Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Wed, 21 September 2005 17:39 Go to next message
I just picked up an AE-86 which was advertised here and on firesport. Good price to suit limited budget and was promised to be good. Picked it up last night, handled the price changes and all that. Fair enough...

5 minutes after driving it, a center bearing went. Started making this loud rattling which got so loud i pulled over and got the previous owner, who assured me it's just a minor thing that need attention and can be fixed. Fair enough, my bad luck i accepted it and dealt with it.

NExt thing, the car kept stalling. figured out how to use lumpier cams even though i was told the car wouldn't stall or do anything like that when i was looking at the car. Okay fair enough, i dealt with it and life goes on.

As i drove on and stopped for 10 minutes, then going again for 10 minutes at 40 km.h (for the distance of a 1 hour drive under normal speeds), to prevent further damage. i dealt with the situation, fair enough. We'll make it home and sort it out in the morning.

Next thing the car died, ignition went completely out and wouldn't start on a tight stret going uphill. Cars behind were honking as the other side of the road had an opening lane. My passenger rushed out to push the car so as not to hold up traffic. Uphill...

Ignition fuse blew. What kind of setup has a 40A amplifier wire fuse (2 of them) to regulate alternator and ignition current from the battery? Fair enough. 1 hour later after finding a fuse at 12.30 AM (i managed to find a fuse for an amplifier wire at 12.30 AM, can anyone top that?), i plugged the fuse in. Next thing, the car wouldn't turn over. Just kept cranking and cranking. Fuel pump woundn't work.

-------------------------------------------------- ---------------

Time to travel 1 hour to see a sprinter with 4A-GZE with heaps of goodies (forged pistons, 255 cams, Haltech ECU, the works).. negligable (in getting an investment).

Dealing with one problem after another and accepting that a lot of work needs to be done to begin with without the problems... heartache..

Realizing the truth of what we've just bought.. pain, anguish and stress.

Getting laughed at by good samaritans who've helped me to push the car up the hill so i won't block traffic, for having a supercharged engine that cuts out at 5000 RPM and at that moment, won't even start.... priceless.

For all your toyota needs, there's mechanics, wreckers and tuners. For a way to getting fucked, buy my car.
  Send a private message to this user    
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Wed, 21 September 2005 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No offence to the previous owner or any AE-86 owners and drivers. This was a one off experience.

Just before the ignition went, the cluster light came on (the common problem with AE-86 headlight switches).

old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Wed, 21 September 2005 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like you got shafted. Whoever sold it to you knows all about the problems dont believe their lies!
lumpy cams? smells like bs
Dorio86
Regular

August 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Wed, 21 September 2005 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That sucks, let us no what happens next, he should pay you the money back or at least get you the car fixed.

Laughing at your signature.
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Wed, 21 September 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the car did have 255 degree cams with 10mm lift. I still haven't taken the engine and car apart.

The other day, last week.. my mate bought another sprinter with a RWC. Standard 4A-C engine in it, everything matched up. On the day the RWC expired (the previous owner bought it and within 30 days sold the car to my mate), we checked under, and found 3 major faults and another 2 minor ones. This included distributor seals completely buggered, rear differential seal leaking really badly too, and all bushes on the rear cracked or brittle.

now the big question is what am i going to do with this sprinter.. where do i start..??

TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Wed, 21 September 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First thing first.

1. the car completely broke down (after i found the fuse and couldn't get it started, i'll say 1 am before i gave up). Pushed it to somewhere a bit more "secure" than where it was (in box hill, victoria, nowhere is safe). We're getting it towed this morning 11 am, that's when it is earliest from a towtruck company.

2. Once the car reaches the garage, i'm going to strip the engine bay and trace all the loose wires around and find out why the ignition system is using amp fuses to run, and why there's so many little wires all over the front and side. Will take out all the sound system (3 amps,2 amp power cables etc etc..) and rewire the car up properly.

3. I don't know what to do with the Haltech ECU which is preventing the car from starting now. Hopefully it is compatible with the LAUNCH or CARMATE Diagnostic scanners.

From then on, we have 2 options. These 2 options are drastic measures which is my secret. But since we are in a very interesting situation i'll keep this post updated until everything is settled.

