Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Value For money (and Traction) Tyres

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Value For money (and Traction) Tyres Wed, 21 September 2005 12:04 Go to next message
Im after a good set of tyres, 255/40/17 and 225/45/17.

The car will be driven once a week on a sunday and at best maybe the occasional saturday. I do NOT intend to drive it in the rain so wet weather traction isn't a major concern.

I also don't want a super soft tyre that will vulcanise just sitting around in the garage.

Traction is what im looking for, but at a decent price!

Car currently has Yokohama Advans on it from japan which are fairly soft and fast wearing tyre and for a similar AVSV102 ive been quoted $410 a rear tyre.

Im interested in the kumho Ecsta MX and a dealer has told me about the kumho KU21 which he swears by.

Just after some opinions.
  Send a private message to this user    
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Value For money (and Traction) Tyres Wed, 21 September 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I find the potenza GIII's are good, but i've heard good things about kumho tyres too. I had a set of kumho ecsta supra's on my car before.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Value For money (and Traction) Tyres Wed, 21 September 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the exact same sizes on my Supra. I decided to go for mid-range tyres - something with reasonable grip and handling, but nothing expensive or uber-soft because with my driving style they'll last about 3 weeks. Razz

Anyway, I decided on Dunlop SP3000A's for the front (same as used on XR6's so they're plentiful and thus well priced), and Kumho Ecsta's on the back. I'm quite happy with the performance of the Dunlops given the price (about $236 when I bought them); sure there are much better tyres out there but these are the best I've ever owned so I'm happy.

The Kumho's are nothing special but they hook up better than they have any right to, and given their bargain price for a tyre of that size they're actually quite respectable. They also seem to be lasting quite well, despite my silly camber and frequent sideways action! Wink
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Value For money (and Traction) Tyres Wed, 21 September 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The sumitomo HTRZ is the same tyre as the SP3000 and cheaper Wink

Sumitomo is the parent company of Dunlop, had those on the 61.

Did you get the Ecsta MX or Ecsta SUPRA! ?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Value For money (and Traction) Tyres Wed, 21 September 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dunlop D01J.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Value For money (and Traction) Tyres Wed, 21 September 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 22:35

Dunlop D01J.

Yeah ive seen those, very nice, but im guessing uber soft and uber $$$$.

They also dont have the right size.
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: Value For money (and Traction) Tyres Wed, 21 September 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Potenza G111 tyres were cheap (came with car), but they really aren't that tough. And they aren't cheap new for that matter. But they exceed my expectations. As said above, Kuhmo gets raving reviews, and I've heard some positive things about federal (also heard some VERY negative things).
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Value For money (and Traction) Tyres Wed, 21 September 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Then just get some Advan 032R. They rock too. They cut sik when you spin them up at 100+ coming out of a corner too.

Here's some Jambo upskirt action....
http://www.the-lobster.org/Jamboree%20-%20J15/Girls/images/DSCF0108.jpg
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Value For money (and Traction) Tyres Wed, 21 September 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GIII's don't go up to large enough sizes.

mmmm think i need extra rubber after that post.
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: Value For money (and Traction) Tyres Wed, 21 September 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oops, sorry. I only read the 225, not the 255.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Value For money (and Traction) Tyres Wed, 21 September 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
impressive Cool
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Value For money (and Traction) Tyres Wed, 21 September 2005 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dunno how long they last sitting in the shed, but the bridgestone RE-01R tyres i have, 215/45/17, are farkin excellent... really really grippy, wet and dry (although they are meant to be a dry tyre only) sidewalls are very solid..

cost is around $300 per tyre in japan, maybe a little more, so not cheap, but fark me they stick.. i only tried to lock the brakes once... i don't think i'll try to do it again until i have a harness Razz

anyway, they are meant to be bridgestones flagship street tyre before going to the cut race ones...
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Value For money (and Traction) Tyres Thu, 22 September 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know also stuckys had a set of tyres that they called the inferno by dunlop, doubt if they are the same tyre as GT is talking about, but they give awsome grip and last about 2 weeks on a road car having the craped kaned out of it and one meet at calder doing burnouts every run.
XmaGe
Regular

November 2004
Re: Value For money (and Traction) Tyres Thu, 22 September 2005 04:25 Go to previous message
potenza G3s smoke up good Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Sway bar for KE55
Next Topic:Thermostat change on 4A-GE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 10:09:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047709941864014 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.