Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
st141addict
Occasional Poster

August 2005
2s to 3s-gte Tue, 20 September 2005 02:09 Go to next message
G'day

Was just wondering if anyone knew if a 3s motor would bolt up to the bellhousing for a 2s

Thanks

P.S. I havn't realy had any luck finding out exactly what sort of LSD could be fitted to the old st141 (it seems that LSD's for BW's are in high demand and low supply.) Confused

Would anyone be able to enlighten me as to what is involved in locking a diff. Evil or Very Mad
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2s to 3s-gte Tue, 20 September 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bellhousing will bolt up.. But its not quite as simple as that.. Do a search for more info Smile

Not sure on diff sorry.
st141addict
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 2s to 3s-gte Tue, 20 September 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2005 02:44]

st141addict
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 2s to 3s-gte Tue, 20 September 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your reply

The bellhousing will bolt up.. But its not quite as simple as that.. Do a search for more info

I realise that. Smile
Just wanted to know if i could keep my box (probably no point i doubt it would handle it for very long)

anyway i'm still interested in locking my diff, its about to go to god and i wouldn't mind using it as a tester to try out locking a diff.
Any ideas who i might be able to ask?
84supra
Regular

March 2004
Re: 2s to 3s-gte Tue, 20 September 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Welding a diff eh?

First pull the center out,

Cut two small plates of steel out to fit in the center of all the spider gears, use 5mm thick, approximately 25 x 25mm square,
Weld them in on both sides of the center, to all four spider gears. Use a fair bit of weld, and reasonable heat.
Preferably use mig.
Clean the spatter out with a screw driver from the ring and pinion gear and put it all back together.
If you just use weld you WILL break it!
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 2s to 3s-gte Tue, 20 September 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the gearbox will hold up i'd be suprised if the diff holds up tho.
the bellhousing will work but it will need modding.
st141addict
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 2s to 3s-gte Tue, 20 September 2005 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks alot guys

....84 supra....
I have no idea what you mean....
my diff has 2 pinions, 2 side gears, crown wheel, centre and the other little bits..... spider gear??????? Confused

I just rang around to find someone to do it for me. None of the zaust places in town were interested, though i found out about a guy that apparently could do it. When i rang he said that he wasn't sure if it was possible to do it in the car and

he said that most people take the centre to a foundry and have it filled with lead etc. could somebody enlighten me as to what part exactly i have to get filled and if there is anything else i should know..... oh yeah i know it will be a PITA to drive normally. Evil or Very Mad

Oh yeah, thanks VERY much mookie.
somebody had already said "The bellhousing will bolt up.. But its not quite as simple as that.. Do a search for more info"
I assumed he meant what he said "The bellhousing will bolt up"
not "the bellhousing will bolt up with modification" Rolling Eyes

Anyway thanks again for the help
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2s to 3s-gte Tue, 20 September 2005 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You asked if the bellhousing would bolt up. YES IT DOES.

All the bolts go through the bellhousing into the block.

I said to search because you cant just bolt the bellhousing to the engine, there is more to it. For example you need to run a double row spigot bearing or shave 10 or so mm off the bellhousing so the input shaft from the gearbox is supported.

But you didn't ask these questions you just asked if it bolts up Razz .. If you want details answers, ask detailed questions. Be more specific..

Also if you took the time to search you'd realise I have a 6 page + thread on 3S RWD conversions.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2005 06:42]

st141addict
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 2s to 3s-gte Tue, 20 September 2005 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I stand corrected. Embarassed

what i should have asked was "will the gearbox from a 2s connect to a 3s block unmodified"

and your right about the article, i should have checked before i posted

my apologys Embarassed
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2s to 3s-gte Tue, 20 September 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st141addict wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 18:27

I stand corrected. Embarassed

what i should have asked was "will the gearbox from a 2s connect to a 3s block unmodified"

Well the answer is it will.

But that is still a shite question!! The answer is yes it will connect/bolt on....but then there is still the myriad of shit that has to go with it (i.e. spigot problems, gearbox/engine level problems! lol).

Smile serach and ask detailed questions and life we be much easier!

