Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Rossco
Regular

June 2002

1jz single kit questions Thu, 12 August 2004 10:42 Go to next message
today i bought a
"greddy TD07s-25g 1jz kit"

what kinda power could i expect from this on an otherwise stock motor?
anyone seen these in action either on a 1jz or any other engine?

any ideas of when boost would be useble?
would cams help?

what ecu and injectors to use???

its all going into gz20 soarer with 1jz non vvti
lemme know
ROss
  Send a private message to this user    
Rossco
Regular

June 2002

Re: 1jz single kit questions Thu, 12 August 2004 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my power aim is 450 hp at the treads

and maybe a big power run once to get a big show off hp figure

Ross
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz single kit questions Thu, 12 August 2004 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The TD07 is a HUGE turbo for a 1JZ. I wouldn't expect it to spool up until mid-high 5000rpm. You'll easily need a new ECU, injectors, intercooler and other work (maybe cams) to get it to run properly. Lag will be pretty bad on a 2.5 litre engine though.
Rossco
Regular

June 2002

Re: 1jz single kit questions Thu, 12 August 2004 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha yer i know its big turbo

but think how much fun it'll be once on boost

ROss
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 1jz single kit questions Thu, 12 August 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Think how many pairs of undies you're gonna go through once it comes on boost! Jesus man, is this a daily driver?
Rossco
Regular

June 2002

Re: 1jz single kit questions Thu, 12 August 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
car already has a large hks cooler
os giken triple plate and cusco diff

so in theory all id need to get her going is big injectos, and ecu/tune and fuel system to support?

would cams/ cam gears help at all? or the benifiets out weighed by the cost?

Rossco
Regular

June 2002

Re: 1jz single kit questions Thu, 12 August 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer it'll be a daily driver

Very Happy
ROss
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 1jz single kit questions Thu, 12 August 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like fun to me Very Happy Evil or Very Mad

I wouldn't bother with the cams dude.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz single kit questions Thu, 12 August 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what I have read 264 degress is the biggest cams you can go without making it idle rough. I would be looking into some cams as well as an ECU that can raise the rev limit a bit as you don't want to hit boost and then have to change gears straight away.

Everyone knows the bottom ends are strong but does anyone know what sort of revs the valve springs, valves etc. can sustain?

You are a lucky fella Rossco! Smile
JZA70_R
Regular

December 2003

Re: 1jz single kit questions Thu, 12 August 2004 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pass the TDO7 over this way and i'll tell u how it goes Evil or Very Mad
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz single kit questions Thu, 12 August 2004 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Thu, 12 August 2004 21:28

from what I have read 264 degress is the biggest cams you can go without making it idle rough.

264? Bah, pussy! Razz

I know for a fact that 272 cams will idle fine on a 2JZ (a noticeable lump, but nothing horrible), so I think it's fair to assume they'll be OK on a 1JZ as well.
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1jz single kit questions Fri, 13 August 2004 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree with norbie
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz single kit questions Fri, 13 August 2004 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The info. came from SF.com so...?

I guess they were wrong Smile

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz single kit questions Fri, 13 August 2004 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suspect tuning plays a major role here. A friend of mine has 272 cams but he also has a Haltech; if you tried it with a stock ECU it would probably run like crap.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1jz single kit questions Fri, 13 August 2004 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you gotta have the lump when you do cams... its essential Very Happy
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 1jz single kit questions Fri, 13 August 2004 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Thu, 12 August 2004 21:28

I would be looking into some cams as well as an ECU that can raise the rev limit a bit as you don't want to hit boost and then have to change gears straight away.

Very good point dude. With a turbo like that you would be hitting boost so late that you would run out of revs real quick...

I also agree with MR 1GGTE'a last comment Evil or Very Mad
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: 1jz single kit questions Fri, 13 August 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont know about the actual physics of the TD-07 25G, but i know that twin TD-06's work well on a 1JZ. about 500 odd RWHP worth of good, and there was still more left in the turbos. full boost should not be coming on REALLY late, just late Rolling Eyes
as for power, 2 TD-07's can support about 800KW on a 2JZ if thats any idication Shocked Surprised
the bottom end seems to be the limiting factor in the rev department for a 1JZ. not strength, thats no problem, they just dont seem to want to rev. about 7.5 - 8k is what i hear.
cams, ecu, and seriously trick manifold are gunna be needed for that kinda revs though.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz single kit questions Fri, 13 August 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 1JZ is stupidly revvy thanks to its very short stroke... getting beyond 8k will be a walk in the park with a suitable valvetrain. Hell, even my 2JZ with its much longer stroke has the rev limiter set at 7.2k!
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1jz single kit questions Fri, 13 August 2004 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard of a need for brass valve stem seals or something along them lines when revving soo fast otherwise the seals implode on themselves.
this came from someone running a 1g to 9500rpm
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz single kit questions Sat, 14 August 2004 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah hardest i could rev my 1j was a lazy Very Happy 10980RPM!!! Shocked no worries with the rev department!!!!!!

