Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mk27m
Regular

November 2003
1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Sun, 18 September 2005 13:57 Go to next message
Jet black 1989 MA70 Targa top, 7m turbo, 5 speed, digital dash, gray leather interior. These models were called "Group A" i believe. For sale in Adelaide.

Edit: It's probably a GT Limited Aero top - read below.

Pic at: http://www.webtechnix.com.au/drew/DSC03648.JPG

Including:
Near new Pioneer DEH-1650 detachable face cd/tuner
4 inch exhaust
17" deep dish alloys
Larger aftermarket turbo and intercooler
Front and rear sway bar
Aftermarket coil over suspension
HKS PFC F-CON aftermarket computer
Electronic turbo timer

Fully Australian complianced under the 15 year rule with Vic rego till november.

136xxx k's on the clock.

I bought this car in feburary and am now selling because i've uncovered a host of problems which i don't have the time/money/patience to fix. Basiclly it started overheating a bit, so suspecting a blown headgasket i took it in to fours n more in Adelaide to get a full report on it.

They couldn't find conclusive evidence of head gasket failure but it is running rough, losing coolent and has brown sludgy crap in the coolent, so it's a "probably".

Other problems include leaky / possibly dodgy power steering pump - the power steering is hard at low rev's, rear cradle cracked near diff mount, front cross member bent, Right hand engine mount sagged, front lower control arm bushes cracking, driveshaft centre bearing moves excessivly, replacement front brake hoses are incorrect type and incorrectly mounted, rear sway bar "D" bushes are worn.

I was quoted between $3000 - $3850 for these repairs, the varible being the availability of secondhand replacement parts for the repairs. I'm sure this could be done a lot cheaper if you were willing to source the parts and capable of doing some of the work yourself.

I paid $13000 for this car and have spent several hundred on a new radio, new battery, and lots of little bits and peices for the interior that were either missing or in poor condition as well as $200 to get it fully checked over.

I'm looking for about $10000 ono for it - this is still pretty good value for a fairly rare car with a heap of mod's. From what i've seen around at the moment you would be paying at least $12000 for one of these straight off the boat uncomplianced and a lot more stock (with potentially as many problems as mine has got).

PM if would like my mobile number for a chat or to arrange to check it out.

Drew.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 07:22]

Send a private message to this user    
mk27m
Regular

November 2003
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Tue, 20 September 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bump!
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Wed, 21 September 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn drew, that sucks. i didn't know it was a turbo-a, they've got a shit hot cam profile and bigger turbo yeah?

anyway, good luck with the sale mate, shame you can't fix it up
Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Wed, 21 September 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I remember when you got the car, I am sorry it didn't work out as you had hoped Sad

Good luck with the sale.
SupRus
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Wed, 21 September 2005 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man,

Don't mean to harm the sale or anything like that I just wanted to ask a few questions. I thought Turbo-As only came out as hardtops and not targas. And is that avatar of your dash? Cos Turbo As only came out with analog dashes. And finally, the mouldings on your car, are they original - cos I believe Turbo As had colour coded mouldings.

I only say this cos I was looking at your price and 10gs for a Turbo A, with problems or not, is a decent price and just wanted to check.
guilty_19
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Wed, 21 September 2005 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
says digi dash in his 1st post

it's got the turbo a vent thing in the front bar, but it might be fake, just read off the vin plate i think and you will find out

those symptoms you describe sound alot like what i had in my 1g

my car to my speculations sat around for a while in japan before i got it, this with different weather conditions, more driving, and prolly from factory cooling system lead my car to overheat

i got my whole system flushed, replaced thermostat, changed the clamps, and some hoses and now she runs fine

cracked hoses are a common problem in 7m's, 1g's, 1j's so my suggestion would be to inspect every cooling hose you have

you can replace all the hoses for around $100 and cutting/fitting isnt hard

other than that it could possibly be something worse

however........good luck with the sale
mk27m
Regular

November 2003
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Thu, 22 September 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not 100% sure what it is - the guy i bought it off thought it was a turbo r with a turbo a front bar but turbo r's only came out with 1j's in them apparently and this has a 7m in it with a 7m listed on the compliance plate.

The model number on the compliance plate is E-MA70-BUPZZ.

I don't believe the mouldings on the car are original - there's another guy in adelaide with an identical car - dan, HKSTRD on toymods, on his car the mouldings, front side indicators, rear side reflectors and the way "toyota supra" is written is different. He seemed to think mine were USDM mouldings - something that was supposedly popular to swap over in japan.

It does have a digital dash, but the one shown in my avatar was a photo of my old ma61.

As for the cooling problems - i dunno i took it in to get checked out and they couldn't say for sure but all the pointers seemd to suggest bhg.