Thanks for your interest.. cheers~
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What sort of haltech is it?
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like a shafting, but my opinion is that most non-factory car wiring is ULTRA dodgy and so ripping it all out and rewiring it is a good move. Firstly you know it's done properly (soldered, heat shrunk etc etc) and secondly you know how everything hooks up so that if it ever dies you can fix it. Wiring aftermarket management is easy if you have the manual for it and half an idea about how engines work.

Plus you'll always find with a "new" car there are some niggly issues that need sorting out.

Hopefully the engine is still good, but the rest sounds reasonably easily fixed.

Hen

Also, check the cams, if it is running 10mm lift then it should have spat out shims or have a modified vavletrain (according to some website I may once have read)
Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dorio86 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 06:34

That sucks, let us no what happens next, he should pay you the money back or at least get you the car fixed.

Bullshit - Caveat emptor!
Julz01
Regular

December 2004
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats some bad luck mate, I saw this car and thought that it sound to good to be true for the price. I was actually considering selling my stock one to get it, lucky I didnt.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buyer beware.
did you look over it before you bought it? its a bit naieve to believe someone selling you a car that any problem is minor. if its so minor theyd fix before selling.

and if your mate bought a car with a couple of leaking seals and thats thw worst of it, you got off pretty good. i dont know whats with people buying 20 year old cars and expecting new ones.
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Car was towed to the mechanics and we've gone over it from front to back. Will put it up on the hoist tomorrow.

A few notes we've made is that

1. The front end of the car is completely buggered because there are too many wires and relays all over the front, some just hanging by a thread onto a bolt (negative wires), other wires and stuff just shouldn't be there. First step would then be to trace all these wires and arrange it nicely.

2. ECU definitely needs to be remapped because it runs extra rich even at idle, too much even for a GZE. On top of that we'll change the spark plugs and do both an ECU mapping and a mechanical tune to set idle, timing, mix etc...

3. DIff center is the priority at this stage, the first thing to be fixed. I'll do the wiring myself bit by bit whenever i have time. Just a matter of tracing and arranging the wires. Also definitely we won't have the ignition to be running with an amp fuse.

One thing we found out is the fuel pump and the amps are running with the same wire, so definitely this setup will have to go. We should've asked for a RWC but given the limited time, we just took it as is and thought it wouldn't be a big deal. Man were we taken for a ride.

it's too bad that we bought a car that couldn't even take us home but hey, it's life, shit happens and we deal with it. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone but it's a good experience.
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when we bought it we were under the impression that everything was alright, because it is from one enthutiast to another. We pressed down the price for our security because i predicted this sort of nonsense would happen. In the end we didn't get the raw deal in a sense we paid a bit more than what we'd have liked. It's a lesson learned and we won't be in this position in the future.

With my mate's sprinter with the 4A-C.. if a garage provides a RWC, shouldn't it mean at least no oil leaks? We could've taken the matter to court because the RWC gurantees the car is good but under close inspection we found issues with the authenticity of the RWC. Dings and dents, cracks in the dash all that is reasonable but mechanically we should be covered at least by the RWC, even if the car is 35 yrs old.. (my mate has a 1974 mazda as well just picked up early this year ). End of the day it's a second hand car so we know the risks. If we want perfect, we'll go to the showroom, and that's the truth of anyone wanting perfection.

TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thats some bad luck mate, I saw this car and thought that it sound to good to be true for the price. I was actually considering selling my stock one to get it, lucky I didnt.

End of the day it's still worth it. IF you look at it this way, you could pick up a normal sprinter with a normal 88KW 4A-GE and it'd be around 5 to 6 grand. Then you could pick up this one for the same price with a stronger engine but bit of hassle and needs a bit of attention.

At the end of it the universe is balanced and you get what you pay for... In my opinion, the previous owner has been really helpful so i guess i don't feel shafted, just unlucky this shit happened in my hand.
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 10:04

i don't know. I might rip it out when i remap it, otherwise it's one of those 1600 bucks fully programmable thing with Haltech loom as well.
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"I'm a small asian dude driving an AE-86 Sprinter. What does that tell you?"

