Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Wed, 14 September 2005 09:17 Go to next message
I'm in a dilemma.

I love my little car, but I know that all it is going to do is continue costing me money.

My celica has 180,000 km and I have been offered a green UZZ31, with TEMS etc (thankfully, no aftermarket adjuster)which is very clean, 140,000 km for a $2000 cash adjustment (by me Sad .

So what do you guys think? I do love soarers, the only thing holding me back is that I love my Celica.

Is there anything I should know about Soarers?

Cheers in advance guys.
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Wed, 14 September 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Who's to say the Soarer isn't going to cost you lots of money too? What's wrong with the ST185?
1stGen
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Wed, 14 September 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heaps of information on them at the soarer central website.

http://soarercentral.com/cgi-bin/sc-forum/discus.c gi

HEAPS!!!
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Wed, 14 September 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 19:20

Who's to say the Soarer isn't going to cost you lots of money too? What's wrong with the ST185?

Nothing in particular, but i know the engines aren't as solid whereas they are bulletproof in the soarer, maintenancfe and servicing costs a bomb for the gt4 due to the configuration of the engine bay, but the soarer is much more straight forward.

I like both cars. I'm just not sure. Confused
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Wed, 14 September 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have both a GT4 and a SC400 and if i was you i would buy the UZZ31, not because there is anything wrong with the GT4 but its nice to experience different cars. You can always go back to a 4WD turbo car later if you want.

Do you like to drive properly, or cruise round in luxury at a relatively quick pace? In a straight line there is nothing in it, but the 185 has it all over the Soarer when it comes to handling potential. The 3S is gonna keep costing you money simply because its that type of car, youre meant to modify them
. The Soarer is the exact opposite. The main things to watch for are the power steering and the alternator, which sometimes gets leaked on by the overflow tank of the radiator or some such. Electronics can be niggly but its no worse than other car. In 18 months of ownership my scheduled services have generally only a couple of hundred dollars. I had to do the power steering but thats it. Very reliable.

PS: i bought my Soarer with 150,000km, which by 1UZFE standards isn't even 50% of its (original) life span. They're meant to be able to crank out circa 400,000km if they've been looked after.
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Wed, 14 September 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate, I'll definitely take those words into account. I think later down the track I probably will purchase another GT4, but an ST205, in a few years. This is all assuming I decide to go ahead with the sale. It's safe to say that I've already made massive losses off the GT4. The SOarer would probably be the same, but not nearly as bad.
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Wed, 14 September 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree on both counts. 205s are getting reasonably cheap nowadays (compared to their $80,000 factory sticker!) and the Soarer would let you save some cash as well as some stress. DOn't get me wrong though, i'm never gonna sell my 165.
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Wed, 14 September 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Used to own a 162, first car. loved it to death. I sold it to a friend who brought it over the other night. Brings a tear to the eye to see it on my lawn again.
mideon_696
Regular

October 2004
Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Wed, 14 September 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a very similar thought today myself, quite different cars but still, a guy in a cressida came into work today, completely stock, perfect panels and paint, everything looked after superbly, guy was askin $5900. figure i coulda sold the rolla for $10k. woulda bn a handy 4K start on the cressida, ahhh the possibilities. shoulda got his number. ive seen it ther a few times now, so should be back....

crazy thought?
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Wed, 14 September 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wouldnt risk swapping a gtfour. a corolla yes, but a gtfour no.
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Wed, 14 September 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm, still thinking.

What kind of fuel do the V8s use? My GT4 only gets 400km to the tank.
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Wed, 14 September 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Costs a bit more to fill up (sat nite was $100 dollars! but usually circa $70) but considering its literally two engines the 185 has, the fuel efficiency is ok. i think i usually get about 500 from a tank. Freeway driving is good though, i averaged 9 litres/100km on a 1.25hr hour drive. It has enough grunt as well to drive it sedately but still at a reasonable pace.
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Wed, 14 September 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, of theb V8s i've driven, its probably only a little faster than our 3.5L magna (which is pretty effing quick) but it does everything with such refinement that it's unbelievable.

