had some short barrel ones that would cave in car door panels at short range, and a long barreled one for the sniper shots.
We would sit on his balcony at the top of a hill, where the road went past below, with bush behind, and we would take random pot shots at the school bus as it drove past Laughing

wow, you are such a fuckstain... and if you smashed in a window and seriously hurt someone??
good to see you showing your intelligence again..... Rolling Eyes

cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Spud Guns. Wed, 14 September 2005 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, dont stress, it was such a long shot that when the orange (non frozen) actually got to the bus (1 in 100 shot) it may as well have been thrown by my grandmother. after about 2-3 shots we would jump on our pushies, ride down , collect up the undamaged oranges and use them again.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 September 2005 04:19]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Spud Guns. Wed, 14 September 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i remember reading that website many times over when back at uni..... often going down to the engineering levels looking for random cuts of PVC and other piping.....

never built anything though.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Spud Guns. Wed, 14 September 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a good one... Goes hard... You can land potatoes on houses on the opposite side of the sort of valley we live on...

When I was buying the pipes and the lighter the guy said "are you guys making a bomb or something?" I just laughed...

I always have lighter problems but, and you've gotta have the right air/fuel mix Razz ...

I'll upload a vid of me shooting it at my house... theres nothing left of the potato... it vanishes...
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: Spud Guns. Wed, 14 September 2005 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am on about my 5th cannon. Still have two others that are workable. Current model has 5l combustion chamber and can have any size barrel attached. So far the best barrel size is 40mm ID or 40mm pressure pipe. This size will fit most golf balls perfectly. Once cracked a brick in half when I shot a masonary bolt through an olive oil container leaning against the house. I have also had 3 caps explode on me and one cannon rupture along the seam of the chamber.

(For legal reasons none of the above is true.)
Daemon
Regular

May 2004
Re: Spud Guns. Wed, 14 September 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhh now this is my kinda topic.

My old flatmate is the true cannon builder but we built the latest one together.

A Bolt Action Spud Cannon......... Heres whats left of the bottle we used as a target from about 5m's (note we had to use a little screw driver to get it to smash completely, but it can smash a beer bottle with just a spud)

http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL807/2938380/5936919/76205043.jpg

Its a very very long, ive got detailed pics of the whole build. But basicly we went down to Bunnings and 'dummie' built the cannon in the store with PVC (we got some real strange looks). But basicly cost around $130nz to build.

Also we have had trouble with our lighter as well, we are currently using a BBQ igniter (found inside the BBQ) and have mounted it in the chamber. It fires first pop alright but the 2nd shot doesnt have enough fresh air to ignite it again, which is the stage we got up to before he went on his OE.

http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL807/2938380/5936919/76206271.jpg

Ive got some video of it too, if someone could point in a place to host it, would be nice Smile (and convert to dvix as its in raw format at the moment)

I also have the entire build written up, if anyone wants it, give me a PM or ill post it up here if you want. Its not as cool as the one above but its a real laugh.

The above statements are all fictional and those pictures are photoshopped.

PS: Only missing limbs were two eye brow's!!! Laughing

[Updated on: Wed, 14 September 2005 10:16]

rn-85
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Spud Guns. Wed, 14 September 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evil or Very Mad
mmmmmmmm spud guns thats what me likes so far the best wepon i have so far made is as follows 150mm rod end into a 150-100 reducer (refer to this as a l.i.t. (level invert taper) glue a 100mm-65mm lit into that, then glue a 65mm female thread this ,alows a wide range of barrels, screw a 150 cap on the end and glue a short peice of pipe in the end of the rod end so the entire conbustion chamber is twin walled. thats the gun made now u need spark, my local bunnings wont sell the good peizo igniters so u have to go better go find a old oven with four of more burners that are conected to a nine volt battery, you will have to remove the whole unit conect the sparking unit into one big or two smaller sparks in side the cannon useing som screws or the like. now ammo to shoot golf balls u need 40mm pipe it has to be pn12 that is the grade of pipe it isn't standard sewer pipe also 65mm pipe will shoot tooyes extra dry stubs u just have to wrap some tape around the base of the stub for a good fit.
thats all i have to say about that plz use with caution this gun is very dangerous keep out of reach of little kids and rice boys
rn-85
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Spud Guns. Wed, 14 September 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one more thing bunnings wont want to sell u bit for a spud gun so go to a plumbing store also bunnings probly wont stock the 150 fittings. now go out and shoot some thing. viva la revolution!
ChunksNensja
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: Spud Guns. Wed, 14 September 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daemon wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 20:13

Ahhh now this is my kinda topic.
PS: Only missing limbs were two eye brow's!!! Laughing

A pain I know all too well. Especially when you accidently hit the bbq sparker when you're closing the cap just after fueling. Thank god I had short hair back then.
paulst162
Regular

