Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » AE82 Twinkies - general impressions?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

AE82 Twinkies - general impressions? Thu, 22 September 2005 04:26 Go to next message
Hi guys,

Just wanted to see if I could get some general impressions of what people think of say, 1986-ish AE82 twincam corollas.

Do you find them a decent car to drive? Is there any massive problems with them?

Basically I'm just after driving impressions as talking to rollaboy means i've been filled with all good stuff from him, (wow that sounds sus) but yeah the more opinions the better.

I know there's plenty of owners on here with them, and I thought that your experiences may be able to benefit me in granting me some knowledge about the car!

Thanks in advance,
James Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: AE82 Twinkies - general impressions? Thu, 22 September 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive had a 4ac and a 4age ae82.
they are fine until u start fucking with them, then it seems to fall apart.
my 4age had 260000kms b4 i decided to put a 20v in, and it was still going hard!(for a 1.6ltr)

they are very responsive and with a little rear suspension work they handle very very nicly.

i once saw this thing on tv, it was bob jane sitting in a old jag v12 just before or after a run on bathurst, the reporter asks what car he thought was the best to drive on bathurst(in his opinion), he said his fav was a worked ae82!!! when i heard that i fell off my chair.
(actually now that i think about it it coulda been some other old racing dude.. im not good with names)
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: AE82 Twinkies - general impressions? Thu, 22 September 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very responsive eh... that's what i like to hear Wink

thanks for posting Very Happy
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE82 Twinkies - general impressions? Thu, 22 September 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having owned an AE82 Twinky then converted to GZE I have to say they are a ball to drive. The NA 4AGE is a stupidly fun engine to drive (and bloody good on the fuel as well). Great little cars, if you find one in good nick (which can be hard), they are excellent value for money.

I put a rear sway bar on mine and it made a world of difference to the handling. I put the rest of the suspension package on later and it made the car very solid, even after the GZE was put in.

Cheers
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE82 Twinkies - general impressions? Thu, 22 September 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The daily rig I drive to the shops and on trips and stuff is an AE82 povo edition (got it with 70,000km on it so it was immaculate at the time of purchase).

Had it for about 3 years now, it has been reliable and does it's job. Given this one has never lived near the coast they do seem to rust a little easy (something to watch when shopping for one).

The interior is pretty tacky on the povo model probably a bit more cloth and less vinyl on the SX though. The dashes on these things are as crap as any 80's model car. Angular brittle plastic with so many sections making up the dash. Rattles and squeaks are plentiful (would be worse with stiff suspension too).

They are a good cheap, reliable and efficient car. So if you want something that will get you from A to B with minimal fuss they will do the job.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: AE82 Twinkies - general impressions? Thu, 22 September 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thankyou very much guys for your input!

and my soarer doesnt have an angular brittle dash Razz and it's an 80's car

hehe

but the real question remains... will the twinky beat the corona along the old pac
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE82 Twinkies - general impressions? Thu, 22 September 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

and my soarer doesnt have an angular brittle dash and it's an 80's car

Soarer = luxury cruiser

AE82 = shopping cart

That is why there is a difference Merry-Udo.

Spoontahs also suffer from 80's dash syndrome.

Quote:

but the real question remains... will the twinky beat the corona along the old pac

If the Rona is driven by Rona and the twinky is driven by anyone the twinky will win fo shizzle!
laaag
Regular

June 2005
Re: AE82 Twinkies - general impressions? Thu, 22 September 2005 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
awsome little beasts Razz
ELUSIV
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: AE82 Twinkies - general impressions? Sun, 25 September 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive been driving my 1986 AE82 twinky for quite some years now, will be selling it soon so i can get a new RWD turbo whip of some sort, but its in really good nic, awesome stereo, great on the fuel and as long as u have decent front tyres its a hell of a lot of fun to drive. Ive driven a heap of different cars and the FWD twinkies still can mix it with the best in fun factor.
Being a yota as long as you dont mod them a lot the 4A-GE's are pretty much indestructible, regular services, keep em lubed up well and it will go for a very long time.
They are coming down in price too, i hope i can get close to $5k for mine with all the stereo and wheels, hopefully Crying or Very Sad
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: AE82 Twinkies - general impressions? Sun, 25 September 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ELUSIV wrote on Sun, 25 September 2005 18:49

will be selling it soon so i can get a new RWD turbo whip of some sort,

oh the irony, me with a RWD turbo car and looking at AE82 twinkies...

heheh Laughing

i test drove one on saturday... wicked little car Very Happy
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: AE82 Twinkies - general impressions? Sun, 25 September 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I told you man...

Knew you would like it...
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: AE82 Twinkies - general impressions? Sun, 25 September 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know... I know... Laughing

i guess i had to have the 4AGE experience myself... heh
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: AE82 Twinkies - general impressions? Sun, 25 September 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used to have an AE82 Twin Cam Seca, fucking loved that car. Went like the clappers for a little 86kw crapbox, with a little bit of suspension work i.e. new shocks, king low springs, and a whiteline adjustable rear bar, it handled pretty well too. I really miss that thing sometimes, I still get thoughts of buying another one as a daily thrash around if I could get one dirt cheap.
Jabbott
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: AE82 Twinkies - general impressions? Sun, 25 September 2005 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awww, I saw "Twinkies" in the topic line and was hopeful.

http://asmallvictory.net/archives/TWINKIES-c2-thumb.jpg
Dirty_Sanchez
Regular

January 2004

Re: AE82 Twinkies - general impressions? Sun, 25 September 2005 23:57 Go to previous message
i bought a twinky for my daily driving needs (god damn 1g's and it's fuel hungryness) and i gotta say it's a very nice car to drive.

chews hardly any fuel, goes hard, looks decent and cheap to repair. how could you go wrong? Cool

[Updated on: Sun, 25 September 2005 23:58]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:100kw gti computer question
Next Topic:Getting new rims for my ride need help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 20:23:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064940452575684 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.