Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » help my 18rg. (oil out of head)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra40coupe
Occasional Poster

May 2005
help my 18rg. (oil out of head) Tue, 20 September 2005 08:03 Go to next message
well its been about 1-2 months since Ive had the motor all back together, its been running great. till i got my roadworthy, had it sit for a week or two.

One afternoon all of a sudden it starts pissing oil out of the head. just behind the timing cover where the engine number is.

We couldn't find what it was so the head came off, sure we found the head gasket we had didn't seem to sit right over the high pressure oil gallery.

So we got a new ACL gasket, its all been put back together, fired up. and yet again, oil pissing out the head. And the head has been fully recoed.

I'm quite lost as to wat it is.

also a few questions.

my first DUROPRO VRS kit stated torque settings of 64ft lb, as does the GREEN BOOK.

now this ACL gasket which says 18RG, states 88 FT LB. Ive read this heads crack after like 70.

please help me guys thanks in advance

Send a private message to this user    
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: help my 18rg. (oil out of head) Tue, 20 September 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like uv got some major breathing problems somwhere. sorry i cant help you tho. A think maybe a oil gallery blockage causing uber high oil pressure.

Do not take any notice of the ACL torque settings for 18rg's they are wrong.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: help my 18rg. (oil out of head) Tue, 20 September 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check the bolt that fastens the timing cover to the flat plate thing (from the back). its above the engine number

there is an approx 3 inch long bolt that i left loose and after the first run, oil pissed out everywhere. its a real pain in the ass to tighten with the carbs there.
ra40coupe
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: help my 18rg. (oil out of head) Tue, 20 September 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeffro RA28 wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 19:33

Sounds like uv got some major breathing problems somwhere. sorry i cant help you tho. A think maybe a oil gallery blockage causing uber high oil pressure.

Do not take any notice of the ACL torque settings for 18rg's they are wrong.

would this show up as high pressure on my oil gauge, because on idle the oil pressure is low.

what bugs me is that its been running for a while, yet all of a sudden its started.
ra40coupe
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: help my 18rg. (oil out of head) Tue, 20 September 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brett_celicacoupe wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 19:43

check the bolt that fastens the timing cover to the flat plate thing (from the back). its above the engine number

there is an approx 3 inch long bolt that i left loose and after the first run, oil pissed out everywhere. its a real pain in the ass to tighten with the carbs there.

im pretty sure its not coming out the timing cover.

there is part of the block which stick out, just above that bolt near the engine number. OIL is flowing out the gasket onto this ledge, then running down the timing cover.

i will however check that the bolts on the timing cover are fine.
ra40coupe
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: help my 18rg. (oil out of head) Wed, 21 September 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=jeffro RA28 wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 19:33]Sounds like uv got some major breathing problems somwhere. /quote]

well after a guy i knew had a play with it to see what it was, i decided while it was running to pull the PCV valve off, and fuck it went. so much air pressure.

i feel like a dick having put the PCV valve on the wrong way, despite testing it to make sure it was the right way. anyway i fixed it.

but the first gasket i had still was a bit dodgy.

thanks guys for the help
omegaman
Regular

August 2003
Re: help my 18rg. (oil out of head) Wed, 21 September 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As brett stated above, you will find that where the timing cover meets the front face of the block, at the top bolt, you might have a little excess gasket from the timing cover which sticksup into the head gasket. This should be sealed with sealant, also a sealant should be put into the bolt hole at the top of the timing case.
Me thinks?
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: help my 18rg. (oil out of head) Wed, 21 September 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look up omegaman ^^^^^

Problem solved!!!
omegaman
Regular

August 2003
Re: help my 18rg. (oil out of head) Wed, 21 September 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check out photo.
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/4290/18rgcopy4lh.th.jpg
ra40coupe
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: help my 18rg. (oil out of head) Wed, 21 September 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i have the green book, i sickflexed the whole timing cover, trust me its stuck on Laughing

but i didnt goo the head gasket where it meets the timing cover. should this be done?

anyway, it was the breathing problem which forced it out the gasket, it is no longer leaking.
omegaman
Regular

August 2003
Re: help my 18rg. (oil out of head) Wed, 21 September 2005 10:44 Go to previous message
bargin, love this bible.
It wasa thought Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Repositioning?
Next Topic:flat spots help!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 06:48:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0087170600891113 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.