Cheers
Wilbo
st141addict
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 2s to 3s-gte Tue, 20 September 2005 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wilbo,

"will the gearbox from a 2s connect to a 3s block unmodified"

I thought it would be obvious that when i say "connect" or "bolt up" i do not just mean to ask if it will simply bolt on,I am asking if it will bolt on and work Rolling Eyes.....

Why would somebody just want to know if something will bolt up and not want to know if it will work also? Rolling Eyes

Obviously i have very little knowedge when it comes to motor vehicles, but all you had to say was "yes it will bolt up but it will not work without modification" and then if you decided to be realy helpfull you might have decided to make a quick list of things that will need changing (or just said that it wasn't worth the hassle)

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2s to 3s-gte Tue, 20 September 2005 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Howdy, the problem with all this is nothing in a 3sgte conversion is just a 'bolt up, no modification job'. Pretty much every single part of the conversion needs modifications.

What we are all saying here is the 2S bellhousing is a good start, the bolt holes line up to the 3S block and it does bolt together. - Now this doesn't actually mean thats all you have to do and it'll all just work. Many other things need to be changed and as always there is lots of ways to skin a cat.

If we are strickly talking bellhousings.. Then a 2S bellhousing with a double row spigot bearing or 8 - 10mm shaved off the face of it will get you started.

So Wilbo's and my statement stand correct, the bellhousing does bolt to the 3S, and if decide to get around the input shaft/spigot bearing problem using the double row spigot then you could get away with no bellhousing modifications at all.

But then you will have to also run a different clutch throwout bearing also. So maybe you should be shaving the face of the bellhousing instead, which means it does need to be modified.

Have you considered problems like, flywheel, sump, engine mounts, inlet manifold, turbo manifold, distributor, water pipes? All these need to be modified.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2005 23:10]

st141addict
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 2s to 3s-gte Tue, 20 September 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tnanks for the help guys.

I'm sorry about being such a hassle, i should have explained better in the original post what i wanted know.

Or even better i should have searched the forums properly first before making a topic in the first place. Embarassed

I realise that your statments were correct, i should have explained that i am very new to this and have no idea what sort of other issues there would be.

Thanks turboRA28, form what you have said it seems that it is definitly not worth the hassle to keep my old box..... if i am going to find a motor i might as well find one with a box.

Thanks for your patience guys
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2s to 3s-gte Tue, 20 September 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate the only box that will make your life a bit easier is a Altezza RS200 6 speed box from the Beams 3sge.

Otherwise, it is the 2S bellhousing and W55/7/8 box that will be needed along with some mods.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2s to 3s-gte Tue, 20 September 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st141addict wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 09:40

Thanks turboRA28, form what you have said it seems that it is definitly not worth the hassle to keep my old box..... if i am going to find a motor i might as well find one with a box.

Thanks for your patience guys

If you find a 3s-gte with a RWD gearbox already attached, well lets say you have found rocking horse shit Smile
(3s-gte's never came from factory in any form RWD).

Cheers
Wiblo
st141addict
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 2s to 3s-gte Wed, 21 September 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmmmmm........

bugger.....

Yes....... the 3s-ge from an altezza would still be an option though

any thoughts on which would be easier.

1) turbo mod on a 3s-ge

2)fit the W57-55 (not sure exactly which one i have)
to a 3s-gte, BTW i already have the box and 2s bellhousing

[Updated on: Wed, 21 September 2005 00:21]

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2s to 3s-gte Wed, 21 September 2005 00:38 Go to previous message
st141addict wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 10:18

2)fit the W57-55 (not sure exactly which one i have)
to a 3s-gte, BTW i already have the box and 2s bellhousing

Having a ST141 I suspect that you have a 2s->borgwarner 5spd, and hence a borgwarner 5spd (not a W55/W57).

Also I think you should realise there is much more to it than just bolting the gearbox up correctly...like engine mounts (there is no 'bolt in' available as far as I am aware.), manifolds, etc.

A RWD BEAMS with 6spd will cost a lot.

Cheers
Wilbo
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ST165 front bar help
Next Topic:1JZGTE into 89 Supra
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 23:36:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005763053894043 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar