Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 2TGEU + T50 into a AE85

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
AE85_sprinter
Newcomer

September 2005
icon5.gif  2TGEU + T50 into a AE85 Mon, 19 September 2005 06:35 Go to next message
Hey guys and gals.

I've been a reader of you forum for quite a while now. However I have searched the forum for the answer I need but can not find it Crying or Very Sad

I have been offered a 2TGEU engine and T50 gearbox out of a old Corolla. Now the guy selling it to me says it will fit into my car real easy...just use the 2TGEU crossmember and its easy. However this is where I run into some problems....I have read in this forum that the T50 gearbox is different than the AE86 T50 and the engine is alot different that the 4AGE, in the engine mounting department. So although I seem to have already answered my own question I still need to know your answers as I have 1/10th of the knowlage of you people.

Will it fit in easy as of will it require alot of work. Or is it not worth the time and money. The engine + gearbox and all electrics and exhaust is $800 where as the same but with a 4AGE would be $1400....Im happy, more than happy to get the 4AGE if the 2TGEU wont fit or its not worth it...

So any suggestions are very welcomed.

Cheers guys. Wink
  Send a private message to this user    
AE85_sprinter
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: 2TGEU + T50 into a AE85 Mon, 19 September 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah I forgot to say....my car is a Toyota Trueno Sprinter AE85
cooter
Regular

October 2004
Re: 2TGEU + T50 into a AE85 Mon, 19 September 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are 3 variants of the t50.
smaller spline count output shaft, short extension housing: ta22
smaller spline count output shaft, long extension housing:te71/72
larger spline count output shaft, long extension housing: ae86 etc
correct me if im wrong but guys

if you use the bellhousing from the 2tgeu it should bolt to your ae series gearbox. i have a later model gearbox (larger output spline) in my te71 as i found out a little while ago. that way you wont have to change your tailshaft to fit the smaller output shaft 2tgeu gearbox.

disclaimer
all info provided within this forums post is from various sources and the writer is in no way held responsible for any misinfomation contributed. Razz hahaha

hope that helps some
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: 2TGEU + T50 into a AE85 Mon, 19 September 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE85 = 1500cc 3A and K50 box with integral bellhousing, which will not mount to a T series motor.

The swap can be done, will basically be similar to a TE71. However the swap is not really worthwhile as you have all the same work as a 4AGE/T50 work with also needing to make mounts, depending on the donor car the gearlever may also be 100mm too far forward. Then you end up with a 2TG powered AE85 when everyone else wants a 4AGE powered one so it won't be worth anything.

Callum
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 2TGEU + T50 into a AE85 Mon, 19 September 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and just remember the TE7X cars DID NOT have rack and pinion steering (wel, aussie TE72 anyway), so if you swap the cross-member, you may be swapping out decent steering, IF you can make the recirc steering fit..

engine mounts shouldn't be too hard, but it hardly seems worth it..

unless you bore and stroke the 2T to be 2L Wink
then you have a 2L spoontah while everyone else has a 1.6 Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 19 September 2005 08:04]

AE85_sprinter
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: 2TGEU + T50 into a AE85 Mon, 19 September 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok. So

A: Its not really worth it, spend alittle more and I could have 4AGE power which if I decide to sell will fetch a higher price that the 2TGEU.

B: The conversion can be done but with the same amount of work a 4AGE is alot more rewarding.

C:The gearlever could be sitting 100mm to far foward so more modification is required.

Well looking at those points the conculsion seems to say that in the long run its not worth fitting the 2TGEU to the AE85.

My main concern and thoughts behind asking the question, is how hard would this conversion be....I understand using the Corollas 2TGEU crossmember I had to make brackets up for the steering etc etc...so in the long run after spending the money and all the work it wouldnt be worth it at all.
AE85_sprinter
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: 2TGEU + T50 into a AE85 Mon, 19 September 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW the engine came from the same type of car that is in Cooters pic. Cool
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: 2TGEU + T50 into a AE85 Mon, 19 September 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In that case its from a TE71.

Gear lever is fine.
Gearbox crossmember will bolt up.
Standard driveshaft will fit the box, may need to shorten it a little.
Need to make/mod engine mounts, not even worth considering swapping crossmembers although you could simply transfer the mounts from one crossmember to the other(if you do grab a KE70 one to mod and sell your AE85 one).
Need to fit hydraulic clutch.
Complete exhaust should fit no problems.
Try to get the diff as well as it is a T series where as yours will most likely be the smaller S series.

Callum
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 2TGEU + T50 into a AE85 Mon, 19 September 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
callum, does that particular car have rack and pinion, like KE70 and AE86, or does it have recirculating steering crap, like the TE72???

i stil think if you made a 2L 2TG, it would be faster than a 4AG.. not as revvy, but better to drive. and arguably similar resale...
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: 2TGEU + T50 into a AE85 Mon, 19 September 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What you make up in resale value by making your 2tg 2L, you lose in expenses in the process Wink
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: 2TGEU + T50 into a AE85 Mon, 19 September 2005 20:33 Go to previous message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 23:08

callum, does that particular car have rack and pinion, like KE70 and AE86, or does it have recirculating steering crap, like the TE72???

Every TE71 (1600cc) or TE72 (1800cc) I have seen still runs the steering box. I believe it is because the rack doesn't clear the bellhousing braces. There were also a number of KE70's that ran steering box as well and not just early models. Have seen an 83 KE70 wagon that used a steering box, was NZ assembled and definitely factory.

Callum
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZ questions
Next Topic:SC14 - what oil? and other questions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 08:59:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061070919036865 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.