Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
supré-mkii
Regular

June 2005
defect notice Thu, 08 September 2005 23:21 Go to next message
a couple of weeks ago i received a major defect notice for having insufficient tread, and having my front bumper off (supposedly there are sharp edges exposed that could chop up pedestrians)

this is the first defect notice i've had, and I don't know anyone else who's had them in the past. the thing is that i'm not completely sure whether I officially have one. I've heard about 'pink stickers' being put on the car, and people peeling them off etc when they've been defected, yet I don't have any pink stickers on my car Smile

i did receive a form though, the police gave me what looks like a real defect form, but it seems as though they gave me the original as well as the carbon copy.

is there any way to check whether my car is actually on some defect list? i wouldn't be surprised if the guy was just giving me a scare instead of actually defecting me (first offense, i was nice to him etc.)

cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: defect notice Fri, 09 September 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you keep the carbon and the real one goes to a blue slip mechanic?

Not too sure ive never been defected Very Happy
supré-mkii
Regular

June 2005
Re: defect notice Thu, 15 September 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i thought that i might be supposed to give one to the inspector guys...

it's a 'major defect notice', so i can't just take it to a friendly mechanic, i have to go through the transport dept. afaik.

could anyone else clear up whether i should have stickers on my car if I really am defected?
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: defect notice Thu, 15 September 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a majro defect which you have is 1 point usualy and a bigger fine than a minor defect , and yes you are defectd if you get a sticker put on ur car ur not allowed to drive it until u get the many defects fixed if you get a sticker id throw the car in the bin.. so yes you have been defectd and will have to show the transport dept or the police whichever laws work down there. but you shouldnt have a sticker

you can check if you have been defected by ringing up dept of transport and asking for your driving offences on your license

[Updated on: Thu, 15 September 2005 05:51]

supré-mkii
Regular

June 2005
Re: defect notice Thu, 15 September 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm, didn't make much sense out of that..remember i don't have a sticker.

i spose i could ring up the transport dept. but i thought if i wasn't listed as being defected they would probably send a cop around to my place to check over the car, considering the strange circumstance. i'm sure that not many people would be ringing up about offenses like this just in case it jogs the prosecutor's memory Razz
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: defect notice Thu, 15 September 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
supré-mkii wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 22:49

hmm, didn't make much sense out of that..remember i don't have a sticker.

i spose i could ring up the transport dept. but i thought if i wasn't listed as being defected they would probably send a cop around to my place to check over the car, considering the strange circumstance. i'm sure that not many people would be ringing up about offenses like this just in case it jogs the prosecutor's memory Razz

You have been defected, but just ring up Transport authorites and ask if you have any defects that need to be cleared up. My mate just recently got defected (no sticker), left it for a while (several weeks after the deadline to get the defects cleared) and called the Transport authorities (RTA) and they said he didnt have any defects to be cleared, so I guess you could be lucky like him. If not I would imagine you would have to go to an authorised mechanic to get the defects cleared.

Good Luck.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: defect notice Fri, 16 September 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what i meant by all that shit is most defects you wont get a sticker unless its deemed dangerous or you got shitloads of defects etc..
supré-mkii
Regular

June 2005
Re: defect notice Wed, 21 September 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
called up the transport dept. today because my defect was due to be fixed, and got some interesting info.

turns out my car was actually defected, and i have 14 days after the due date (today) to fix the problems before my car gets 'suspended' or something, meaning that i'm not allowed to drive my car. which is not really much of a worry to me, as i'm already not allowed to drive it because it's a major defect because of the lack of tread. if i don't fix the problems in 14 days, my car is suspended indefinitely until i fix the problems.

the lady said i'll get a heap of scary letters in the mail warning me about how much time i have left to rectify the problems, but said not to worry. i'm currently waiting for new wheels to arrive from america, so i'm not going to bother buying new tyres for the wheels on my car atm Smile

it's going to be a nightmare when the actual inspection comes though, i've heard they don't like stripped interiors...i'll probably even have trouble with the width of my steering wheel (330mm) :/
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: defect notice Wed, 21 September 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not 100% sure but i think if u dont get the defect cleared within the time, i think u then have to take it over the pits to get the defect cleared...u DO NOT...ever...EVER...listen to me...EVER!!! want to take a car over the pits. my uncle had a falcon at one stage he got defected on something stupid, other than that there was nothing him, or the dude that gave him his blue slip could see wrong with the car....anyway long story short...the car end up having going over the pits for one reason or another...and it came back with a list of stuff tha needed to be fixed exceding $9000 in work before they would let it back on the road....
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: defect notice Wed, 21 September 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
like i said im not sure if thats the case or not, but find out..if it is..it will be more than worth ur while to go to a tyre place and have thm throw some second hand still legal tyres they have sitting around on there for $30 each or so just to save u having to go over the pits
filthman
Regular