I'm definitely torn between the two cars right now.
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Thu, 15 September 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id stay the ST185.
Not sure about where u r, but there r a shitload more Z30/31 soarers than GT4's where I am. Especially if you are the one who has to pay the 2G cash adjustment.
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Thu, 15 September 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's definitely one advantage. I think some time down the track I'd like to purchase a 205.
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Thu, 15 September 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends what you're lookin for. If u r looking for a reliable cruiser go the soarer, if you're looking for a more sporty ride that u can throw around and have fun with go the gt4. Also i thought the UZZ31 were goin for around the same price as gt4's so unless this one is really nice having to pay 2g on top is a bit steep in my opinion Smile gl with your choice mate.
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Thu, 15 September 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I like the cruiser aspect and am a much more sedate driver these days, it's just the sentimental thing really. I've wanted one of these forever, now I've got one. Knowing me, my past decisions and my luck, as soon as I unload the GT4, it will become incredibly rare, valuable and sought after. I don't think a Soarer is any of those things.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Thu, 15 September 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what size engines do the soarers come in...i know theres a 2.5lt twin turbo version... i didnt know they went up to V8's though??
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Thu, 15 September 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4L, 198 kW V8s came standard aswell. Although the 1J outperforms them in every way, the power is sitting there right from the start, instead of after 3000 rpm.
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Sat, 17 September 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, the offer is on the table anjd I'm willing to take it.

Soarer guys, is there anything I should be checking (apart from interior quality) before committing?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Sun, 18 September 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't get a soarer, there slow Laughing my mr2 kills them Laughing

edit: well my mates one that I raced, ccg guys should know it, chucks sons old one

seriosly though

my mate just bought a v8 soarer, when driving sedatly he gets about 12L/100km, but usually averages about 14/15L/100km

the 1J doesn't out perfomr the V8, the V8 has more power and is more usable everywhere, also insurance, insurance for a 1J will kill you, but a 1U is affordable

[Updated on: Sun, 18 September 2005 02:17]

benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Sun, 18 September 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not worried about your MR2 mate!!

I kinda got over the whole "let's get everywhere as fast as we can" thing about a year ago, which is why I'm in teh market for a V8 soarer right now, I need a luxury cruiser. I do realise that they're not the fastest thing on the planet, but that doesn't bother me.

Also, insurance is waaaay cheaper for a V8 soarer than my GT4
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Sun, 18 September 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keep the bloody ST185.
Or if u must go for a UZ Soarer, dont be paying 2G extra!!!!
And a GT4 is alot easier to park hehe....
Just dont drive it hard.... and lower the boost maybe...
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Sun, 18 September 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Deal is not for 2k.

The ball is in the Soarer guy's court now, he doesn't like the offer I gave him, but then he's pretty desperate to sell. I don't mind what happens either way.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Sun, 18 September 2005 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Change of cars is always a new experience, there will always be things that you hate/miss and there will always be things that you will like, plus all the new experiences that come with it..

just remember, if you sell your GT4, its not like it'll be the last one on the planet, its not that much of an issue to go back Smile

your fuel economy should be around the same though shouldnt it? plus RWD is a hellava lot of fun too Wink

Eldar.O.
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Mon, 19 September 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For a 1.6-1.8 tonne car the UZ331/UZ332 is NOT slow. Perhaps not as quick through corners as an MR2/GT4 but straight line 7 secs 0-100km aint bad. And if you get bored just SC the thing for CL55 AMG style power!
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Mon, 19 September 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just had My last drive of the GT4. EldarO, very true words there, I think I just need to sever the emotional attachment I have with the car, as it simply doesn't suit my needs anymore, maybe I'll get another turbo when I'm 25 and a half. Rang Shannons and I'm getting $400 back from my premium for going with the soarer.

Unfortunately for my 185, the soarer is a far more economical option, in every regard.

Bye Bye, GT4.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Mon, 19 September 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and after all the problems you have had with the gt4 No No No

technically you didn't own it for too long.

Ohh well enjoy the soarer man, I advise to get a nice exhaust on it, my mate knows the guy who did it, some place at qbn, they sound sooo phat with this exhaust system, and EVERYBODY looks Very Happy but they aren't illegally loud, and when cruising they are really quiet, they get nice when you boot it, if your interested I can give you the guys details Wink

enjoy Smile
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Should I swap my ST185 for a UZZ31 Soarer? Mon, 19 September 2005 21:54 Go to previous message
Exahust is on the list,

But i'm happy to just drive it around for the moment.n It's a nice change not to have to shift at just the right moment to get boost, or not to have to shift at all!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How badly do cars rust in Aussie?
Next Topic:2tg/3tg chain guides
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:23:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071229934692383 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.