Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » How many kms before the engine dies in general?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
banksia
Occasional Poster

September 2005
How many kms before the engine dies in general? Fri, 16 September 2005 19:15 Go to next message
Hi, just a question, how many kms can a camry/celica/corolla or just Toyota engines in general do before the die? 350,000 - 400,000kms? Any ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Fri, 16 September 2005 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 4A-GE was on 520,000ks when I sold my SX. It was still going strong, no smoke, didn't use oil, had good power.
The ks were mostly done on freeways, so not too much start - stop short city trips
Gearbox was a bit second hand though.

[Updated on: Fri, 16 September 2005 20:33]

Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Fri, 16 September 2005 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends on if u drive like my mother or like norbie

my mother has kept her Valiant AP6 Safari engine going since 63 without being opened, norbie has started to kill his 2J after 2 years Razz

banksia
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Sat, 17 September 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So buying a 250-300,000 kms celica isn't too bad then if its had a service history?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Sat, 17 September 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
banksia wrote on Sat, 17 September 2005 12:13

So buying a 250-300,000 kms celica isn't too bad then if its had a service history?

its not just the engine you need to consider there are things that will cost you more to fix like

ball joints
suspension bushes
shocks
brake discs
cv joints

the list goes on but just to replace those parts it can be a few thousand dollars so it may pay to get the car inspected by a mechanic and check the service record to see what has been replaced and when....
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Sat, 17 September 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Sat, 17 September 2005 12:19

banksia wrote on Sat, 17 September 2005 12:13

its not just the engine you need to consider there are things that will cost you more to fix like

ball joints
suspension bushes
shocks
brake discs
cv joints

the list goes on but just to replace those parts it can be a few thousand dollars so it may pay to get the car inspected by a mechanic and check the service record to see what has been replaced and when....

An engine generally will last as long as it is looked after. Whats to say an engine with 100k kms hasn't been thrashed everyday of the week and not serviced properly compared to one thats done 200k kms and is serviced to the book and driven by an old fart.
Looking at the service record is a good start, but depending on how long the person has owned the car it may be a good idea to assess certain things about them and there character. Driving position when they take you for a drive in it Whether the interior is clean or not alhtough if you are selling a car you'd hope he'd clean it for you.
My corona is now on 414000kms and its still going strong, it's producing just a touch more power than stock, it uses oil but that it, in the 2 years i've owned it aparts from general servicing and topping up oil the car has never broken down.
Dorio86
Regular

August 2005
Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Sat, 17 September 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would it be wrong if I said there is not definite answer.

It depends, how many times you drive it, how long you drive it for, how hard you push the engine, how long you let the engine worm up, how many times you change the oil and oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, etc.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Sat, 17 September 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dorio86 wrote on Sat, 17 September 2005 15:42

It depends, how many times you drive it, how long you drive it for, how hard you push the engine, how long you let the engine worm up, how many times you change the oil and oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, etc.

not wrong.. just remarkably vague.

for engines that are reasonably caed for and not thrashed..
K engines usually make it to 200,000 before blowing smoke.
4AC/4AG, more like 200-300... my mums 4AC is going past 330.

bigger engines tend to last longer as they rev les, and to a large extent revs are what causes wear (after poor servicing etc.)

a 250-300Kkm engine should be considered to be fucked, and be happy if it is anything but.
as 4AGTE said, the km of a car also indicate the wear on the rest of the car, steerign and suspension... engines are easily changed/rebuilt, but everything else is more annoying..
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Sat, 17 September 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it just luck too be honest!!

Basically i would be worried if a car i was looking at buying had 300,000km up on it (unless i knew the owner) but hey that's me

Toyota motors are pretty reliable though so it may be ok. I know some one who got over 400,000km out of an SV21 Camry and was still running fine and not using oil.But as mentioned what needs fixing on it with that many kays??

