Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » Project: Sam's MA61 Supra (56k Warning)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Project: Sam's MA61 Supra (56k Warning) Sat, 17 September 2005 18:23 Go to next message
Hey guys/gals, i thought since its been a while that i've been on this forum its about time i start a members ride thread.

Some details on my car,,, Aus delivered 1984 MA61

History: I bought this car back in december 2004. It was origanlly brown/maroon, but was been sprayed dark metallic blue before i took ownership. It did race in Targa Tasmania at one stage and i recently found out that it rolled and wrote off its rear end Crying or Very Sad It looks like it had a 6MGE installed for racing aswell as K-Mac adj strut tops and King std's in the rear. Thats about as much history as i know.

Specs as it stands now:

Engine:
6MGE Motor with 5ME ecu
David Craig Thermo Fans

Wheels & Suspension:
17in ANZ wheels
K-Mac Adj strut tops
RA65 Struts (Oil filled (25/50W)
RA65 Power Steering Arms
King Std rears
New front Rotors, Pads and Balljoints

Interior:
Custom rear parcel shelf
Semi-restored and painted

I had an accident a while ago and have been rebuilding the car since. I still need some body parts but once i have found them im set. I've almost finished off the interior minus the front seats being retrimmed. She looks pretty smick on the inside now Surprised

Well now for some photos, as you can see i havn't had the repairs painted yet. I plan to do this when i save up the dough $$ But before i do that im still chasing those few parts to complete it. Parts i need are as follows, if you have any of these im willing to buy straight away!!

PARTS WANTED:
-Nosecone + Badge
-Rubberstrips that go infront of the headlights
-Lefthand side mirror
- Probably more to come...

Oh yeh pictures Razz here they are

Here's some quickies i took down at the regatta grounds while i was on lunch break from work.

My good side Smile
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/4133/supra017et.jpg

And my awsome looking front Laughing
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/33/supra035jl.jpg

I'll try and take some better ones on a nice sunny clear day, we dont get many in Tassie so it could be a while Razz

Here's some pics of my custom rear parcel shelf. I was making it to fit some 6*9's in it but then i found out from someone on this furom that JBL 4*6's fit perfect and sound great in the stock locations. I already had the shelf made and just needed to carpet it, so i thought i might as well finish what i started. I find it pretty handy for grocery shopping and to stash other random stuff on. Plus i like it Smile

http://img271.imageshack.us/img271/5844/parcel067er.jpg

I've got some other pics of how i built it and dimensions ill put up later for people if they are interested.

Sorry i dont have any other interior pics, ill take some soon i promise.

Stuff i have to do:
Seal the rear tail lights - they leak
Get all windows re-sealed - they leak too Rolling Eyes
Fix a weird problem i have with the right rear suspension.
Make a cheap CAI and see if it lowers intake temps at all. At the moment intake temp sits about 45 degrees in normal conditions.
The list never seems to end...

I'm currently trying to get a U.S.A. SUPRA (billboard style) template to match up for the rear of the hatch. ZZT231 supplied me with one but it wasn't quite long enough. So I've been fiddling around with it on the computer but I've had a major set back when the printer decided to say no and do stupid stuff. When the printer happens it'll be an easy job of pricing up some decals and seeing about interest from other people on the forum.

Dreams and well dreams...
7M-GTE conversion, this is more a reality than a dream
9inch wide rear wheels
Full length areodynamic undertray

And thats about it for the time being
Cheers

[Updated on: Sun, 09 October 2005 10:48]

Send a private message to this user    
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra Sat, 17 September 2005 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sex-aayyy!!

Spewing I didn't get a chance to look at it while I was in Tassie. It's looking great now Sam Surprised
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra Sun, 18 September 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking good, Sam. Your car looks very familiar to me... I've seen a metallic blue supra with similar wheels getting around in the past, and can't work out if it's the same car. That one had a dual tip exhaust IIRC, and a red supra sticker on the back.