April 2005
Re: Spud Guns. Thu, 15 September 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have tried and tested plenty of these type of thing and have found the best thing to use is the cheapest HAIR SPRAY you can find,give it a 2 or 3 second spray in the chamber after loading. The taters go in better if you file the inside edge of the end of the barrel,use a chopped broom stick as a plunger and cheap ass bbq lighters work the best. Evil or Very Mad also be sure to use plumbing glue and let it set for like 24hrs.
things you will need
*1m of 50mm pvc pipe
*1 50mm to 150mm reducer
*45cm of 150mm pipe
*1 150mm screw adaptor
*1 150mm screw cap
*1 bbq lighter
*a broom stick
*hair spray
*taters
*fire retardent foam
1/glue the 50mm to the reducer
2/glue the screw cap to the 150mm
3/drill an apropriate sized hole in the cap for the lighter
4/place the lighter snugly in the cap and screw to the chamber
5/fill around the lighter and cap with the foam
6/glue the 50mmm and reducer to the 150mm chamber and let dry for 24hrs
#unscrew cap plunge tater to the bottom of barrel
#spray 2 or 3 seconds of hair spray in the chamber and screw cap on
#hold away from your self and booyah

[Updated on: Thu, 15 September 2005 06:39]

h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Spud Guns. Thu, 15 September 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mate made one and i helped we found an old gas cyclinder made sure it was empty and cut off the fitting on the top and drilled a hole for a spark plug on the side! spark was from a lawn mower.
we had found some metal down pipe from hard tubbish and it shot cans pretty well.. not shot at but shot out!

we had another hole directly opposite the spark that was filled by a cork yes a cork. the spark was connected to a coil pack from a vn commo if i remember correctly and that was connected to a nine volt battery. pull the cork out spary deo in there for 1sec plug it back up spark the battery on the coil and badda bin batta boom! good by can.

was mounted like a rocket laucher. u need to ppl to fire!

remember with pvc protect the outside had many split and brake. so get some gaffer tape and coat the whole pipe with it.... and the less u spray in the chamber the more bang it has!

ill see if i can get some images of the bad boy
other wise visit
www.totse.org
ahh this webpage is nasty dotn advise to copy anytihng in there but it surely is a good read. its how i learned how to make spud guns!

edit:webpage worng ehhhh

[Updated on: Thu, 15 September 2005 09:55]

rn-85
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Spud Guns. Thu, 15 September 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah go the hair spray cheaper the better and dont flood it.
72PASSEDU
Regular

December 2004
Re: Spud Guns. Thu, 15 September 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Homemade weapon Double Barrel Water Pipe Shotgun.
Easy to make,easy to discard.
rn-85
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Spud Guns. Thu, 15 September 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well up load ur plans i wanna build one it sounds good
paulst162
Regular

April 2005
Re: Spud Guns. Thu, 15 September 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evil or Very Mad i use telstra pvc pipe and ive been using mine which me and my older bro have dubbed the termittater for about 2 years and it hasnt split or deteriorated at all .
the worst accident we had was when my bro forgot whether or not he glued the screw cap. In his infinite wisdom and because of the tight fit he thought it would hold together. Rolling Eyes
me being stupid and 14 at the time decided to test fire it .
i remember pushing in the lighter button next thing i open my eyes and im on the ground ears ringing and a mark on my chest like a muther fuker my hand was also burnt yellow for a few weeks it actually fired the barrel and chamber like a rocket and the cap and bbq lighter back Embarassed hence the reason i recommend letting the glue dry Wink ps test your taters on roof tin that way you see what sort of a ding you make your goal should be to fold that shit in half Cool
cjg_6
Occasional Poster

July 2005
    -
Re: Spud Guns. Thu, 15 September 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahah Laughing Laughing
the first time i shot mine it wasnt glued at all
and gave us a fright!
still experimenting with barrel length but what can i say;
so so much fun Razz
ps we built ours in bunnings, slapped it on the counter
and got nothing but 'have fun' Very Happy
paulst162
Regular

April 2005
Re: Spud Guns. Thu, 15 September 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cjg_6 wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 21:52

hahah Laughing Laughing
and gave us a fright!
so so much fun Razz

ive done the same thing at miter 10 and got told to literaly fuck off and that i was lucky they wernt calling the cops i tried to explain that i needed the shit for sum plumbing but they just wanted to act like fucken facists i was just making sure the shit was what i needed.
i dont look like sum fucken crab juice drinking extreme terorrist dick face that is gonna take over the country wif potatoes plus i was wearing dirty work clothes im shoppin at bunnings now for shaw screw terorrists and screw miter 10
paulst162
Regular

April 2005
Re: Spud Guns. Thu, 15 September 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 14:07

wow, you are such a fuckstain... and if you smashed in a window and seriously hurt someone??

