Toymods » General Car Talk » any info on an MR2 wanted please

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
nath437
Occasional Poster

April 2005
icon7.gif  any info on an MR2 wanted please Mon, 19 September 2005 02:32 Go to next message
hey guys i've been looking around for a car to upgrade from my ST-162 NA celica, which has become a money drainer with its "issues" Razz anway and in looking around i stumbled across pics of MR2's (91-95 model) mkII (i think?!?) and was wondering about anyones experiance with them (NA pref).

main things i'd like to know would be fuel usage, performance, how expensive to repair/service, mod potential, things i should look out for and the model number of this car.

thanks guys!

nath
  Send a private message to this user    
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: any info on an MR2 wanted please Mon, 19 September 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a310/hamgatan/Toymods/searchthread.gif

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=80944&rid=6326&S=e7620315bcb4dc46ee89ae8 255800d2a&pl_view=&start=0#msg_763466

Silver-Arrowz
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: any info on an MR2 wanted please Mon, 19 September 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chassis number is SW20.

NA engine is 3SGE. So far mine's reliable and happy as Larry. Minor leak around the oil sump.

One tank (45L i think) gets about 450 - 500km.

I think 94 onwards had an updated rear lights.

Mid 92 onwards had different rear suspension. 89-92 rear suspension was twitchy and not to everyone's flavour but it's debatable.

Servicing is cheap since it's an N/A. I use genuine Toyota filters and oil every 5000k's but like most N/A you can get away every 10000k's.

Since it's an N/A I'm not bothering much with the engine. I've only got a K&N panel filter and engine loves to rev.

It's all suspension and MR2's are great handling cars but when pushed hard they can become savage. Just don't drive like a tool in the wet (or beyond your limit) and you'll be right.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 September 2005 02:53]

nath437
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: any info on an MR2 wanted please Mon, 19 September 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hamgatan - sorry didnt look up there, i just did that google site search thing.

silver - thanks for the info, thats a big help Cool
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: any info on an MR2 wanted please Mon, 19 September 2005 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont mind me dude im just stirring Very Happy

google should usually point you to the right threads from scratch though should you search along strings of like..

buying "SW20R+MR2" "look out for" "3SGE" "3SGTE"

might get you more specific responses..

ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: any info on an MR2 wanted please Mon, 19 September 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've found with the N/A MR2 its sort of like having a celica all over except you have RWD and the handling is alot better, i don't think performance is significantly better as i've driven my friends N/A MR2 and its all about looks and handling Very Happy
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: any info on an MR2 wanted please Mon, 19 September 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
be a man buy an aw11 Very Happy
Jabbott
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: any info on an MR2 wanted please Mon, 19 September 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do yourself a favor. If you don't want the turbo mr2, DO NOT DRIVE ONE, I made that mistake on the weekend. The turbo makes so much of a difference.

As for the info, check out http://www.mr2.com/ or http://www.mr2dc.com/
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: any info on an MR2 wanted please Mon, 19 September 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it has two seats!ive only every seen one good aw11 and that a guy on toymods that goes by the name spanktown.he one is amazing!lol
mick
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: any info on an MR2 wanted please Mon, 19 September 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 19:41

it has two seats!ive only every seen one good aw11 and that a guy on toymods that goes by the name spanktown.he one is amazing!lol
mick

hahahahhahahha
nath437
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: any info on an MR2 wanted please Mon, 19 September 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hamgatam - yeah i just looked up mr2 but didnt know the model number so i just got some stuff that didnt realy make sence to me. but im learning! lol

ST162GT-R - yeah i always wanted a rwd car that handled at a celica'ish level, and looks deciant, looked at commodores but there as common as mud and im not a big fan of their looks (and some off tha people ive seen driving them in my area Wink its gotta been seen to be believed)

4agte - yeah there nice too, infact that was the 1st MR2 i saw and got me onto them lol! but i want to get somthing a little newer than my car, and my heart is (sadly for the aw11) set on the sw20 lol

Jabbott - that good hey? lol as much as i love turbo cars (dads got a 944 turbo '89 goes nice Cool ) eventualy i might turbo it, but im a P plater and i know i'll kill myself with one, i wana live a little bit longer than 19!Laughing

mick - but two seats gets me outta being the DD when i go out! Very Happy and i dont use my back seats that much that i'll miss them
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: any info on an MR2 wanted please Mon, 19 September 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want a second opinion when you go shopping i'll tag along. Very Happy Might even consider trading up too, wouldn't be the first time you've influenced my car buying decisions. Rolling Eyes

You'd probably want to go for one of the later SW20's if you dont want more of the same issues you're having with the Celica, they're not exactly 'new' cars anymore either.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: any info on an MR2 wanted please Mon, 19 September 2005 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it is amazing. If i ever get it back... now where did i put it. Rolling Eyes
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: any info on an MR2 wanted please Mon, 19 September 2005 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahahaha spanktown!its all about mojo !
mick
nath437
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: any info on an MR2 wanted please Tue, 20 September 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha for sure andy, i'll take you up on it! Very Happy
lets see if i can make it 2 in a row with the car decision

yea i was considering at least a '93 model, i know its still getting old but its newer that my '86 st-162. hopefully this time i get a car that's been serviced properly and wont die after some TLC Laughing
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: any info on an MR2 wanted please Tue, 20 September 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aw11, brings mojo....
levos1
Regular

March 2003
Re: any info on an MR2 wanted please Thu, 22 September 2005 05:00 Go to previous message
Yeah the later ones have all the power aswell!

Upgraded brakes and suspension, and sublte body changes. The front lip and rear tail lites
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Streeter by Streeter
Next Topic:ne1 here work in a suspension shop
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 13:52:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064678192138672 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.