May 2004
Re: defect notice Thu, 22 September 2005 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure if the laws regarding this are aimilar in Vic to Tassie, but I can tell you in Vic:

1: If you are given the copy of the notice your vehicle is defected.

2: The police DO NOT have to put the sticker on - its their discretion. The sticker doesn't defferenciate between a major and minor notice.

3: (In Vic) the maximum time by law to repair the vehicle while driving it is 7 days. This means that if you haven't cleared the notice in the 7 days, then you must tow the vehicle.

4: You have 28 days to clear the notice, after which time your suspension WILL BE suspended.

5: The is no fine attached to the defect notice. However if your car is really bad (usually = belts visible on tyres, etc) then they may give you a fine for using an unsafe vehicle.

6. You can only use the vehicle (during the 7 days) for the purpose of getting it repaired. If caught cruising on a Saturday night you can be fined for using vehicle in breach of minor / major defect notice.

7. Its the police discretion as to if you have to get a R.W.C.
This is usually dictated by the general condition and age of the vehicle, and weather the driver is a smart ass.

8. VicRoads are the only authorised body who can remove the sticker from the screen. A penalty applies if you remove it yourself.

Hope that helps. Just remember this applies to Victoria.
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: defect notice Fri, 23 September 2005 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can apply very easily for an extension on the defect though and grab another week or 2
filthman
Regular

May 2004
Re: defect notice Fri, 23 September 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe in NSW or other states, but definitely NOT in Victoria.
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: defect notice Fri, 23 September 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nar you cant do it in nsw, or atleast the arse of a highway didnt give me that grace. i got done on a sunday of a long weekend, and they gave me to tuesday to get my car raised by an inch, get a new exhaust cause the one i had was too low, replace my cam gear cover and remove my blow-off valve plus get 4 new tyres.
rang them up for an extention, they said if they caught me on the road with my car after tuesday it would be a 1500 on the spot fine.
Cunts.
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: defect notice Fri, 23 September 2005 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i went in and saw them, and said i was gettin my car engineered but closet time was in week and half so i needed extension, they rang the place and they confirmed my bookin, it was a kinda phoney bookin to give me more time and it worked they gave me more time, then i just canclled the booking i made and gave me extra week and bit Cool
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: defect notice Fri, 23 September 2005 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
point 3 is wrong, its under permit conditions after the 7 days in victoria. Point 6 is also wrong, i was told i could drive the car whenever i wanted aslong as i changed tyres, i could even drive car in wet if i changed tyres. I got defected a few months back for having all 4 tyres bald (which was in correct the back tyres were perfectly legal (just) and the front tyres, well they were down on the insides). I copped a 170$ fine for "driving a car that failed to comply with rwc requirements", although i didn't need a RWC just had to put legal tyres on. Borrow a mates rims and went into clear it to find out that there was no record of it on the system.

filthman wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 04:09

I'm not sure if the laws regarding this are aimilar in Vic to Tassie, but I can tell you in Vic:

1: If you are given the copy of the notice your vehicle is defected.

2: The police DO NOT have to put the sticker on - its their discretion. The sticker doesn't defferenciate between a major and minor notice.

3: (In Vic) the maximum time by law to repair the vehicle while driving it is 7 days. This means that if you haven't cleared the notice in the 7 days, then you must tow the vehicle.

4: You have 28 days to clear the notice, after which time your suspension WILL BE suspended.

5: The is no fine attached to the defect notice. However if your car is really bad (usually = belts visible on tyres, etc) then they may give you a fine for using an unsafe vehicle.

6. You can only use the vehicle (during the 7 days) for the purpose of getting it repaired. If caught cruising on a Saturday night you can be fined for using vehicle in breach of minor / major defect notice.

7. Its the police discretion as to if you have to get a R.W.C.
This is usually dictated by the general condition and age of the vehicle, and weather the driver is a smart ass.