Drew.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 02:52]

Stomps
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Thu, 22 September 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey dude a good way to check if its Turbo-A is check the motor, they dont have a 3000 pipe, instead a larger diameter pipe without anything written on it. also they run off a map sensor and dont run AFM. 10g for a legit turbo a is a f**kn bargain, i am currently going about running a Turbo-A computer and the difference is meant to be huge..
also Turbo-A's run a high flowed Ct-26 and a larger cooler.
post engine bay pic and i will tell you.
Unless someone changed the motor

gl with the sale dude..

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 02:59]

mk27m
Regular

November 2003
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Thu, 22 September 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the input, both the turbo and intercooler are aftermarket anyway, it dosen't have "3000" on the top engine piping but i think it does have an afm....

I also forgot to mention it's running a HKS aftermarket computer - a "HKS PFC F-CON" I don't really know much about this though.

I'll try and get a pic of the engine bay up soon.

Drew.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 03:21]

Stomps
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Thu, 22 September 2005 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its running AFM then its not a turbo-a motor, unless they went to AFM which is f***kn stupid, Razz post an engine pic anyway, would be nice to see..
good luck dude.
mk27m
Regular

November 2003
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Thu, 22 September 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Engine bay pic - dunno how good a photo it is - mobile phone quality Very Happy

I reckon $10k is cheap whether it's turbo a or otherwise, i don't think you'd get a similar car landed for under $12k, and then you've got to compliance it.

Edit: 2 more better quality pics added.

Drew.

Attachment: enginebay.jpg
(Size: 8.02KB, Downloaded 49 time(s))
Attachment: DSC00023.JPG
(Size: 76.08KB, Downloaded 43 time(s))
Attachment: DSC00024.JPG
(Size: 51.60KB, Downloaded 43 time(s))

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 04:05]

Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Thu, 22 September 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mk27m wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 12:21

I'm not 100% sure what it is - the guy i bought it off thought it was a turbo r with a turbo a front bar but turbo r's only came out with 1j's in them apparently and this has a 7m in it with a 7m listed on the compliance plate.

The model number on the compliance plate is E-MA70-BUPZZ.

I don't believe the mouldings on the car are original - there's another guy in adelaide with an identical car - dan, HKSTRD on toymods, on his car the mouldings, front side indicators, rear side reflectors and the way "toyota supra" is written is different. He seemed to think mine were USDM mouldings - something that was supposedly popular to swap over in japan.

It does have a digital dash, but the one shown in my avatar was a photo of my old ma61.

As for the cooling problems - i dunno i took it in to get checked out and they couldn't say for sure but all the pointers seemd to suggest bhg.

Drew.

Dan (HKS TRD + Top bloke) is 100% right about the mouldings, they are USDM ones... u can tell because of the rear side reflectors which are law over there.

Also 110% sure it is not a Turbo R... prev owner didn't know a thing... remember when he was selling it.
guilty_19
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Thu, 22 September 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's interesting cos that model number doesnt show up on
http://www.toyota-supra.info/models/1989_8/ this website

so it could be a turbo A, but i dont think so, although it is a nice ma70
Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Thu, 22 September 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guilty_19 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 14:57

it's interesting cos that model number doesnt show up on
http://www.toyota-supra.info/models/1989_8/ this website

so it could be a turbo A, but i dont think so, although it is a nice ma70

That site is far from perfect. It doesn't show all the models properly... photo's are generic across all MKIII's too.

But you are right that it does not look like a Turbo-A. However it has heaps of aftermarket stuff on it, so even if it was a Turbo A then it would not matter now anyway.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 05:36]

mk27m
Regular

November 2003
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Thu, 22 September 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine does have a "limited" badge on the back - it could be that mine's just another version of the 3.0l gt limited turbo aero top with a different front bar.

I've attached a pic - you can see where someone had attached an "R" badge to try and make it look like a turbo r.

Driftspec: I think the previous owner was trying to pull a fast one - i tried searching for the original for sale thread but i reckon he's got it deleted.

Drew.

Attachment: DSC00025.JPG
(Size: 53.29KB, Downloaded 28 time(s))

Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Thu, 22 September 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mk27m wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 15:32

Mine does have a "limited" badge on the back - it could be that mine's just another version of the 3.0l gt limited turbo aero top with a different front bar.

I've attached a pic - you can see where someone had attached an "R" badge to try and make it look like a turbo r.

Driftspec: I think the previous owner was trying to pull a fast one - i tried searching for the original for sale thread but i reckon he's got it deleted.

Drew.

Hey Drew, yeah yours would be a limited, the badge is not normally there thought it is usually next to the writing on the mouldings (3.0L writing).

