Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cyprus73
Newcomer

September 2005
Corona MK II conversion Tue, 20 September 2005 06:43 Go to next message
Hi All.

I was wondering if any has installed a Holden V8 into a Corona MK II (mx22 or similar) before, if they would know if it would fit.

I here you ask why.
One, its something different, and two I have my old holden 308 sitting in the garage, which was dyno'd at 300BHP in my HQ, before I upgraded, also I can get my hands on a celica 5 speed with bellhousing to suit.

So I pritty much have everything.
Any advise / assistence would be much appreciated.

Thk's
Cyprus73.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2005 06:43]

Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Corona MK II conversion Tue, 20 September 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You will probably have issues fouling the steering box; apart from that it should fit OK.

Check it's legal in your state before you consider this any further though.

Also, it will suck. Razz
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Corona MK II conversion Tue, 20 September 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the other problem is the rear mounted distributor, which has been known to cause fires in non -308 designed vehicles.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Corona MK II conversion Tue, 20 September 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. Sell 300hp 308 to Bogan for $3000
2. Buy 1UZFE for $1500 or less
3. ????
4. Profit

Simple really
cyprus73
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: Corona MK II conversion Tue, 20 September 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thks for your quick responses.
I've already checked with NSW RTA and I can legally put up to 5.4L with engineer certificate.

The 308 owes me close to 10K.
Pure_In_Sanity
Regular

October 2004
Re: Corona MK II conversion Tue, 20 September 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe put the 308 into a holden or something.

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Corona MK II conversion Tue, 20 September 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cyprus73 wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 16:43

I was wondering if any has installed a Holden V8 into a Corona MK II (mx22 or similar) before, if they would know if it would fit.

You're joking right? Stylish car and worst V8 ever No No No.

Seriously sell the motor, buy a 1/2JZGTE and enjoy the ass rapings your sleeper will provide. The car will be civil, understated and still rip off low 13's/high 12 second quarters.

Ultimately it's your car so do with it what you wish. The MX22 has a narrower and shorter engine bay than the MS65 (in which I have seen a 308) so it might get a little tricky. The issues will be the steering box and clearance of the right bank of cylinders. In the MS65 Crown, you need to make a cutout in the chassis at the front so you have clearance for one of the pulleys (the MX22 chassis is a very similar shape there). Not sure where the starter motor is on those so you'll need to make sure there is clearance. The chassis will need to be some sort of mid sump - ideally you would use something like the 350 Chev HT Monaro sump (except for a 308 obviously - www.highenergy.com.au do this sort of crap).

I also have some concerns about the longevity of a W50 box behind a worked 308 - I suspect any little bit of abuse will snap it like a twig - a standard 308 with regular driving is about the limit for one of those. I would suggest getting at least one of the later W58 style boxes.

But ultimately, just get a 1JZGTE VVTi halfcut, drop it in and enjoy the fun that ensues. My MX23 with a 2JZGE weighs in at 1200 kg, puts down 200 rwhp and rips off a 13.8 second quarter. We have guys here with stock 2JZGTEs and a bleed valve making 300 rwhp with no ridiculous cams or cantankerous carbs to make your life miserable in the morning.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2005 09:02]

7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Corona MK II conversion Tue, 20 September 2005 09:03 Go to previous message
$10k on a 300hp motor? It could only be a V8 Rolling Eyes

Still, I must agree with the others. You will have issues with the steering box and possibly chassis width - drop it into a HR or similar where you can get conversion kits to suit.

Either that or sell it - you'll lose money but say you only got $5-6k that's heaps when you're talking jap motors... and you'll piss in 300hp with pretty much any one of them.

Or, better again... accept you were not only wrong on the V8 vs Jap motor thing, but accept that you were wrong on the car vs bike thing. Get a bike. Ride a 250 (which is probably faster than a 308-powered anything) for 6-12 months then if fast is your thing you can pick up any number of 10/11 second bikes $4k in completely stock trim and get insurance for a couple of hundred bucks a year.

My GPZ900 was cheep (like the budgie), ran 117mph and was $200/year to insure. If I ever buy a car again it'll be a ute or a van to ferry bikes to the track!

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2005 09:08]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:SC12 / 14 teflon lifting . . how bad is it?
Next Topic: metal head gaskets info please!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 11:16:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045340061187744 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.