Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
1G electrical bits Wed, 21 September 2005 00:22 Go to next message
hey guys, REALLY need a fuel pump controller relay, and resistor. was just talking with the auto eleccy, and he said it's pretty important, so i figured i'd better get one... anyone able to help??? PLEEEEAAASSEEE???
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G electrical bits Wed, 21 September 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its not needed dude.
All it does it reduce the voltage to the fuel pump at idle from 12v to 9v.

It serves no other purpose.
EDIT: That purpose is to make it quieter at idle sorry.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 September 2005 01:01]

hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1G electrical bits Wed, 21 September 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when you say idle quieter, is that engine noise? or fuel pump noise?
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: 1G electrical bits Wed, 21 September 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a fuel pump relay in my ra28, just means i didnt have the fuel pump running on the ignition as it was basicly running constantly.

goto a wreckers and all efi toyotas will have them, cressidas have them in the pasengar side kick panel

[Updated on: Wed, 21 September 2005 02:05]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G electrical bits Wed, 21 September 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EvilJack wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 10:04

i had a fuel pump relay in my ra28, just means i didnt have the fuel pump running on the ignition as it was basicly running constantly.

goto a wreckers and all efi toyotas will have them, cressidas have them in the pasengar side kick panel

No, thats a completely different relay.
The Circuit Opening Relay takes care of that on all EFI Toyota's.
Dbl EDIT: Yes, you were referring to the Circuit Opening Relay, but my first comment stands.

By quieter, I mean the pump.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 September 2005 02:20]

hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1G electrical bits Wed, 21 September 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
got an OC relay, and if that fuel pump controller relay and resistor stops pump noise... i'll take it, HATE that kinda noise Razz

how easy would they be to come across at the wreckers?? so far wreckers have had nothing i'm after
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G electrical bits Wed, 21 September 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
According to the US TSRM, MA70 Supra's used them.
I'm not sure if Aus delivered ones did or not though.

7MGTE
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/d/D_33. gif

7MGE
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/d/D_04. gif
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G electrical bits Wed, 21 September 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats wrong with using a couple relays and a ballast resistor off a coil?

i hard wired my pump with 2 relays. on relay is triggered by start, the other is triggered by the AFM being open (green wire coming out of AFM).

works well, i dont care about the noise really

brett
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G electrical bits Wed, 21 September 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brett_celicacoupe wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 21:34

whats wrong with using a couple relays and a ballast resistor off a coil?

i hard wired my pump with 2 relays. on relay is triggered by start, the other is triggered by the AFM being open (green wire coming out of AFM).

works well, i dont care about the noise really

brett

Why on earth didn't you just use a Circuit Opening Relay? The same thing in a nice package....

MA70's do have fuel pump relays...

But seriously, do you really care about your pump being a tiny bit quieter? I suspect you would be really hard pressed to hear the stock fuel pump in any running car Confused

Sounds like a lot of work for close to zero gain to me, but hey, each to his own...

Cheers
Wilbo
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1G electrical bits Wed, 21 September 2005 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyways... i've found a MA70 wrecking on the north side, where about is this relay and resistor? under the front right wheel arch i was told... anyone back that up? i'd suspect it'd be behind the inner guard though, right?

we had a fuel pump on a while back, an aftermarket electrical item, and the noise from that was horrible... a tack... tack... tack... kinda noise, bloody annoying. the less unwanted noise the better as far as i'm concerned... people have done more for less.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G electrical bits Thu, 22 September 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hickoz_bro wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 01:16

anyways... i've found a MA70 wrecking on the north side, where about is this relay and resistor? under the front right wheel arch i was told... anyone back that up? i'd suspect it'd be behind the inner guard though, right?

The ones I have seen have been in the engine bay, drivers side near the strut tower.

Cheers
Wilbo
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1G electrical bits Thu, 22 September 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well as it happened yatala is on the south side.. no points for my local geography knowledge... anyway, found a GA70 front cut with out the motor, but looked like most of the other bits were still there, getting the whole engine bay loom, and everything that goes on it, plus the brake booster, PLUS 2 good seats from a MA70.. the lot for $400, i'll go back and pick it up tomorrow, couldn't fit it all in the saddle bags on the bike Razz

cheers to those that helped
Sir_2JZA70
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1G electrical bits Thu, 22 September 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bah! You guys are all nuts.

A COR and FPR are both the same damn type of relays, just different uses! AND you dont need either of them unless your a whiny little bitch about the noise.

Ive got a bigger pump in my GA70 and without any sound deadening in the boot I still cant hear it after the engine is started. Ive bypassed the entire stupid stock fuel system with my own wiring, its very easy. The hardest bit was finding the one wire for the pump, but if youve already got this wire then 99% of your problems are gone.

Hickoz_bro, are you the guy I was gonna try helping over the phone from supraforums??

If you still need help give me a call. Im more than happy to help.

Or if you prefer, if you buy a new relay and mounting base Ill drive down there and do it for you for a carton of beer. Razz
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G electrical bits Thu, 22 September 2005 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sir_2JZA70 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 20:48

Bah! You guys are all nuts.

A COR and FPR are both the same damn type of relays, just different uses! AND you dont need either of them unless your a whiny little bitch about the noise.

All well and good if you think that you don't NEEEEEEEED a COR, I don't know about you but in the case that I have an accident and the engine stalls, I wouldn't mind the fuel pump turning off (hole in fuel line + pump staying on Confused).

