Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
20v valve stem seals Sun, 18 September 2005 06:06 Go to next message
need to change my 20v valve stem seals. ive been told its a bitch of a job to do but i have a spare car so i have some time to do it.

anybody here have a link on instructions?? i've changed cams on a 16v b4, think ill be up to the task of valve stem seals on a 20v??

anybody here in melbourne near heidelberg area willing to guide me tru it??
  Send a private message to this user    
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: 20v valve stem seals Sun, 18 September 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive done it and yes it is a bitch...

you have to remove the cams and buckets then i used two screwdrivers (big ones) and pushed down either side on top of the spring cap to get the colets out pain in the ass but the spring compressor tool doesnt fit in there unless u got one of the ones where u need the head off

make sure u put the cyliner ur doin on tdc and use a tool to put where the spark plug goes hooked up to a compressor to keep the valve up
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 20v valve stem seals Sun, 18 September 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pain in the ass is an understatment. More like Pain in the scrotum after you've had your balls in a vice.

You could do it with the head on = equals more work
or take the head off and do it = need a new headgasket, but easier overall.

I took the hard option of changing valve stem seals with the head on. Like was suggested, compressed air into the spark plug hole to keep the valves help up. But instead of using 2 big screw drivers to press the valve spring down. (fuck that's doing it hard)
I made a simple device that screws into the head and works like a press. Hard to explian but i will get a pic of the tool and you will see what i mean. Made it MUCH easier to do.

But changing 16 Valve stem seals on a 3sge was a job that took around 2 weeks to complete for me! an hour or so everyday after work. But until i perfected my method of putting those collets back on i kept losing them, they would shoot off like bullets and i had to wait 2 days everytime to get new ones from toyota.

20 valve, have fun Very Happy

oh yeah and after i finally finished the job, the friggin 3sge still burnt just as much oil, musta been worn rings. :(-

[Updated on: Sun, 18 September 2005 11:36]

bluehachi
Regular

September 2005
Re: 20v valve stem seals Sun, 18 September 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats the cost foer the parts involved?
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 20v valve stem seals Sun, 18 September 2005 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Flogbag wrote on Sun, 18 September 2005 20:24

ive done it and yes it is a bitch...

you have to remove the cams and buckets then i used two screwdrivers (big ones) and pushed down either side on top of the spring cap to get the colets out pain in the ass but the spring compressor tool doesnt fit in there unless u got one of the ones where u need the head off

make sure u put the cyliner ur doin on tdc and use a tool to put where the spark plug goes hooked up to a compressor to keep the valve up

assuming i have piston at TDC and the valve falls in, would it fall in all the way?? Shocked
adamaw11
Regular

February 2005
Re: 20v valve stem seals Mon, 19 September 2005 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is this the sort of thing that a workshop would happily do? with the right tools and experience? Or would it be seen as just as big PITA and charge a lot of labour?
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 20v valve stem seals Tue, 20 September 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another question, any dramas putting stuff back together after??
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: 20v valve stem seals Wed, 05 October 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where do you get the seals from and how much are they?
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 20v valve stem seals Thu, 06 October 2005 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is the sort of job that mechanics will rather pass on, or make a big bundle in labour.

Maybe not over there, but all teh lazy mechanics here in tas wouldn't do my friends celica valve stem seals. Exept for one and he quated about $2000. Fuck that!

So i did them for my friend for mates rates $500, still i think i'd pass on doing them with the head on too. (gen1 3sge anyway)

Cost about $140-190ish for all 16 valve stem seals for the gen1 3sge. Toyota is the place to get ripped off at for valve stem seals Razz
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20v valve stem seals Thu, 06 October 2005 04:53 Go to previous message
Find your local cylinder head repair place(Yellow Pages), they will probably sell you a complete VRS(Valve Regrind Set) kit for less than Toyota charge.

Or if you know the diameter of the valves (hint, check your overhaul manual) your head shop may be able to supply just the valve stem seals,for a coupla bucks each.

cheers Chuck.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4K engine info
Next Topic:rocker cover removal
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 18:38:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059258937835693 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.