Mad i concur shooting at peoples stuff or people for that matter is not cool.you are a true fuck stain and give us true scientific enthusiasts a bad name shame shame shame someone should shoot you wif a honney due cannon in the balls and yes i just contradicted myself
rn-85
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Spud Guns. Fri, 16 September 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cjg_6 wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 19:52

hahah Laughing Laughing
and gave us a fright!
so so much fun Razz

ur better of going to plumbing stores the parts are heaps cheaper and if you use the proper names for your fittings you sound like a real plumber.

ps dont shoot ppls stuff cause that ruins it for the rest off us that are try our best to get away with it. take note from paulst162
cjg_6
Occasional Poster

July 2005
    -
Re: Spud Guns. Fri, 16 September 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha thats really unlucky!!!
ps will the barrell length change the power of the gun??
cos mine comes up to my chest and its shoots ok but...
we were expecting a more powerful shot
btw, no worries rn-85 i'm not that stupid or inconsiderate!!!
cheers Razz

[Updated on: Fri, 16 September 2005 12:42]

rn-85
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Spud Guns. Sat, 17 September 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
according to my pyro mates the shorter the barrel the better the power but less accurcacy (just like a real gun) and make a killer spark cause that make alot of difference i make two identical guns one for a mate and the oven spark one wich my mate hat was "fully sik" (that is a good thing).

ps do many cops go on this site? and dont shoot near a high security prison, the guards get woried and come charging out, however it always funny after the event
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Spud Guns. Sat, 17 September 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img36.exs.cx/img36/7154/aircannon001.jpg
http://img36.exs.cx/img36/5236/aircannon002.jpg
http://img36.exs.cx/img36/1959/aircannon003.jpg

Here is my beast...
Barrel is about a metre long and chamber is around 3-4 litres. I normally pump this thing up to 60psi and that shoots golfballs around 300-400 metres.
Fill it up with air at your local servo or a hand or foot pump if feeling energetic. Load with a golf ball or whatever the creative mind can think of ie potato, carrot, marbles, even water. Aim, and open the ball valve.

Dont use wherever people are around...
And watch out for the recoil.

[Updated on: Sat, 17 September 2005 05:58]

paulst162
Regular

April 2005
icon14.gif  Re: Spud Guns. Sat, 17 September 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool mad! i like the idea of no flame,does it bang loud ?
i guess a plus would be you could fill it to pressure specs of the pipe/glue /valve .
BUY A SUPER CHEAP COMPRESSOR! they only like 10 bucks that way you wouldnt have to go to the servo it would be quicker than a foot pump and mobile too.
mount it to the roof of your toyota run the compressor via your cigerette lighter. if you have a sun roof you could turn the valve from the inside of the car INSTA TANK.
now all you have to do is find a way to auto reload those nasty looking golf ballZ and you will neva have problems wif road rage again Very Happy
im thinkin a t intersection after the first valve and off the up facing bit another valve with another piece of pipe with a screw cap filled with copious amounts golf balls.
keep the compressor running after firing and just turn off the air valve turn the reload valve on and off and when the gauge reads desired psi fire again Evil or Very Mad Laughing Evil or Very Mad Shocked Laughing

[Updated on: Sat, 17 September 2005 06:44]

rn-85
Occasional Poster

September 2005
icon4.gif  Re: Spud Guns. Sat, 17 September 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paulst162 wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 22:35

Mad i concur shooting at peoples stuff or people for that matter is not cool.you are a true fuck stain and give us true scientific enthusiasts a bad name shame shame shame someone should shoot you wif a honney due cannon in the balls and yes i just contradicted myself

say what?? Confused
paulst162
Regular

April 2005
Re: Spud Guns. Sat, 17 September 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rn-85 wrote on Sat, 17 September 2005 21:37

say what?? Confused
which bits dont you understand?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Spud Guns. Sat, 17 September 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Confused Confused some ppl don't get it???

anyways, internal piston pneumatics are good.. much more reliable and predictable, and less noisy Razz

Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Spud Guns. Sat, 17 September 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Sat, 17 September 2005 23:47

Confused Confused some ppl don't get it???

anyways, internal piston pneumatics are good.. much more reliable and predictable, and less noisy Razz

yeah. Much quieter. They can still be loud if the projectile is a very tight fit but nowhere near as loud as a combustion cannon.

The problem is they can also be much more dangerous as the chamber is under pressure for long periods of time whereas a combustion gun is only pressurised for a split second. I have had to upgrade mine a few times after a few minor catastrophes. The walls of the chamber are now atleast 8mm thick. I think the endcap gets up to 15mm thick in places.
rn-85
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Spud Guns. Sun, 18 September 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paulst162 wrote on Sat, 17 September 2005 21:40

rn-85 wrote on Sat, 17 September 2005 21:37

say what?? Confused
which bits dont you understand?

u have a winge to cannonballs about shooting ppl and their stuff and now ur gonna take one into traffic to cure ur road rage, but im sure u were joking and u dont seriously intend to do it
paulst162
Regular

April 2005
Re: Spud Guns. Sun, 18 September 2005 01:49 Go to previous message
Laughing and i said someone should shoot him in the balls with a honney due melon ... Laughing Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:leaf blower turbo vid
Next Topic:any one play poker?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:53:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072348117828369 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.