Just something you should consider
Dorio86
Regular

August 2005
Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Sat, 17 September 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Sat, 17 September 2005 16:30

Dorio86 wrote on Sat, 17 September 2005 15:42

not wrong.. just remarkably vague.

for engines that are reasonably caed for and not thrashed..
K engines usually make it to 200,000 before blowing smoke.
4AC/4AG, more like 200-300... my mums 4AC is going past 330.

bigger engines tend to last longer as they rev les, and to a large extent revs are what causes wear (after poor servicing etc.)

a 250-300Kkm engine should be considered to be fucked, and be happy if it is anything but.
as 4AGTE said, the km of a car also indicate the wear on the rest of the car, steerign and suspension... engines are easily changed/rebuilt, but everything else is more annoying..

It's extremely vague has I'm speaking in general terms.
I might had that temperate, hot and humid can shorten the life of a engine.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Sat, 17 September 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Get an 18RG.... they never, ever die. Unless of course you're Witzl.

seeyuzz
river
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Sat, 17 September 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The same can be said for a 3k or 4k... they take abuse really well, you can run them dry of oil and coolant and it'll still kinda run. Hasn't someone run one without oil and coolant, had it sieze up and then after refilling the oil have it run again?? They are tough little motors!!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Sat, 17 September 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick wrote on Sat, 17 September 2005 17:21

I think it just luck too be honest!!

Basically i would be worried if a car i was looking at buying had 300,000km up on it (unless i knew the owner) but hey that's me

Toyota motors are pretty reliable though so it may be ok. I know some one who got over 400,000km out of an SV21 Camry and was still running fine and not using oil.But as mentioned what needs fixing on it with that many kays??

Just something you should consider

reminds me, the coke sales reps were getting between 400 and 500Kkms from the SV21's.. and they don't treat them nicely (but regularyl serviced)..
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Sat, 17 September 2005 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Sat, 17 September 2005 18:33

Hi,

Get an 18RG.... they never, ever die. Unless of course you're Witzl.

seeyuzz
river

Mine threw a rod on a mountain run. I call BS on this.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Sat, 17 September 2005 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my first 3sge died with 330k on it...it wasnt using oil at all, it still had monster power...only reason it died is i sort of did an oil change...got distracted...came back 2 days later forgotten i hadnt put oil in it..and thrashed the fuck out of it (i was knew to the licence thing, i knew no other way to drive) for a week....realised it had no oil in it...topped it up...stuck it on a dyno..and it finally seized....im confident if i hadnt brutally murdered and tortured it the way it did that it wouldve had atleast another 100k of hard driving in it
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Sat, 17 September 2005 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats not something id be admitting to people dude Laughing
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Sat, 17 September 2005 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for once i agree with Andrew, you will get slandered for being such a n00b.

Eldar.O.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Sat, 17 September 2005 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think it's kinda funny Razz

it is amazing what engines can put up with and still live...

i've come close to killing things, like with broken valve locks half coming out but the valves never dropped.. just sounded terrible.... and other things broken related to rpm Wink

but never had a catastrophic failure... knock on wood.

but gearboxes.... dont get me started on them Razz
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Sat, 17 September 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-=DV=- wrote on Sun, 18 September 2005 01:28

my first 3sge died with 330k on it...it wasnt using oil at all, it still had monster power...only reason it died is i sort of did an oil change...got distracted...came back 2 days later forgotten i hadnt put oil in it..and thrashed the fuck out of it (i was knew to the licence thing, i knew no other way to drive) for a week....realised it had no oil in it...topped it up...stuck it on a dyno..and it finally seized....im confident if i hadnt brutally murdered and tortured it the way it did that it wouldve had atleast another 100k of hard driving in it

My old courier van Mitsu Express (4G63 SOHC) pretty much died at 330,000km but with stories like this im not suprised::

I asked my dad the day before if hed put oil in the car... he said yes, so i hurried off to work.. around 12pm it started making bad noises but i couldnt stop to check it because it was a busy ass day... so at the end of a 10hr day (250km+ later) i finally got home to check it out right away.. (ZERO and i mean ZERO oil) (my dad put oil in the OTHER car!!!!) the car ran 250kms and 10hrs straight with im guessing intially little oil.. and then eventually none.