[Updated on: Sat, 14 August 2004 04:47]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1jz single kit questions Sat, 14 August 2004 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mx83toy wrote on Sat, 14 August 2004 14:16

yeah hardest i could rev my 1j was a lazy Very Happy 10980RPM!!! Shocked no worries with the rev department!!!!!!

Yeah thats good but how does your diff and trans cope with that much revvidge??? Confused
Rossco
Regular

June 2002

Re: 1jz single kit questions Sat, 14 August 2004 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm

obviously its going to be a laggy mofo

and i dont really wanna open the motor up, what would be a suitable redline to use?
ive read a few guys have 8200ish on totally stock motors with aftermarket ecus with no dramas

any ideaS?

ROss
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: 1jz single kit questions Mon, 16 August 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, that is basically what i was getting at....
without some major internal hardware that is suited to revving hard, there has been some issues.....
with the right cams, there should be no problem with an 8000 rpm redline... this is what all the literature i have read seems to agree upon... tuning and cooling is DEFINATELY the key though.
anyone feel free to correct me if i am wrong ( as this could easily be the case... Razz )
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz single kit questions Mon, 16 August 2004 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Sat, 14 August 2004 17:53

Yeah thats good but how does your diff and trans cope with that much revvidge??? Confused

still there.....*scratches head* i think??? Laughing
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz single kit questions Mon, 16 August 2004 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boxh34d wrote on Mon, 16 August 2004 18:44

without some major internal hardware that is suited to revving hard, there has been some issues.....
with the right cams, there should be no problem with an 8000 rpm redline... this is what all the literature i have read seems to agree upon... tuning and cooling is DEFINATELY the key though.
anyone feel free to correct me if i am wrong ( as this could easily be the case... Razz )

1J's have a factory redline of 8000, they have no issues revving man!!!!
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1jz single kit questions Mon, 16 August 2004 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mx83toy wrote on Mon, 16 August 2004 18:32

MR 1GGTE wrote on Sat, 14 August 2004 17:53

still there.....*scratches head* i think??? Laughing

Will an auto box handle that sort of revs if it is a stocker???
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: 1jz single kit questions Mon, 16 August 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

boxh34d wrote on Mon, 16 August 2004 18:44

anyone feel free to correct me if i am wrong ( as this could easily be the case... )

1J's have a factory redline of 8000, they have no issues revving man!!!!

not to sound like i know everything, as i shall be the first to admit that i dont, but factory redlines dont mean shit...
i dont know whether it they rev nice and smooth with no damage to 8000 stock, but most tacho redlines are over rated....
and besides, its one thing to have the revs, but they dont need 8000 while stock... the max power is at 6200, so why rev a stock one past like 6500.... seems kinda pointless to me...
but like i said, im happy to be corrected at any stage, as i am by no means an expert.
p.s, if this comes across as arrogant, believe me, that is the last thing that it is spose to....
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz single kit questions Mon, 16 August 2004 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 1jz has a factory redline at 7000rpm. There was some discussion that the manual versions were a bit higher though.

..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1jz single kit questions Tue, 17 August 2004 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who cares, there cheap engines, just give it a hiding until it breaks then buy another one for $800 and out it in and kill it too.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz single kit questions Tue, 17 August 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Since when do 1JZ's cost $800??
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1jz single kit questions Tue, 17 August 2004 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 17 August 2004 11:53

Yes i would also like to know this cos I will take three of them...
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1jz single kit questions Tue, 17 August 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hit the rev limiter on my ol JZA70 was at 7500rpm.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz single kit questions Tue, 17 August 2004 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 17 August 2004 12:23

with no turbos mine cost $650 Smile
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz single kit questions Tue, 17 August 2004 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wastegate wrote on Tue, 17 August 2004 12:33

I hit the rev limiter on my ol JZA70 was at 7500rpm.

same here - I thought, what's that stuttering noise? Then realised 1/2 a second later...shit, it's bouncing off the limiter!!!! Laughing That was a manual too.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz single kit questions Tue, 17 August 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As I said earlier in my post, I've hit 7.2k in my 2JZ (stock engine management), so it's a bit silly to suggest a 1JZ can't go past 7k!
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1jz single kit questions Tue, 17 August 2004 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bare engine no turbos no intake manifold. they are plentiful.

just pick up a phone and ring around.

i did hear of one person buying 3 at one time and getting them for $400 per unit cause of the bulk buy.
soarted bruva
Regular

May 2005
Re: 1jz single kit questions Sat, 17 September 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i see this thread is a little old but i'm reviving it from the dead as it's relevant to me at the moment.

I have a 1J in my soarer also with a TD07 on it. I'm running a microtech LTX12, have big intercooler, HKS external wastgate. The motor has been built up as it has a cam, cam gears, forged pistons, h beam conrods etc so should be pretty tough. Anyway after my first tune i got 245.9 rkw @13psi which aint bad for low boost bearing in mind also that the TD07's are meant to really come to life from 20psi.