Here is the original sales thread
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=58298&rid=4067&S=194d66fcbdb7d13f02e535b 1014cd9bf&pl_view=&start=0#msg_544858
Stomps
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Thu, 22 September 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it aint an R, coz they were called "twinturbo R" for a reason, they had a 1J. Limited is jsut another version of it, the only thing that still confuses me is the frontbar, it looks like the previous owner just chenged it over..

wow, actually i just saw your engine pics... wierd shit, it has an AFM and no map sensor, but it has the Turbo-A "3000 pipe" substitute, and leather interior..
however it has digi dash, that aint turbo-a..

man the car is a mix and match of random shit,
but still a nice 70, Driftspec is right, even if it was a turbo-a with the mods its got it dont matter anyway, good luck with the sale.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 06:29]

Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Thu, 22 September 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stomps wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 15:44

it aint an R, coz they were called "twinturbo R" for a reason, they had a 1J. Limited is jsut another version of it, the only thing that still confuses me is the frontbar, it looks like the previous owner just chenged it over..

Ok lets clear this again Razz

Turbo-A (limited 500 made .. bigger turbo, cams, MAP sensor etc)
Turbo-R (Released nearing end of JZA70 production.. Recaro interior, "R" badge, bilstein Suspension, Analog Dash, No Cruise.... not-a-limited-run).

These facts are undisupted Razz

Well the mouldings on the car are USDM, I would say that when they were changed in Japan Mr Owner would have put the Turbo-A duct one and then put the Turbo R badge on so he could pull all the J-Girls... as you do.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Thu, 22 September 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To help solve the issues in this thread.

Drew: are you sure you read the plate I.D correctly
E-MA70-BUPZZ is very similar to E-MA70-BJPZZ
The latter is a MA70 GT limited Aerotop
And it looks like someone in the past has fitted a Turbo A front bar to it.

What is the condition of the interior???

Good price however *looks at MA70 crossmember and 7MGTE in corner* Evil or Very Mad

*Has a look at bank balance* Sad
Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Thu, 22 September 2005 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think we are guilty of taking over this thread Sad

That said hopefully Drew will now keep his car will stay a MKIII owner Razz
mk27m
Regular

November 2003
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Thu, 22 September 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You were right lambolica on closer inspection it is bjpzz, sorry bout that guys Rolling Eyes

Thanks for finding that original sale thread driftspec.

Just to prevent any confusion too that photo of the interior shows the steering wheel with cruise control functions but it dosen't have cruise - i bought this steering wheel of someone wrecking a car on toymods 'cause the original wheel was a crap aftermarket thing with no horn.

the interior's pretty good, it's got the original factory carpets which are pretty grubby, i replaced the centre console lid, hand brake cover, gearstick cover and the steering wheel(as mentioned) when i got it as they were all pretty dodgy - now they're as near new as you'd get in a 16 year old car. I also got an original rear molded carpet for the rear cargo/spare wheel area because there was only a dodgy aftermarket piece in there that didn't allow the rear seats to fold down properly. One of the inserts above the armrests next to the rear seats was missing when i got it. I tried to get a replacement but noone had the same leather ones, only fabric, so i got a pair of fabric replacements and was going to get them retrimed. You can probably see what i mean from these pics.

I'd like to keep it - but i just can't afford it at the moment and i'm driving a $350 shitbox crown around which sux arse.

Drew.

Attachment: DSC00026.JPG
(Size: 46.59KB, Downloaded 30 time(s))
Attachment: DSC00027.JPG
(Size: 53.04KB, Downloaded 30 time(s))
Attachment: DSC00028.JPG
(Size: 43.36KB, Downloaded 29 time(s))

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 07:19]

Sir_2JZA70
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Thu, 22 September 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definately Turbo A, unless someone has put a Turbo A front air duct on it. (Which is reasonably common in Japan)

Turbo A's were the only version with this air duct from the factory.

Most MK3s dont have that vent behind the license plate, which by the way is in a stupid place. Get a slimline plate.
Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Thu, 22 September 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sir_2JZA70 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 20:00

Definately Turbo A, unless someone has put a Turbo A front air duct on it. (Which is reasonably common in Japan)

Turbo A's were the only version with this air duct from the factory.

Most MK3s dont have that vent behind the license plate, which by the way is in a stupid place. Get a slimline plate.

Dude its a targa top and has a digital dash... sooooo not a Turbo-A Smile.

The duct can be brought from Toyota (new), or even a fibreglass copy can be brought... HKS TRD has an airduct too and his car is not a Turbo-A.. its put on aftermarket.
RA65 Sleeka
Regular

June 2003
Re: 1989 MA70 5spd Targa Turbo Fri, 23 September 2005 08:03 Go to previous message
i know were there is a turbo A in adelaide

nice car mk27m pitty about the h/g. if i wasnt doing the swap im doing now i would pick this up right away, got to love the taga top

good luck with the sale
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TA22 with 4age f/s
Next Topic:F/S:1996 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:56:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070250034332275 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.