Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » new car : 2nd gen (z20) Soarer 1JZGTE . : OR : . s13 silvia RB20DET what would you do??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
icon5.gif  new car : 2nd gen (z20) Soarer 1JZGTE . : OR : . s13 silvia RB20DET what would you do?? Mon, 19 September 2005 15:33 Go to next message
hey ppl,
trying to decide on next car, had my heart set on an s13 and doing an RB20 conversion...BUT drove a 1jzgte for the first time the other day and they are fucking sensational aswell...

Just wondering at how drivable the 2nd gen (z20) soarer's are?
-can they still hang the tail comfortably?
-im still ultimately after a car that performs well but im falling in love with those old soarers Smile

Soarer owners pls feed me info! Surprised
-daniel-
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: new car : 2nd gen (z20) Soarer 1JZGTE . : OR : . s13 silvia RB20DET what would you do?? Mon, 19 September 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Z20 Soarers are very driveable. Stock suspension is fairly soft as that was their design purpose, but the actual chassis isn't too shabby with double wishbones all round.

Sure they weigh a bit more too, but quality wise they shite all over an S13 in every respect.
mz21_shiznac
Regular

January 2005
Re: new car : 2nd gen (z20) Soarer 1JZGTE . : OR : . s13 silvia RB20DET what would you do?? Mon, 19 September 2005 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, I have actually driven both of these cars. The silvia does feel more twitcher than what mine does, both running coilovers, swaybars etc etc. The RB20 sil, in my opinion feels laggy compared to a 1JZ even in a standard form. My friends sil now runs a TD06 turbo and pulls hard but is pretty laggy. It comes on boost around 5500, then just spins to the limiter. The 1JZ will outperform the RB20 in horsepower, but the sil should outperform the soarer. I have a thing for heavy cars and how graceful it looks when it is drifted properly. Cool
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: new car : 2nd gen (z20) Soarer 1JZGTE . : OR : . s13 silvia RB20DET what would you do?? Tue, 20 September 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're seriously hoping to get a fair, unbiased opinion on that question, then this is definitely the wrong place to be asking it.
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: new car : 2nd gen (z20) Soarer 1JZGTE . : OR : . s13 silvia RB20DET what would you do?? Tue, 20 September 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha no shit, should i go to the nissan forums instead or something? Wink
I just want to know a little more about those old soarers from the owners point of view....

With the correct supsension setup etc are z20 a good handling car (even though a little heavier) ?
Double wishbone does sound pretty cool!

How hard is it to drop a 1j into them aswell? Does it fuck up the weight dynamics of the car (i don't know shit about the different weights of 7m vs 1j)?

Feel free to feed me biased opinions , thats why im here Smile
-daniel-
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: new car : 2nd gen (z20) Soarer 1JZGTE . : OR : . s13 silvia RB20DET what would you do?? Tue, 20 September 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive driven the s13, but ive really driven the 180sx Wink. but both have identical chassis and build but different panels. both had ca18det, so not a hell of alot of power, but very lil lag. but handling wise its awesome. take corners at rediculous speeds and it will only oversteer if u ask it to. be polite and it will hug any corner. loved driving that car.

but i got a mate who says nuffin but terrible things about the rb20det as a motor. i dun know much bout the motor its self cept its a injected 2l turbo twincam, but he seems to think that the sr20det is the much prefered motor, jus better built all round.

and thats from wat i would think is a less biased opinion.
my 2c.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: new car : 2nd gen (z20) Soarer 1JZGTE . : OR : . s13 silvia RB20DET what would you do?? Tue, 20 September 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bayka wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 09:39

With the correct supsension setup etc are z20 a good handling car (even though a little heavier) ?
Double wishbone does sound pretty cool!

Decent suspension, decent balance, decent footprint, you do the math Smile So that doesn't come out as biased, while having an inferior suspension system, the S13 has probably more aftermarket support and copes well due to light weight. Support is a moot point though, how much do you need if you can just buy one that works right in the first place? Wink

bayka wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 09:39

How hard is it to drop a 1j into them aswell? Does it fuck up the weight dynamics of the car (i don't know shit about the different weights of 7m vs 1j)?

With a JZA70 front cut, it's a bolt-in proposition. Same for most things. 1JZ is probably lighter than the 7M too, but it wouldn't be a huge difference.

Smokey228 wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 09:51

but i got a mate who says nuffin but terrible things about the rb20det as a motor. i dun know much bout the motor its self cept its a injected 2l turbo twincam, but he seems to think that the sr20det is the much prefered motor, jus better built all round.

The RB is also an inline 6, with a cast iron block. It's going to adversely affect handling, although many will argue it's something they can't feel. The RB is probably a "better" engine than the SR, but the SR has so much aftermarket support and it tends to have a flatter torque curve. That said, it does sound like a tractor whereas the RB is silky smooth and sounds like a proper straight 6 should.

There, I've tried to keep this post as objective as possible...get the Soarer...I'm sick of seeing S13's

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2005 02:41]

bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: new car : 2nd gen (z20) Soarer 1JZGTE . : OR : . s13 silvia RB20DET what would you do?? Tue, 20 September 2005 02:53 Go to previous message
thanks 'frank' Wink
I agree with your thoughts on the tractor like SR completely, i know my next engine must be an manual, inline turbo charged 6 cylinder (rb or 1j)

I MUST have manual though.. how difficult is it to obtain a manual 1j front cut? ( i know the manual 1j soarers are rare as hell so where else do you get them? )

Come on z20 drivers, i wanna hear how your cars drive!
Surprised
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ke25 door
Next Topic:New Toyota Gupra
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 11:11:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046110153198242 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.