Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » brake booster not working...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
brake booster not working... Wed, 21 September 2005 11:24 Go to next message
im just wondering how do i check my brake booster to see if working and what not...basically whats happening is i changed fluids, pads and cleaned up the brake pistons before i got my roadworthy, and ever since then ive had alot more travel than usual and it takes alot of effort to get enough force to get some real braking force. i noticed this especially after driving a different car and realised all i should need is light pressure with my heel on the ground, not full force from my whole leg, hence im wondering whats going on...and yes i did bleed the brakes Smile what can u tell me?
  Send a private message to this user    
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: brake booster not working... Wed, 21 September 2005 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your brake booster is not working then you would expect a really hard pedal that requires a lot of force to pull the car up not a soft pedal. To test your booster operation pump up the brake pedal a good few times until its hard hold the pedal down and then start the car, you should feel the pedal drop a little as the servo kicks in. If this doesnt happen then check your vacuum line from the servo to the inlet manifold.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: brake booster not working... Thu, 22 September 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There should also be a 1 way valve on your booster or inline with the inlet manifold check to see if the operation of that is functional
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: brake booster not working... Thu, 22 September 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i did wat u said...and the pedal did drop..brake booster working..i spose thats a good thing, wat else might it be thats making my braking such an effort?? Confused
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: brake booster not working... Thu, 22 September 2005 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fattony wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 10:19

There should also be a 1 way valve on your booster or inline with the inlet manifold check to see if the operation of that is functional

is that just to see if the booster is working?

any ideas on what it might be?
beige_bandit
Regular

September 2005
Re: brake booster not working... Thu, 22 September 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
perhaps master cylinder?

front or rear seal in cylinder mayb stuffed now

try bleeding system again! if there's more air you've
got problems
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: brake booster not working... Thu, 22 September 2005 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
didnt bother to bleed as the brakes wernt spongey, i jacked up the rear and the drums were binding grrrr gotta get ridda those drums Evil or Very Mad anywho adjusted them back and the brakes seem better but there is still alot of play in the padal which i dont wanna adjust out on the drums coz they self adjst themselves and will prob end up binding them selves coz they are evil, what help can u give me?
TougeVitz
Regular

July 2005
Re: brake booster not working... Thu, 22 September 2005 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i find that when my pads are old, the pedal can go all the way to the floor, and has much less braking force...even at full pressure it wont lock the wheels...maybe the new pads u put in (they are new right?) are thinner than "normal" items...other than that, and the other replies, u sure u bled em completly...with no bubbles left? could be a tiny tiny bubble somewhere creating havoc?
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: brake booster not working... Thu, 22 September 2005 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To see if rear brakes are the problem pull your handbrake on press the brake pedal. If there is a lot less movement then you need to adjust the rear brakes. If no change, pump the pedal a couple of times and see if movement reduces. If it does then you need to bleed your brakes properly. if you bleed the brakes properly - rear passenger, rear driver, front passenger, front driver in that order - and it still has a lot of travel you probably need to change the master cylinder. Don't let the master culinder run dry when you are bleeding the brakes or you'll have to start all over again.
FYI, I know brake mechanics who prefer rear drums because they can adjust the balance between front and rear braking tosuit the car/driver. If yours keep binding then they need to be checked over.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 22:06]

love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: brake booster not working... Fri, 23 September 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah the pads are new, and they are just ever so slightly touching when u spin the fronts when they are off the dround, not enough to hinder there progress tho, so im thinkin that they are all sweet

i think i will bleed them again just incase but i dont think its air, FWIW i always bleed them in the right order Smile

i havnt checked but im sure that with the handbrake on theres less travel
scorpion: u seem to know what ur talkin bout with these drums so my question to u is would u recomend using the little adjuster on the back of the drum, or just using the handbrake cable tensioner? and also when i pulled the hubs off, had to hit them with a hammer and watch the brake dust fall out the drums sprung outwards so i readjusted them using the adjust so the hub just went over without any binding, then i adjusted the handbrake so it actually did something effective, its at about 7 clicks, meant to be 4-8 i dunno if this means anything but what can u suggest to me?
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: brake booster not working... Fri, 23 September 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should make sure you have plenty of slack in the handbrake cable and use the little worm gear adjuster on the back of the drum brakes to make the adjustment. Then take out any excess cable length with the tensioner on the side of the handbrake. Leave it with about 5-7 clicks of movement. If you hold the button in and pull on the handbrake you can get an idea where the handbrake handle will be when the hanbrake startds to bite.

Sometimes you can get a closer adjustment after you have slid the drums back on. If the drums are worn, there will be a lip aroundthe inside edged where the pads don't reach. If you don't have a lip then what you have done sounds about right. Not unusual to have dust come out when you hit the drums with a hammer. I use a long-bristled paint brush to nrush a lot of the excess dust out of the brakes when I clean them up. Also chak for any dampness around the brake slave cylinders as this could indicate a problem inthe making.
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: brake booster not working... Fri, 23 September 2005 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ill adjust them when i get time, but the adjuster is an ass to get to Mad any tricks u know to make it a bit easier with the drum on?

i dont think they are worn, ill double check but im fairly sure they wernt, surprising for a 400 000 km car.

would u say its unusual to get a small mound of dust from each drum when i took it off when the shoes were new and the drum was perfectly clean only 4 month ago, only about 500 km of drivin since then, thats why i was disturbed, but they were binding i know that much coz i couldnt turn the wheel by hand, got the drum off and she went fine.

slave cylinder the thingy at the top of the brakes which pushes the shoes? what the brake fluid comes into, is thats what ur talkin bout they were new 4 months ago too, old ones were leaking like a sieve
well ill try adjusting them again some time and ill let u know how i go, any more help u can give me would be greatly appreciated Smile
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: brake booster not working... Fri, 23 September 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you bed in the new pads?
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: brake booster not working... Sat, 24 September 2005 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do u bed in drums shoes?
they just go on and u adjust them right??
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: brake booster not working... Sat, 24 September 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It says in your first post

Quote:

i changed fluids, pads and cleaned up the brake pistons

If it was brake shoes that you fitted then ignore my first post Wink .
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: brake booster not working... Sat, 24 September 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have a flat-bladed screw driver that you can bend the end on a bit, it'll make it easier to stick through the hole and turn the little wheel by levering on the edge of the hole.

You'll get plenty of brake dust in the first 500km as the shoes and the drums bed in. So no it's not unusual at all.

[Updated on: Sat, 24 September 2005 10:10]

love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: brake booster not working... Sat, 24 September 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brad: i changed front and rears, i did bed the front pads in.

thanx scorpion, would u expect the leading shoe to about half its original thickness, coz thats what its done, they were definately binding, but i think ive fixed that and the brakes are seeming better now, just a bit long, ill try ur idea for making adjustments aeasier, thanx mate
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: brake booster not working... Sat, 24 September 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Normally front shoe will wear more than rear shoe.
Are you sur youve only done 500Km on them for them to be half worn ?
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: brake booster not working... Sat, 24 September 2005 13:25 Go to previous message
yeah man, they were binding tight, like couldnt turn the wheel by hand tight, i know ive done 500 coz ive gone thru 2 tanks and ive only been gettin 250 km to a tank, which even now they arnt bindin my economy dont seem much better Sad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:clutch problems, help
Next Topic:more poke 3k
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 11:36:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061550140380859 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.