Would you get any benefit from using a 5MGE/6MGE ecu?
mk2garage
Regular

June 2004
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra Mon, 19 September 2005 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You need a mudguard? I have one..... Go the Supra too! Cool
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra Mon, 19 September 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the Targa video of some incar footage when a red ma61 stacked it, was your car ever red?

negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra Mon, 19 September 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers guys Smile

Stef - Yeh thats the one, its got a Remus exhaust on it. It howls like nothing else when your gunning it Very Happy I dont really like the red supra sticker so thats why im trying to make my own Supra decal for the rear. I like things to look stock more than anything. I reckon it would benefit from a 5/6MGE Ecu, i've looked into it a little bit but ive come to the conclusion that its just going to be too expensive in comparison to the 7M conversion which i should be starting soon. I'm just waiting for Dingaling to get his halfcut!

mk2garage - You live up north right? I'll be heading up north sometime soon when Dingaling gets his halfcut, i'll shoot ya a pm
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra Mon, 19 September 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
x1 1984 supra, single lady owner, driven to church on sundays only. garaged all its life, service log and full history available to keen buyers...

http://www.toyotacelicasupra-ma61.co.uk/taz02air.jpg

http://www.toyotacelicasupra-ma61.co.uk/taz01.jpg

http://www.toyotacelicasupra-ma61.co.uk/taz03.jpg
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra Mon, 19 September 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^ Ha Laughing yeh something like that... I don't think my car was that one though, that one has a different exhaust, plus its foglights were re-wired. Mine wernt re-wired, well untill I did and the wires looked all factory stock.

Enchanter - Yeh it can be called red, i suppose. Only my engine bay and floor/boot was left the original colour. I've only ever seen 1 other MA61 with a colour like that and some people call it red some brown some maroon. You dont happen to have a copy of that tape do you?

[Updated on: Mon, 19 September 2005 11:43]

Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra Tue, 20 September 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I have the original, I'll have to dig it out.

Just a bit O/T but how many xA61s are there in Tassie on these forums? We'll have to have a meet sometime Smile
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra Tue, 20 September 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gee, now your testing my memory. I think theres 5, Me and Nick down south. Then theres you, mk2garage and i think another one up north. There might be another 1 or 2 lurking around somewhere
mk2garage
Regular

June 2004
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra Tue, 20 September 2005 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah there are 3 in launceston that i know of
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra Wed, 21 September 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks nice mate, the colour and wheels looks the goods Very Happy

if you're retrimming the seats, do you want to swap your black stripey ones for maroon ones (good condition, and plus some $.$$)? As i really like that black stripeyness ..... Up To Something ....... Nod

[Updated on: Wed, 21 September 2005 11:20]

negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra Thu, 22 September 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, thnx for the offer EF but i think i'll be keeping my black stripey seats. Its just that maroon and black dont go together really well im sorry. How much do you want for them anyways?

Update on the car today, i had the radiator de-gunked yesturday and also a new thermostat installed. My old thermostat had literally broken into 4 different pieces Shocked Took me 4 hours to put it all back together aswell! Had a few leaks here and there... So i took it for a bit of a run last night and the temperature sits on half-way and does not budge! Looking forward to summer Smile

It's nice and sunny today, 19 degrees! So i'll take some interior pics and post them soon.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra Fri, 23 September 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah thats coom sam mate. im after a pair of seats for my re-interioring project.

i don't blame you, the maroon is shitty- just thought, if you're getting them retrimmed, could you retrim maroon ones black?

doesn't matter though. i'd keep them if i were you as well Up To Something

cheers
ryley
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra (56k Warning) Mon, 26 September 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I finally got around to taking some pictures of the interior, here they are Smile

http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/5707/interior010ll.jpg

http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/1011/interior030zw.jpg

http://img322.imageshack.us/img322/2319/interior042zk.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 09 October 2005 11:11]

Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra (56k Warning) Mon, 26 September 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks good, looks good

im lovin the steering wheel Very Happy
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra (56k Warning) Tue, 27 September 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmmmm black interior is nice !
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra (56k Warning) Fri, 30 September 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn thats a clean interior!
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra (56k Warning) Fri, 30 September 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evil_Foetus wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 00:34

looks good, looks good

im lovin the steering wheel Very Happy

That looks great! better then my interior... Need to do something about the drivers seat though where it's wearing out otherwise it's better then blue...
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra (56k Warning) Sun, 02 October 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers guys, took me a fair while to get that interior together and alot of painting! But its sure worth it. I've got a quote on getting the front seat re-trimmed... wait for it... $400! Steep but from what ive heard its about normal, sheesh. So i think i'll be waiting a little while before i do that. And that steering wheel is actually a Momo Mystere. It came with the car so i dont know how old it is or what but i reckon it suits the interior just right.

A little update also, i've bought myself some RA65 struts and steering arms. I'm going to be putting these in my car soon (when i have the time). Whats that? You say the RA65 steering arms dont bolt on? Well yeh, your right but if you've read this on the Yanks forum (http://www.celicasupra.com/vbforums/showthread.php ?t=16669) you'll see what im doing. After a bit of drilling out these do bolt on and i can't wait to see how it will transform the steering.

