Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » fuses and wiring with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
fuses and wiring with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 01:30 Go to next message
i recently purchased a new headunit (pioneer DEH-4650MP, 4x50w peak) and 6x9s (pioneer TS-A6970E, 330w peak, the power values will be relevant later), and installed them myself (first time)
after a couple of minutes of the headunit (i hadnt installed the speakers yet) working fine, it cut out as if it had lost power. so i pulled it out and had a look and found that it had blown a 1 amp fuse on the (yellow) wire leading to the battery. i replaced it, only to have it blow again after a couple of minutes of use again. this time when i pulled it out, i found that some of the old wire connections that i had neglected to check when i installed the headunit were coming apart, so i fixed them up and tried again with another fuse. by this time i had installed the 6x9s, and the fuse blew after only a few seconds
now to the power values i mentioned earlier. the reason, i believe, for this fuse repeatedly blowing is due to the dramatically increased power load, as the previous headunit was 2x25w, and the previous 6x9s were 90w peak

comments and/or other theories?

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 08:23]

Send a private message to this user    
SA63
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: i keep blowing 1 amp fuses with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It sounds like the fuse you are using are too low. Try 10amp fuse plus with the yellow wire(constant power)shouldn't have an inline fuse as it should be connected to the fuse box where a fuse should be there.
I hope that helps.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: i keep blowing 1 amp fuses with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was under the impression that too higher fuse will not break when it's supposed to, and so will not be good for the electronics

so 10 amp fuse made me go Shocked

are you sure?
SA63
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: i keep blowing 1 amp fuses with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well the poineer headunit has a fuse which is a 10amp fuse. Contact an audio place and they can help you out. I'm running a 10amp fuse for the constant power in my fuse box. Probably you have a poor gounding if continually blowing fuses.
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: i keep blowing 1 amp fuses with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got no fuse to my headdeck on the yellow (constant feed) and a 80 amp fuse in the engine bay goin to my amps Very Happy
and ive had no probs so far, cept my sub box rolling around in the boot, yes 60 kilos of box and subs and its sliding around...grr anywho that doesnt matter, my pioneer headeck p5750mp has a built in fuse so i wasnt too worried, just chek your earths

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 02:10]

Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: i keep blowing 1 amp fuses with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check your earth

And most Head Units I have dealt with have a 5 or 10 amp fuse.
bahnugget
Regular

August 2005
Re: i keep blowing 1 amp fuses with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what everyone else said, 1 amp is barely enough power to run a gameboy Razz
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: i keep blowing 1 amp fuses with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used to use 5AMP fuses on my headunit and they would blow all the time too, use a 10AMP and save yourself some trouble...

Also love_ke70 those amp fuses you are using are way to high, even 40AMPs is enough to start a fire in your boot/engine bay, so I'd suggest putting a maximum of 40AMP fuses on your amps, 80AMP fuses are fkn excessive... I'm currently using a 30AMP...

Kev.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 03:07]

skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: i keep blowing 1 amp fuses with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm, so check earth and 10 amp fuse. keep in mind this is an in line fuse, i havent checked the fuse box yet

edit: and it has been working for a little while before it blows

edit 2: just checked the manual, and it says max current consumption is 10 amps. so a 10 amp fuse would suit?

edit 3: the fuse box has a 10 amp fuse under "radio" Confused

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 06:17]

Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: i keep blowing 1 amp fuses with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, when I put the memory wire in my car (constant power regardless of key position), I put the wire directly from my battery to the stereo, with an inline 10amp fuse.

Should work out fine man. If it blows then you definately have a ground problem, just re-wrap all your wire connections in electical tape again.

Kev.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: i keep blowing 1 amp fuses with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, just rang the local car audio and electrical guys (gem audio for coffs people) and they said to have an inline 10amp fuse as well, because the previous headunit only used it for a memory wire, whereas this one uses it as the main power source

all good for now, thanks guys Very Happy
4ag20t
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: i keep blowing 1 amp fuses with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fuses will only blow-
If there is a short ;ie. power going to ground. { which case it will blow almost instantly} or If the current is to great for the fuse, which in your case sounds like the problem , The stereo fuse in your car that is ten amp, will be acc power, for the red wire. You will need to have a ten amp fuse on the yellow wire which is the batt power{constant power}
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: i keep blowing 1 amp fuses with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
red wire has a 6 amp fuse, should that be 10 as well?
edit: red wire also has an almost-golf-ball-sized bulb wrapped in electrical tape on it, any ideas what this is for?

one other question, what is an orange and white wire usually for? radio reception? in that case, what is a plain blue wire for? keeping in mind these are probably from old wiring standards

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 07:22]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: i keep blowing 1 amp fuses with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Orange = Illumination
Blue = trigger output
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: i keep blowing 1 amp fuses with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phrostbyte wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 13:05

even 40AMPs is enough to start a fire in your boot/engine bay, so I'd suggest putting a maximum of 40AMP fuses on your amps, 80AMP fuses are fkn excessive... I'm currently using a 30AMP...

Kev.

interesting - my amp is recommended 60A, and the next model up from mine is recommended 80A. and I'm pretty sure any less could blow.