8. VicRoads are the only authorised body who can remove the sticker from the screen. A penalty applies if you remove it yourself.

Hope that helps. Just remember this applies to Victoria.

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: defect notice Fri, 23 September 2005 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why don't you just borrow rims from... ANYONE... and go and clear it up, then you son't have to worry, and don't have to get extensions while waiting for new wheels...

just do it...
filthman
Regular

May 2004
Re: defect notice Fri, 23 September 2005 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clown wrote on Sat, 24 September 2005 04:22

point 3 is wrong, its under permit conditions after the 7 days in victoria. Point 6 is also wrong, i was told i could drive the car whenever i wanted aslong as i changed tyres, i could even drive car in wet if i changed tyres. I got defected a few months back for having all 4 tyres bald (which was in correct the back tyres were perfectly legal (just) and the front tyres, well they were down on the insides). I copped a 170$ fine for "driving a car that failed to comply with rwc requirements", although i didn't need a RWC just had to put legal tyres on. Borrow a mates rims and went into clear it to find out that there was no record of it on the system.

I can assure you that you were incorrectly informed. Unfortunately not all members have the same standards when conducting Road Worth checks. Who checked your vehicle, was it the local van or a Traffic Management Unit? People on the van aren't usually too strict on NOR's because its not there bread and butter.
7 days is the maximum time BY LAW.
It sounds like your were just issued with a formal warning (which is a very rare thing, so consider yourself lucky).

If you don't believe me then contact Vehicle Safety Testing School, located at 20 Dawson Street, Brunswick, or your local Traffic Management Unit (the unit that has the SS's and XR8's).

Remember this is for Victoria - other states probably vary.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: defect notice Sat, 24 September 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was done by local TMU. Was a major defect with a fine attached, cop took photo's of my car while he was at it aswell. If im wrong why did a member of ehtical standards say the same thing?
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: defect notice Sat, 24 September 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wa you get 14 days to clear a defect, after that, i think you have a further 14 days before the vechicles licence is cancelled and the remaining credit is sent by cheque to you.

im PRETTY sure its 14, its not 7 for sure.

Eldar.O.
filthman
Regular

May 2004
Re: defect notice Sat, 24 September 2005 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eldar O - please remember that defect law is a state law and not national, therefore it varies from state to state. 7 days in Vic, it may very well be in 14 days in WA.

Clown - I didn't realise I was dealing with and expert in defect notices. And obviously Ethical Standards are experts in defects because they are out there issuing them all the time.

I didn't post here to get in an arguement with you. You've been issued with a defect notice and that obviously makes you and expert. There was a question asked, and due to the fact that I have a good amount of knowledge of this issue in Victoria, and I'm sure you'll disagree with that, and I will say that I don't know the regulations for defect notices in other states, I thought I may be of help trying to clear some things up.

[Updated on: Sat, 24 September 2005 23:00]

Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: defect notice Sun, 25 September 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you knew who the guy was then you'd understand why i posted it the way i did. I never claimed to be an expert im just stating what i was told was the truth by someone in a position to tell me the truth Rolling Eyes
filthman
Regular

May 2004
Re: defect notice Sun, 25 September 2005 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wont hold it against you if I pull you over then. Laughing
supré-mkii
Regular

June 2005
Re: defect notice Mon, 26 September 2005 04:04 Go to previous message
oldcorollas wrote on Sat, 24 September 2005 05:12

why don't you just borrow rims from... ANYONE... and go and clear it up, then you son't have to worry, and don't have to get extensions while waiting for new wheels...

just do it...

i'm planning on it, as i probably won't be able to afford new tyres for my wheels when they arrive anyway. but as for the other thing i'm defected for (exposed 'sharp' edges), i'm hopefully going to get the front bumper back on this w/e.

regardless, i have to go to the 'pits'. even the lady i spoke to at the transport dept. said that was a bit harsh. so i'm guessing that i'm in for a rough time when they see the rest of the car; i.e. they won't just check the things i've been defected for, and i'll probably go through hell like -=DV=-'s uncle :/

thanks everyone else for the info, but it doesn't seem like i'm any better off getting it fixed before due time or not.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what model celica??
Next Topic:how much would u pay for complete ke30/55 brakes
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 00:01:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066828727722168 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.