Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Possible problem with drivetrain?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Possible problem with drivetrain? Thu, 22 September 2005 07:16 Go to next message
Hey all. i will tell the full story in case something is a result of something else last paragraph states the problem if you don't want to read it.

Ok i just got a new clutch installed. When to leave the shop and the car wouldn't start. it was like the starter was having issues with the flywheel. it would just go "click" once. Anyway eventually it kicked over as if nothing was wrong.

I went driving and there is a huge difference, my old clutch must have really been shagged (off topic). Rocked up at a set of lights and thought i would see how she goes. Hammered first, "chirped" second and then backed off.

About 3 mins later or so the car started shaking, sort of bouncing as if driving on rough road, putting in the clutch achieved nothing. After hearing about problems of wheels falling off i pulled over and inspected them, they all seemed fine (rear right was warmer then the rest possible due to an over tightened handbrake as it seemed tighter). anyway after looking around to see no problems i headed home and it was all fine, everything was back to normal. I was about 5 mins from home at the most so it wasn't like i drove far but it didn't play up. Any ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Possible problem with drivetrain? Thu, 22 September 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My car used to rumble when starting to move because of how much strain I've put on the diff since I got the car. It seems to go away, then I'll do a massive drift in the dry and all of a sudden the rumble is back.

I'd suspect youve probably chipped a tooth out of your diff or the unis in your tailshaft have too much play in them.

Kev.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Possible problem with drivetrain? Thu, 22 September 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is this a bad thing? if i drive nice will it be ok or will i drop a diff or something? should i have concerns?
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Possible problem with drivetrain? Thu, 22 September 2005 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone else want to conferm phrostbyte's claim. i would really like to know if i got problems....

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 08:48]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Possible problem with drivetrain? Thu, 22 September 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, somewhere between clutch, unis and diff.
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Possible problem with drivetrain? Thu, 22 September 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it only happens after you've done burnouts or drift or whatever, it should be ok (Just don't do burnouts hahah)...

Your best bet is to just chuck the car in neutral when the car is off and try to turn the front part of the tailshaft and hold the rear part still, if it moves and your rear section doesn't, your unis are screwed and you're up for a new tailshaft. If not, try to turn the whole tailshaft one direction, if it does turn, your diff has slack in it.

Can't think at the moment, long day, hope that's easy enough to understand.

Kev.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Possible problem with drivetrain? Fri, 23 September 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah makes sense i will have a check tomorrow. does anyone know a theory behind why this happens as i would think that a drive train would be under more stress if the wheels were not spinning as the less traction you have the less stress
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Possible problem with drivetrain? Fri, 23 September 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your wheels suddenly gain traction, all the torque that was being applied to your wheels suddenly gets applied to your diff and tailshaft... Hence the reason people kill diffs with burnouts...

Kev.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Possible problem with drivetrain? Sat, 24 September 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah ok. Well i got under it and the unis have no play in play in them. The diff however moved about an 8th - 1/4 of a turn or so, so i guess thats where my problem lies. although i thought there was meant to be a little bit of play.

But now come to think of it i do hear clunks when i change gears sometimes of go from foot off the accel peddle to foot on it. so yeah. thanks for the help phrostbyte
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Possible problem with drivetrain? Sat, 24 September 2005 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1/4 of a turn on the driveshaft is fine.
Mine did that for years.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Possible problem with drivetrain? Sat, 24 September 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so are you saying its nothing to worry about or that it isn't the cause of the problem?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Possible problem with drivetrain? Sat, 24 September 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not the cause of the problem
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Possible problem with drivetrain? Sat, 24 September 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ndgcpr wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 17:16

About 3 mins later or so the car started shaking, sort of bouncing as if driving on rough road, putting in the clutch achieved nothing.

this could suggest the tailshaft is out of balance - and it would normally be speed dependant (e.g. no need to warm up before vibrations happen).

if they unbolted the shaft at the centre bearing rather down at the diff to get it out of the way of the gearbox, they might have rejoined it 90 degree out of whack.

i joined mine up this way (my fault - completely ignored my own markings) and had incredible car shaking at >60k speeds.

or... the bolts joining the shafts and the shaft to the diff are loose (less likely)
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Possible problem with drivetrain? Sat, 24 September 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Sat, 24 September 2005 11:18

1/4 of a turn on the driveshaft is fine.
Mine did that for years.

Shocked
My one only moves a few mm, and thats after 3 months worth of clutch dumps... That much slack would cause a hell of alot of strain on the diff... I'd suggest that that would be your problem, but then again CrUZsida probably has more experience in the matter Confused

Kev.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Possible problem with drivetrain? Sat, 24 September 2005 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was the diff that came with the car, so I'd say it had 180,000km's on the factory oil.
Made a clunk going from D to R, but apart from that it was fine.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Possible problem with drivetrain? Sat, 24 September 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine clucks a little but not too much. Well i went to the goldy today. coming off the highway it shook bad again. touching the rear disks i nearly burnt my finger and the fronts were only warm. but that is all i saw of it. i did the same sort of de accell a few times without trouble. and when i got home the rear disks were more like the front. I just mention this because (in my vast lack of knowledge) i am still hoping it has something to do with my over tightened hand break but hopefully it has worn down.

I still haven't spun it though.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Possible problem with drivetrain? Mon, 26 September 2005 06:23 Go to previous message
ok well i bit the bullet and gave the car a hard drive spinning second where i could, and it was all fine.... haven't had the problem again. The car seemed to hold up and quite liked it all. So i dunno
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE71 LSD help
Next Topic:sprinter fuel system
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 13:16:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067799091339111 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.