And yes, head units in general run 10A fuses (mine has a 10A fuse block on the constant power). a 1A fuse would blow when your interior lights come on Razz
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: i keep blowing 1 amp fuses with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 17:37

Blue = trigger output

trigger output?
in any case, which wire goes to the antenna? i couldnt get any reception before the fuse blew

draven wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 17:56

And yes, head units in general run 10A fuses (mine has a 10A fuse block on the constant power). a 1A fuse would blow when your interior lights come on Razz

yeah, i was just confused because my old headunit (tape and radio) ran fine on it Confused

skellator wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 17:18

red wire has a 6 amp fuse, should that be 10 as well?
edit: red wire also has an almost-golf-ball-sized bulb wrapped in electrical tape on it, any ideas what this is for?

anyone for these two questions?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: i keep blowing 1 amp fuses with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have a powered antenna, or electric antenna, the trigger wire does that.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: i keep blowing 1 amp fuses with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 18:23

If you have a powered antenna, or electric antenna, the trigger wire does that.

what if i dont?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: fuses and wiring with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Then you tape up the wire and let it be.

Didn't you get an installation manual with the deck?
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: fuses and wiring with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, but it doesnt mention plain blue or orange/white wires, only blue/white, which is for "auto-antenna relay control" which i obviously didnt realise that it was for an electric antenna Rolling Eyes

anyway, i connected the blue/white and blue wires, which, admiteddely, may not have been a good idea, not knowing what they are for Confused
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: fuses and wiring with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you dont know what they're for, wtf did you connect them to?!
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: fuses and wiring with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 18:59

if you dont know what they're for, wtf did you connect them to?!

i know Rolling Eyes i connected blue to blue/white, i spose because they're close in colours Confused

meh, it's working fine now, except for the radio, i can't get any reception. but im not all that fussed about it, and frankly, i can't be bothered fixing it atm
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: fuses and wiring with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
please don't ever wire up an engine yourself Razz
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: fuses and wiring with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing i think i'd research a bit more before undertaking something that vital!
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: fuses and wiring with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phrostbyte: im stickin with my huge fuse Very Happy i think its recommended and ive seen an amp with a recommended off 100 amp...plus im running 2 amps on the single wire

skellator: are u using an amp?
the trigger output as someone called is a remote switcher, when ur headdeck turns on it tells your amp(s) to turn on...
your antenna, will have something around a 5mm diameter cable running from it, and on the end have a sort of bulbous end of metal that comes to a point and is has like gaps between the bits of metal that make the shape of the end, and these go into a big hole on the back of ur head deck with aerial or somethin written above it, would u like to see my wiring diagram, maybe i could annotate it so u can wire everything up properly? and a photo of what an antenna cable looks like?
something like that anyway, your wiring diagram should tell u all the cables, just have to find the dam things Smile anywho let us know if u need any further help, im pretty good with stereos if i do say so myself
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: fuses and wiring with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Thu, 22 September 2005 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not using an amp
there is a big long plug that i've plugged into the headunit antenna jack, which i didnt actually realise until now Rolling Eyes
i previously thought that was just a wire for a future sub/amp setup, as there's a few stray (thick) wires in the boot that aren't connected to anything

maybe this afternoon ill have a look at it, but ive got to go to my end of year 12 assembly now Very Happy
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: fuses and wiring with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Fri, 23 September 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
r u finishing yr 12 already Shocked ive still got 39 school days to go Sad but whoes counting eh
yeah let us know if you need any help sorting your problems...and btw im jealous of ur 6*9s, are they the yellow ones?
Lukass
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: fuses and wiring with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Fri, 23 September 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blue/white - Power antenna (if applicable)
Blue - Switching for your amp (if applicable)
Orange/white - Illumination, hook it up to your lights so when you turn them on the HU dims the screen for night time.

Sounds like you don't need the first two so unplug them from wherever the hell you plugged them in and tape them up, if you can't be bothered finding switched power from the light switch then just tape that up too.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: fuses and wiring with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Fri, 23 September 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe, yeah, i officially graduated today Very Happy
6x9s are blue
thanks for the help offer, but i really can't be bothered fiddling around with it again now Razz
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: fuses and wiring with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Fri, 23 September 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you sure that yellow wasnt accessories? on all the decks i have wired up:
RED- constant 12V, 10amp fuse
SOMETHING ELSE- accessories wire

if the yellow is the accessories that would explain why it only had a 1 amp fuse, as the deck draws its current through the constant 12v.

chris
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: fuses and wiring with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Sat, 24 September 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, it's working fine now, and the yellow wire from the headunit had a tag on it that said "battery", so i can only assume ive got it right

edit: red wire has a 6 amp inline fuse

[Updated on: Sat, 24 September 2005 01:21]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: fuses and wiring with my new headunit + 6x9s, help please! Sat, 24 September 2005 01:18 Go to previous message
Everything I've worked on has been Yellow constant, Red acc.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:18RGEU pollution gear
Next Topic:manifold change on GZE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:05:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.008105993270874 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.