Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ATMO_BT1
Newcomer

June 2005
Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k? Mon, 19 September 2005 04:16 Go to next message
Hey all, this would be my first post....been signed up for a while, reading a bit. I did a search on this topic but didnt really get the clarity i wanted.

My situation: At the moment i am using an 88 vl commodore as a daily driver, i get around 500km's out of a tank (63L), now with petrol skyrocketing i am spending more money on running my daily than i am on modding the weekender haha Sad

Sooooo im in the market for a rolla, to cut a long question short, to all you guru's, imagine you have 4k to spend, and you purely want the most economical rolla possible, what syle/engine combo would you be looking for? 4ag? 4ac? Carby? Injected? capacity etc?
Obviously manual.

Thanks in advance all, Jack Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k? Mon, 19 September 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could get a 4age AE82 for that money easily. They are a 1.6L NA 4 Cylinder and came stock with 86kw Wink

[Updated on: Mon, 19 September 2005 04:21]

ATMO_BT1
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k? Mon, 19 September 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahk, and you reckon that would have better economy than the carby model?

I would rather a twin cam, iv heard with a manual box they can be pretty fun but my priority is fuel economy.....bonus if the most economical is the 4ag

Stupid question: Are all the twin cammers 1.6L 4ag's? or are there others in the mix? What sizes do the carbies come in?

Thanks for the quick reply, really appreciate it.

Jack
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k? Mon, 19 September 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The carby motors are 1.6L too but they suck in terms of power which means you are gonna drive it alot harder to get the same speed out of it meaning that even if they were more efficient (driven like a granny) you'll probably get better economy with the 4age anyway.
ATMO_BT1
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k? Mon, 19 September 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^ hey, the mans a genius Smile makes sense. Ok cool so re capping here, i am looking for a 1.6L injected, which is the 4ag. Im wanting a stocker so would i be looking at an AE82 or maybe some AE92's might fall into the 4k catagory??
Can you get the 4ag in any 92's apart from the gti or sx? As for my purposes one of those 2 models seems a bit overpriced (If i was after a sporty rolla i could justify it, dont get me wrong).

Jack
ATMO_BT1
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k? Thu, 22 September 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k? Thu, 22 September 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in my opinion youy would be best off to get a injected, just coz they are more efficient, but rather than the 4age go with a 4ac, the c represents a more economical head as far as i am aware, and they would go for alot less than a 4age coz of demand. just my opinion of course Smile
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k? Thu, 22 September 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love ke70 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 14:57

in my opinion youy would be best off to get a injected, just coz they are more efficient, but rather than the 4age go with a 4ac, the c represents a more economical head as far as i am aware, and they would go for alot less than a 4age coz of demand. just my opinion of course Smile

Wrong F is the code for the Narrow head, C just means its Carby, so you tell him to get an injected car over a carby, but then you tell him to get a carby 4ac Rolling Eyes .
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k? Thu, 22 September 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is the 4afe, but i dont think it was used until later model rollas than the AE82? (correct ?? *shrugs*)
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k? Thu, 22 September 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae82 came with a 4ac, or the twin cam 16 came with 4age.

4ac = SOHC + Carby, redline: 5500, maybe 50kw
4age = DOHC + Fuel Injection, redline: 8200, 86kw

burn roughtly the same amount.
the twin cam came with better suspension and disk brakes all around to cope with extra power. they have knock sensors, MAP sensors and all that junk.
but the 4ac is vertually indestructable in stock form. but has no power.

they are both very tough and durable engines.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k? Thu, 22 September 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
illuminatus wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 16:31

the twin cam came with better suspension and disk brakes all around to cope with extra power. they have knock sensors, MAP sensors and all that junk.

I thought the cut out on the 4age was around 7800rpm not 8200rpm.
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k? Thu, 22 September 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 15:00Wrong F is the code for the Narrow head, C just means its Carby, so you tell him to get an injected car over a carby, but then you tell him to get a carby 4ac Rolling Eyes .[/quote]

hmm my bad for getting the wrong letter but c doesnt mean carby...so i stick with my efi suggestion Smile
maybe this will help
G - Wide angle Twin Cam (sportier head)
F - Narrow angle Twin Cam (economical head)
T - Turbocharged
Z - Supercharged
E - Electronic Fuel Injection
U - Emissions control (Japanese)
C - Emissions control (Californian).
my suggestion, something with a fe in it Very Happy
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k? Thu, 22 September 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To Clarify, you would want to look for an AE82 TWIN CAM 16. They have the words "TWINCAM 16" across the rear window for easy identification. The sv21 model Camrys are also renown for their super efficient engines (4afe?). Might not have as much poke but you would have a little bit more space to play with inside.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k? Thu, 22 September 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sv21's have 3sfe's and IMO don't have the same fuel economy as a little rolla. I have a 4k ke70 and it gets slightly better economy than parent sv21. Sv21 is a way better car though.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k? Thu, 22 September 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=love ke70 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 18:18]
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 15:00Wrong F is the code for the Narrow head, C just means its Carby, so you tell him to get an injected car over a carby, but then you tell him to get a carby 4ac Rolling Eyes .[/quote

hmm my bad for getting the wrong letter but c doesnt mean carby...so i stick with my efi suggestion Smile
maybe this will help
T - Turbocharged
Z - Supercharged

The 4ac is a carby engine though

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 11:12]

illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k? Thu, 22 September 2005 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 16:35

it some where around there, ur prob right, i wasnt exactly looking at the rev limiter with the foot all the way to the floor.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k? Thu, 22 September 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=love ke70 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 18:18]
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 15:00Wrong F is the code for the Narrow head, C just means its Carby, so you tell him to get an injected car over a carby, but then you tell him to get a carby 4ac Rolling Eyes .[/quote

maybe this will help
T - Turbocharged
Z - Supercharged

You forget L
moefoe
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k? Sun, 25 September 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
illuminatus wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 08:59

Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 16:35

it some where around there, ur prob right, i wasnt exactly looking at the rev limiter with the foot all the way to the floor.

sorry to be technical but im pretty sure its 7750rpm in the
owners manual.
go the twincam, similar fuel consumption-shitload more fun Very Happy
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k? Sun, 25 September 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'd be better off fuel economy wise with a rolla than a camry, less weight, the best fuel economy i ever got with an sv21 was about 9.5l/100km
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Fuel economy, best rolla under or around $4k? Sun, 25 September 2005 13:40 Go to previous message
C does mean Carby, the emissions controls dont matter here because we're not in california, its the same as the F in the 1UZFE being a "narrow head" when its a quad cam.

Eldar.O.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Getting new rims for my ride need help
Next Topic:4ac Engine Oil
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:31:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056610107421875 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.