Sa pics of de RA65 struts
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4773/p10100038gc.jpg
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra (56k Warning) Tue, 04 October 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking good!

I should get my act together and put my RA60 struts on my car.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra (56k Warning) Tue, 04 October 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont get the whole steering arm thing??? you want 1.5 turns to lock or something???

why?
WA_TRD_83
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra (56k Warning) Tue, 04 October 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
negative boost wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 21:49

I finally got around to taking some pictures of the interior, here they are Smile

http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/2368/interior024vs.jpg

hehehe.. I have the same floor mats in my GA61! Razz

good to see another Mk2 being fixed up!
keep up the good work

Damo
TRD 83
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra (56k Warning) Tue, 04 October 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hydra, i'm not to sure that RA60 ones will work unless they had power steering. In other words, i think RA60 ones are the same length as MA61. The reason why the RA65 ones are shorter is because they have power steering whereas most RA60's don't have power steering and have longer steering arms. The cast marks on my RA65 arm's are "R7" the ones SupraFiend have are stamped "R8". Still trying to figure out if there's any difference.

Ed, i'm trying to make the car a little more repsonsive and reduce the turning circle (to what i dont know). I also find it annoying to have to take my hands off the steering wheel through corners. I'd love to take corners without moving my hands on the steering wheel. And this quote from SupraFiend
Quote:

its everything I hoped it would be. It completely transforms the car
sucked me in, i had to do it.

WA TRD, haha thats kinda funny. Those are the mats the last owner put in and i havn't bothered changing them. I'll change them when they wear out, which the drivers one nearly is. I want some Toyota fabric ones, they had them on special last christmas so i hope they have them on special again this christmas!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra (56k Warning) Tue, 04 October 2005 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
negative boost wrote on Tue, 04 October 2005 22:56

Hydra, i'm not to sure that RA60 ones will work unless they had power steering. In other words, i think RA60 ones are the same length as MA61. The reason why the RA65 ones are shorter is because they have power steering whereas most RA60's don't have power steering and have longer steering arms. The cast marks on my RA65 arm's are "R7" the ones SupraFiend have are stamped "R8". Still trying to figure out if there's any difference.

Grr making my head spin Razz

The RA60 struts fit straight onto the xA61 steering arms no worries, tested this the other weekend. The only bad thing is those damn tops that hold down the damper, they are a whore to undo!!

I hope I am making sense. RA60 struts + MA61 steering arms = negative camber
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra (56k Warning) Tue, 04 October 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh my goodness, silly me. I read your post as "i gotta fit those RA60 steering arms" not struts... I should really go to bed before i make myself look stupid again. Yeh your right though RA60 struts do bolt on and give you more negative camber. An easy way to get those top hat bolts off is to use an impact gun Very Happy They come off like a dream using one of them. Another way is to loosen the bolts while the struts are still in the car and underload. Don't undo them that much though becuase you dont want a spring going flying when your taking the strut out. Thats if the struts in question are still in a car...
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra (56k Warning) Thu, 06 October 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't assume that RA65s have power steering and that RA60s don't.

My & Timottoway's RA65s both are non-power. And I've driven a powersteering RA65 before. They both come as either.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra (56k Warning) Fri, 07 October 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Same with SA63's
as far as me and the other SA63's i know of i'm the only one with power steering.
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra (56k Warning) Sat, 08 October 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well good news, I took the struts and arms off the car yesterday and they are the correct arms i got from the wreckers. Phew. So i dropped them off at Ian Weatherheads engineering. Picking them up on thursday!

The RA65 struts were oil filled struts, so instead of swapping the gas inserts over from my supra struts. I'm doing a little experimenting and put some new thicker (25/50W) oil in. I have a feeling its too thick as i could barely move the shocks once i changed the oil. If i find it istoo hard, i'll just have to pop the gas inserts in.

Also ordered some new rotors (nothing special), bought some ball joints and buying some pads on monday.

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/6529/struts021ty.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 09 October 2005 10:56]

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra (56k Warning) Sat, 15 October 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you need to change the bush in the top and the seal, also get the propper non foaming oil from a motorbike place
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Project: Sam's MA61 Supra (56k Warning) Sun, 16 October 2005 05:21 Go to previous message
Thanks for the tip Allan, i didn't know that. I wouldn't expect my shocks to fail on me the way i did it though, would it?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:¿johnman¿'s SV21
Next Topic:My RA28 2nd rebuild
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:39:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072898864746094 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.