And what is it meant to tell us?
nath437
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you test drive/have a look under the hood befor you bought?

i'll 2nd that with the boxhill comment i go to tafe there and i get parranoid about leaving my car there Confused although insureance money would be nice.... Very Happy you might've seen me rawring round there in my red st-162...
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Welcome to the AE86 club... be prepaired for the heartache, hassle and the mystery of the ever dissappearing cash. Laughing

No it sounds like part shafting/part bad luck. There are vary few sprinters out there that are 100% and it just looks like it all went sour on one night for you. Put it up on stands and look over it completely then make a list of whats urgent and serious that needs fixing to get it on the road and relaible. Do that, then fix the rest as you go.... Dont keep her stationary for too long though.. its known that once you starting combing over it.. you'll eventually find yourself without driving for months...
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blown86 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 11:34

as long as false or bait advertising laws arent breached which by the sounds of it have been ...
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcome to the life of owning an ae86

ur no different from the rest of us

deal with it

/end bitter statement
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks everyone for your comments, support and opinions.

The previous owner has left tonight. I can get the car Road worthied, apparantly his mechanic is very leanient about it. However in my opinion, RWC is just a paper to some people. I'd like to keep things legal but if he can overlook the excessive loose wiring, rough idle and emission issue i'll smile, take the paper and if anything goes wrong, HEY I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE!! hehehe

I'm hoping i don't have to spend too much on the car. After all, the suspension is done very nicely, no oversteer and no under steer (after a few minor adjustments). Once the diff issue is fixed i'll bring it for a spin or two and readjust it accordingly.

I'm currently looking for any place in Victoria which can remap Haltech ECUs for a modified 4A-GZE motor. In my head i roughly know what i'm after but i'm not sure because of the lower comp, cams etc...

Any useful information would be greatly appreciated, and please don't send me to over charging and under age young punks who know less than me but pretend to be gods of tuning. I'd just like to see the engine run 90% of it's maximum capability, with good reliability and no dramas if i feel like taking it to the milk bar down the corner to buy ciggies.

In response to the questions, NO i didn't drive it when we inspected. I only test drive econo boxes, not high-performance machines. It's my principle to trust the owner as one enthutiast to another. WHen i sell my own high powered machines, serious buyers will not bother for a test drive. Test pilots will, in which case they can't even leave the street without stalling.
Look under the bonnet i did, and i did see the mess. But in the day the little bush became a jungle. U know how streets seem different during day and night?

Oh yea, the night the car broke down in box hill, we took turns like securitu guards on shift to guard that shit all night. 3 amps, subbie, gauges, switches.. and that's just the interior.

TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no_tofu_speed wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 18:41

not meant to tell you anything really. it's just a question.

However most small asian guys who drive sprinters want 1 thing. That is the skill to drift.

The guy we bought this sprinter from is quite good with it. I was very impressed with his skill and also the fact he didn't need LSD to lock up the wheels for a drift, and was in total control.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You bought the car knowing it had been thrashed and also witnessed him doing so yet you still bought it, i think someone was just asking for trouble.
Eye Spin Freak Sleep Sleep Sleep Nope
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD_07 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 16:20

Skip wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 10:04

i don't know. I might rip it out when i remap it, otherwise it's one of those 1600 bucks fully programmable thing with Haltech loom as well.

Just find the computer.

Get the software, plug it into a computer and this will start your problem solving.
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 09:23

You bought the car knowing it had been thrashed and also witnessed him doing so yet you still bought it, i think someone was just asking for trouble.

True. But with buying any second hand car, there's always a risk involved. Like i said u'll never find a perfect second hand. Like you never tested the limit of your car, and at some stage hope to sell it?

what happened was an experience. It was actually funny and we learned a lot from it but you won't see us in this position again.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 07:23

What is wrong with that? probably 80% of the cars on this forum are "thrashed" regularly, the car should be built to take the punishment Smile. I take the landy out regularly and beat up on the old girl offroad and onroad, isn't that why I built it to have fun??????????????
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes but would you do it in front of the person you are trying to sell it and, and if you were buying the car would you buy it after seeing what they did with you in the car let alone when your not.
Yes i have taken my car to its limits but i doubt i'll be doing it infront of a potential buyer.
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Thu, 22 September 2005 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[/quote]

Just find the computer.

Get the software, plug it into a computer and this will start your problem solving.
[/quote]

today we'll get that diff noise fixed. Hopefully it's just a bearing or something minor.

I'm still looking around for any good and reliable tune shops to have the mapping done. My 10 litre can of BP ultimate is ready.
Otherwise i'm waiting on the haltech Interface CD to arrive, and i have to find a serial cable as well to fit it.