Sure you can wire it to ignition, but when you could install a simple relay (ala factory), that is a safety feature why wouldn't you?

As for the fuel pump resistor, I agree you are being a little girl Razz

Cheers
Wilbo
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1G electrical bits Thu, 22 September 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All well and good if you think that you don't NEEEEEEEED a FPR, I don't know about you but if i have a choice between extra noise, not matter how audiable, and not having that noise, the solution being a simple relay away... i wouldn't mind the latter.

Sure you can wire it to ignition, but when you could install a simple relay (ala factory), that is a megre luxury why wouldn't you?

anyways i got the parts now! problem solved...

THE END
Sir_2JZA70
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1G electrical bits Thu, 22 September 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, arent you the guy I was talking to before on supraforums??

If so, how can you say the problem is only a simple relay when you didnt know what one was before?

I already said YOU CANT HEAR A STOCK INTANK PUMP WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING!!! WTF does it matter if you can slightly hear it for the 0.5 of a second between ON and START on the key barrel??

The point about a stalled engine or crashed car is a valid one. Unfortunately I dont have the privallege of keeping that feature easily as the 2JZ I put into my car has a completely different computer that handles that sort of thing. I cannot find wiring diagrams for this computer, and I didnt get the computer in my halfcut.

I would be possible to wire up something to give this same feature, but its not something Ive looked into yet.

Im just installing a KILL switch for the moment.

hickoz_bro wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 22:33

All well and good if you think that you don't NEEEEEEEED a FPR, I don't know about you but if i have a choice between extra noise, not matter how audiable, and not having that noise, the solution being a simple relay away... i wouldn't mind the latter.

Sure you can wire it to ignition, but when you could install a simple relay (ala factory), that is a megre luxury why wouldn't you?

anyways i got the parts now! problem solved...

THE END

hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1G electrical bits Thu, 22 September 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sir_2JZA70 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 23:07

Dude, arent you the guy I was talking to before on supraforums??

nup, not on the supra forums...

Sir_2JZA70 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 23:07

I already said YOU CANT HEAR A STOCK INTANK PUMP WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING!!! WTF does it matter if you can slightly hear it for the 0.5 of a second between ON and START on the key barrel??

very well dude, but before you go getting your knickers in a knot, you said the STOCK pump, and i can only presume you mean a MA70 supra as well... i presume the STOCK pump would be an IN TANK item (muffled to start with) too... well i'm NOT running the STOCK pump, and it's NOT in a MA70...

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 13:29]

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G electrical bits Thu, 22 September 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
should be a green wire that earths out when the AFM is open. thats the one i had to search for yesterday. if you are running a COR then you'll preobly need to use this wire. to keep fuel pump on while engine is running.

weird thing is that my pump stays on for 2-3secs after engine shuts off Confused handy though

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 14:01]

Sir_2JZA70
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1G electrical bits Thu, 22 September 2005 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry mate, wrong guy. Just sounded like a similar situation. Razz

Ive got a COR sitting on my shelf I will never use again, a FPR too but I dont know where the FPR is in my car.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1G electrical bits Sun, 25 September 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just booked my car in to get the wiring done, the fella there reckons that the fuel pump controller relay does more then just stop a little noise at idle, it keeps the fuel pump on a "low" setting right up until boost, at which point it lets the fuel pump go to "high". because as he said it's easier to control smaller injectors then it is to control larger injectors, the way i understood it, on the low setting you'll get better efficiency (albeit a minor difference) 'cause there'll be less fuel passing throught the injector rail and so the injectors won't be doing so much work or something to that effect... anyways the point is... that teeny tiny bit of extra noise you get at idle is infact there always, just that it is drowned out by the engine. where as with the relay, the pump is doing less work right up until boost.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G electrical bits Mon, 26 September 2005 03:23 Go to previous message
hickoz_bro wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 09:41

just booked my car in to get the wiring done, the fella there reckons that the fuel pump controller relay does more then just stop a little noise at idle, it keeps the fuel pump on a "low" setting right up until boost, at which point it lets the fuel pump go to "high". because as he said it's easier to control smaller injectors then it is to control larger injectors, the way i understood it, on the low setting you'll get better efficiency (albeit a minor difference) 'cause there'll be less fuel passing throught the injector rail and so the injectors won't be doing so much work or something to that effect... anyways the point is... that teeny tiny bit of extra noise you get at idle is infact there always, just that it is drowned out by the engine. where as with the relay, the pump is doing less work right up until boost.

Sounds like a giant load of BS to me Smile

The fuel rail has a fuel pressure regulator on it (~40psi if i recall, yes it is rising rate tho), running the fuel pump at battery voltage the whole time will just cause extra fuel to be sent back to the tank via the return. If you run the pump at +7v or +13v (as long as the pump is flowing enough at those voltages) you should get a constant pressure in the fuel rail (that is the point of the regulator).

Sure the pump might be running a little faster, but 99.9% of cars run with the fuel pump at a constant (battery) voltage at any rate, so I think working the pump to hard is a null and void argument. The reason Toyota do it is because xA70's were sports 'cruisers' with a bit of an emphasis on luxury...

In the end it is your car, feel free to do what you desire Smile

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4.3 T series diff center
Next Topic:Broken AE92 airbox - Top half
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 22:02:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065889358520508 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.