This was at the 315,000km mark and about a week later it started to smoke hell bad... and now shes up in engine heaven =p Tough little engine though, at 315,000km it ran pretty damn well.. even pulling those 500kg+ loads up hills well... and it wasnt even that well looked after before hand... needless to mention the dodgy autobox which wouldnt let you into 4th gear.. (freeway in 3rd and 4000-5000rpm.. not fun)
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Sun, 18 September 2005 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-=DV=- wrote on Sun, 18 September 2005 01:28

Oil light/oil gauge? Rolling Eyes

Cheers
Wilbo
74ROLLA
Regular

July 2004
Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Sun, 18 September 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd rather buy a car with 100,000 to 200,000 county K's than a car driven around the city with 50,000 k's!

Service history is vital! So does the make of car. Missus owned a Hyundai Lantra, even with regular servicing we still only got about 140,000 out of it before it was pretty stuffed (motor and box). Meanwhile we have a Nissan Patrol with 500,000 county k's on it, service every 10,000 k's and still runs like new!

Then theres our KE20 4K - It'll never die!
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Sun, 18 September 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Sun, 18 September 2005 04:03

for once i agree with Andrew, you will get slandered for being such a n00b.

Eldar.O.

i was a n00b...it was my first car...i was doing something..i got sidetract (ie. best mate was rushed to hospitol so i just dropped what i was doing and went..came back 2 days later stressed out and had forgotten i was ever doing anything)....it happens...i was uber n00b and thats how i killed my first 3sge...if people slander me..they slander me....every1 has learned atleast 1 thing the hard way...i just happened to learn that the hard way
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Mon, 19 September 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I blew the conrod in my commodore at about 190K. The camery blew it's conrod at about 325k, about a month after I sold it to a mate.
My fairlane that I just got rid of, ran like a charm, and had 255k on it. However it needed alot of work on power steering, exhuast, susension. etc.
Just picked up my GT4 with 175K on it, and she runs good, but still needs alot of work.
I guess it all comes down to luck, and if the car was looked after. I have heard of new cars having big problems.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Mon, 19 September 2005 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Sun, 18 September 2005 10:50

Oil light/oil gauge? Rolling Eyes

Cheers
Wilbo

well the guage obviously wasnt working was it..otherwise i would have been reminded i hadnt put oil in it Rolling Eyes
nath437
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Tue, 20 September 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got my st-162 celica (3s-ge) and about 10Kkms later(cant remember exactly) it did a bearing or somthing nasty still ran tho and not a big loss of power, mind you i think i did it dragging a VP, anyway the engine wasnt looked after and i started looking after it,serviced every 5Kkms i mean lol. my current engine is a reco engine from HM Gem (i wont be goin there again mind you), same engine, serviced every 5Kkms goes good, does burn some oil, blows some F***ing smoke when i put my foot down and has survived running for a couple of days without coolant(mechanic's fault, he didnt tighten up a hose right after replacing somthing) anyway its a chance with any car engine that you look at, get a mechanic that you trust or an racv check to give you an idea on it if your not sure
pomey
Regular

May 2005
Re: How many kms before the engine dies in general? Tue, 20 September 2005 07:52 Go to previous message
Who cares just buy the car!

If it goes wrong then fix it urself and do a good job. This way u'll be sure of the condition, u'll learn somethin and best of all hopefully u'll have a bit of fun!!! Of course this is just my 2 cents worth but oh well, just buy it!!

Cheers, Pomey!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:on holidays for all nov
Next Topic:Crown gets new shoes.......
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 07:28:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060460567474365 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.