Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Wed, 21 September 2005 13:09 Go to next message
i think its 24mm front and 16mm rear from memory?

can anyone confirm?
no i can just go an measure it - i have no verniers or measuring devices at this place No No No

barbaric, i know

cheers
ed
  Send a private message to this user    
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Wed, 21 September 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SEARCH!!!!!!! Laughing
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Wed, 21 September 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got a crossmember sitting in my garage with swaybar still attached...

want me to measure the diameter with a string? Razz
SA63
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Wed, 21 September 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=34045&rid=&S=2ac5d7fd482efea791f6638d552 db01f&pl_view=&start=0#msg_299463
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Wed, 21 September 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On a kind of related note, does anyone know how similar the shape of xA6x Supra & xA6x Celica swaybars are?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Wed, 21 September 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
errrm.... yes....

i searched while i was at work today. damn weirdo search engine, i still wonder how its works sometimes Confused Confused

EDIT - CORRECT SIZES::

anyway:
front 24mm
rear 16mm

[Updated on: Fri, 23 September 2005 07:23]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Wed, 21 September 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
which then raises the interesting point...

why did whiteline decide that their ma61 bars would be 18mm and 27mm respectively? that equates to a % increase of 60% on the rear, yet only 36% on the front???

as if the ma61 wasnt tail happy enough already Confused
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Wed, 21 September 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OD isn't everything when it comes to swaybars... some are hollow, some solid, etc etc. But even still... NFI. Whiteline do odd things. IIRC their front/rear spring rates for xA6xs are pretty werid too.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Wed, 21 September 2005 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
those % rates are taken from whiteline's diameter conversion chart

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Thu, 22 September 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 23:27

On a kind of related note, does anyone know how similar the shape of xA6x Supra & xA6x Celica swaybars are?

Rear should be the same (for IRS models of course), but there are some differences in the front. I don't know the details, but I know Paul Pyyvaara had to make a few modifications to make a Celica swaybar fit on his MA61.

Note to Ed: if you're planning to buy a Whiteline swaybar, be careful. The aforementioned swaybar used by PP was a Whiteline product listed as an MA61 part, but it didn't fit. Further investigation revealed it was a Celica swaybar; apparently Whiteline thinks the Celica and Supra have an identical front end.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Thu, 22 September 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Norbie. I thinking along the lines of a supra swaybar maybe clearing the front sump on my 1G. (Being in Tassie I can't just rock up to Kmac/Whiteline etc and get them to make me a custom one...though I suppose I may end up having to give measurements over the phone).

As I said, the whiteline spring rates were bit whack (much stiffer in the front, fairly soft i nthe back IIRC) so other celica/supra oddness o ntheir part doesn't surprise me at all.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Thu, 22 September 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 11:07

Note to Ed: if you're planning to buy a Whiteline swaybar, be careful. The aforementioned swaybar used by PP was a Whiteline product listed as an MA61 part, but it didn't fit. Further investigation revealed it was a Celica swaybar; apparently Whiteline thinks the Celica and Supra have an identical front end.

anyone have a pic of a stock front bar??

going to be difficult to tell if the one i get is correct until i rip my car apart otherwise

cheers
ed

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 02:23]

Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Thu, 22 September 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could just try kmac or someone else instead.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Thu, 22 September 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the man has a point
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Thu, 22 September 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah K-mac bunch o crap...

"ya boss.. ey? what, you mean size? nah, me not know what the size is boss, ill have to look it up..."

looks like ill need to scrounge a front and rear bar from the wreckers, and say here - make one of these, only fatter...
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Thu, 22 September 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 13:31

ah K-mac bunch o crap...

"ya boss.. ey? what, you mean size? nah, me not know what the size is boss, ill have to look it up..."

looks like ill need to scrounge a front and rear bar from the wreckers, and say here - make one of these, only fatter...

Rolling Eyes
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Thu, 22 September 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 13:17

the man has a point

Yay! I've been waiting for someone to say that for years Wink
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Thu, 22 September 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 13:31

Or, you could wait for me to measure my stock bars tonight. Send me a PM to remind me. Smile
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Thu, 22 September 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not a MA61 but;

something to note for live axle celicas (pre RA60);

assuming the front is the same for ra23/28/40's , a cressida 24mm sway bar will bolt straight in. Smile . its actually about 5mm wider but it still fits no problem.

stiffens things rite up Very Happy , standard is like 19mm i think

for the rear on my ra40 (can't confirm for ra23/28); RA60 rear sway bar will bolt straight in no problems. of course, the mounts have to be put on the diff but thats no problem. there are holes already in my chassis box rails for the other mounts Confused ??!!

not the thickest sway bar but sure beats having nothing at all Wink

bit off topic but say i got an engineering place to weld up one of the holes and redrill them the correct width on a RA60 steering arm (whatever they are called ) to fit my ra40 struts - would this totally fuk the strength of the arm??

2 reasons for wanting to do this:
1. slightly more hole offset (-ve camber)
2. much much shorter (less turns for lock to lock)

feel free to ignore it if you think its way off topic (no point starting a new thread though)

thanks

brett
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Thu, 22 September 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brett_celicacoupe wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 14:53

bit off topic but say i got an engineering place to weld up one of the holes and redrill them the correct width on a RA60 steering arm (whatever they are called ) to fit my ra40 struts - would this totally fuk the strength of the arm??

Yes. It's a cast part so you can't do this. You'll never get your car engineered with modifications to the steering arm.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Thu, 22 September 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I just measured my spare MA61 swaybars.

Front: 24mm
Rear: 16mm

Look like you remembered correctly. Smile
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Thu, 22 September 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbs - the front definitely isnt hollow is it??

looks like whiteline may have gotten it right then... thats and equal 60% increase fr and rr..

cheers mate
ed
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Thu, 22 September 2005 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 22:23

norbs - the front definitely isnt hollow is it??

Dunno - how can you tell? (Without cutting it in half that is).
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Thu, 22 September 2005 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it would weigh a lot (or not)
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Thu, 22 September 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh. My spare swaybar is still attached to a spare front end (crossmember, control arms etc) so it's pretty hard to tell. Smile
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Thu, 22 September 2005 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh k - no problem

theres a ma61 at the wreckers that i think still has the bars in place, ill just go brag those on sunday

thanks again norbie

cheers
ed
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Sun, 25 September 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd rate the chances that the stock MA61 swaybar being hollow is elevnty billion to one.

It may be on some high end cars and some of the new ones as they try and reduce weight, but not on most cars.

Cheers

Michael B
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Sun, 25 September 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup, ma61 from bar is solid...

and can i add what a f**kin* *unt that front bar is to get out...

arrghhh
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ?? Mon, 26 September 2005 01:22 Go to previous message
LOL it's so true! Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:7M-GTE hunting at idle.
Next Topic:Trusted Workshops in sydney area
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 12:53:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0080230236053467 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.