The TD07 comes on song way to late for me and i'm pretty keen to downsize my turbo as it's hell laggy. Once you surpass 4000-4500rpm she begins to pull but it's practically time to change gear when your really feeling the G's. Anyone got any suggestions on a good turbo for a 1J that will boost up quicker whilst still being able to get good power output even if it be at runninng higher boost than u might to get the same out of the TD07? Also anyone intersted in a TD07?
petespipes
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1jz single kit questions Sat, 17 September 2005 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garret Gt30R seems quite popular for a daily driver application and depending on your choice of turbine housing size can spool earlier or later with power guideline around 400rwhp with a good tune.Obviously a slightly smaller turbo will make a little less power but deliver that power earlier.
How much power is enough? personally I would like power on tap by 3500 revs but I am very conservative with my revs.I think those monster tachos with shift lights are a bit over the top but when things get frantic it cant be bad having a big light in your face screaming "change the gear stoopid" as its not uncommon to hear of guys spinning a bearing.I assume this is caused by over revving?
soarted bruva
Regular

May 2005
Re: 1jz single kit questions Sat, 17 September 2005 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i was thinking something along the lines of a GT35R which is pretty close to the GT30R, correct? Would would be the difference between say a GT35R and a GT35/40R, reason i ask is i know someone selling the second of the two for a good price. In regards to the specs commmonly quoted on turbo's what do each represent and mean in terms of the way they perform and function?
petespipes
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1jz single kit questions Sat, 17 September 2005 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am a newbie to studying turbo specs,It gets quite complex if you like details you can compare-
wheel sizes,wheel trims,housing sizes.I studied reams of charts for weeks and went full circle by asking the guys with runs on the board for advice.Guys who use the same motor etc.
These Garrets can be purchased new for around 1700,sometimes less.
Sites I found useful-Precision turbo and engine [u.s]
Ray Hall Turbocharging [Aust]Turbotech [aust] A google search should do it.Get ready for a headache.

Seems the most common problem is going too big.People read "capable of making 700 hp" they dont read "700 hp available after 6000rpm on 2.5 litre" you know what im trying to say I hope. Smile
soarted bruva
Regular

May 2005
Re: 1jz single kit questions Mon, 19 September 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'll check out the sites you mentioned, thanx for those.

My car which i imported from Japan was used previously as a drag car so i guess the huge TD07 was suitable for there use but clearly not for my street use.

I've made a definate decison now though to go ahead and chage my turbo and think it's gonna be something like the GT35 or GT35/40R which should suit me perfectly from what i seemed to have learnt from various sources and peoples suggestions.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz single kit questions Mon, 19 September 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't a GT3540 about the same size as a TD07 but BB. In which case, the lag difference will be a bit better but I wouldn't think it would be a huge improvement.

I would be looking at a GT35 at the biggest by the sounds of what you are after.

I don't know how much power you are going for exactly but I was talking to a guy who runs a GT2530 @18psi on his auto 1j and it made 247rwkw and that would be a lot less laggy than your current turbo.
soarted bruva
Regular

May 2005
Re: 1jz single kit questions Mon, 19 September 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh ok, i didn't think it was but i will suss that out cos obviusley if it is the same size then thats not much good. I assumed that the GT35 and GT35/40 would be pretty closely matched but i'm not the clued up to be honest. I have a mate who has a GT35/40 he's selling for about a g but i won't go for the cheaper option if it is the wrong application. I'm currently making about the same as your mate 245.9rwkw @13psi but as previously mentioned it's pretty late in rev range when your really feeling the pull. I'd like 250-300rwkw but with that coming on a hell of a lot earlier. From what i've read the GT35 can reach full boost by 4500rpm, thats when mine just gets started lol. So the td07 isn't BB then, i thought it was by the way the comp wheel seemed to spin by giving it a push spin.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz single kit questions Mon, 19 September 2005 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think any of the trust turbos are BB.

If you want around 300rwkw I would be aiming for a gt35 with the .63 compressor AR. It shoud support that power level and be pretty quick to spool also.

I didn't make 247rwkw, that was a guy I was talking to.

Apparently, my HKS ta45s 1jz running 15psi is making around 210rwkw through an auto. I have some stuff to sort out electronically but I would like more power out of it. It is rated at 650hp max.
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz single kit questions Tue, 20 September 2005 01:37 Go to previous message
A GT35R is just a renamed GT35/40.
I find my GT35R somewhat laggy on my 3L 1.5JZ with useable power only available from 4000rpm!
On a 1JZ, I wouldn't expect too much to happen before 4500rpm from a GT35R.
A GT3037/GT30R is much better suited to a 2.5L than a GT35R imho.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:r154 conversion questions
Next Topic:sw20 import and compliancing etc
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 19:26:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069689750671387 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.