Is that serial plug coming out from the ECU the same as any serial port from a computer?
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Fri, 23 September 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 09:54

Yes but would you do it in front of the person you are trying to sell it and, and if you were buying the car would you buy it after seeing what they did with you in the car let alone when your not.
Yes i have taken my car to its limits but i doubt i'll be doing it infront of a potential buyer.

Erm.. how would i explain this..

A mate of mine has this Skyline R34 tuned by Top Secret from Japan. It's set up for track / drift duties with over 50,000 bucks on suspension, engine upgrades etc... and it's not your normal everyday skyline toy. Now that it's for sale, potential buyers aren't allowed test drives on the basis serious buyers won't need a test drive. However, a demonstration is in order to prove the car's worth in terms of balance and control, power etc... I once sold an FTO the same way, by showing it to someone i thought was serious about it. Demonstrated one launch and one hard corner, to prove the car isn't a dud. I've also told him i've dragged if a few times legally and illegally, and it's seen track duties at least once. Maintenance records show i gave the ride my love, and it proved itself by sounding sweet and performing. I sold it straight away. If it was other young test pilots just after a drive, i'd just rush the meeting and not bothered.

really depends on the buyer, and in this case it's my run of luck and coincedence. I'm not regretting the buy because i know what i got myself into. Didn't feel so comfortable becaust it was a rushed buy (owner in a hurry to leave). But i think it's quite an experience everything happend at once, 5 minutes after taking delivery.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Fri, 23 September 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i understand where ur coming from, my mate was looking to buy a calai turbo from a 50+ yr old guy. my mate had to drive for 2hrs, 3 times to jus get a ride in the car b4 the seller thought he was genuine. but i geuss cause my mate was 17 at the time, the guy deffinetly thought he was jus sum test pilot.

but where u loose me is, why didnt u get the guy to take u for a quick strap to prove this car to u? or was it jus that cheap???
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Fri, 23 September 2005 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no_tofu_speed wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 16:41

Perhaps some lady called him small.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Fri, 23 September 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 07:54

Usually I let the person take the car out for a burn themselves, provided them seem genuine.

With my last car the guy wanted me to drive it, I showed him exactly what it could do (in your term "to the limits") and he bought it straight away.

Id be more scared of buying a high performance car if the owner was sketchy about showing me the limits (with the rules of course Razz)

TRD_07: You can download all the haltech software from their website. Yes the serial plud is the same.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Fri, 23 September 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Wouldn't want to give them a coronary Wink

I like this thread, people are smrt.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Fri, 23 September 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 12:44

Quote:

Wouldn't want to give them a coronary Wink

I like this thread, people are smrt.

Laughing Aren't you are smrt person today with your plays on words.
There is also a difference between showing the limits ie acceleration and drifting on the street, a quick blat in a straight line is far safer than hanging it sideways around a bend, there is far less room for error.

[Updated on: Fri, 23 September 2005 02:51]

Daemon
Regular

May 2004
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Fri, 23 September 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I had a very simular thing happen to me with a AE82 Corolla I brought from another NZ Toyota Club member (Toyspeed). (my first car I brought too)

I trusted that the car would be in good working order, test drove it, went alright, money changed hands etc etc. Drove it for three days, everything worked fine for a 20 year old, some problems but I didnt let that get me down. It all came to an end 4th day, it started to blow smoke every where, wouldnt idle, over heated, couldnt do over 100 as car would speed wooble violently. Im pretty sure the head gasget was the main problem and I even planned on fixing it and spent many hours on it, washing it, waxing it, fixing the seats but I over heated it to much one day and the temp gauge went passed the red and had smoke coming out of the bonnet.

There was also five or six other smaller problems, alternator, radio, wheel alignment (shocking bad) that I haddnt got to fixing yet.

Needless to say I learnt my lesson and I totaly understand why you have kept this car, Good Luck.

Ive also got another story behind a 3SGTE KE70 built in a backyard but it all ended well and a very tough was the end result and even made $4,000 on the price he got it for.

[Updated on: Fri, 23 September 2005 03:21]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Fri, 23 September 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a car with decent handling WON'T be sideways around a bend Razz
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Fri, 23 September 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

a car with decent handling WON'T be sideways around a bend

Pfff you is obviously watching the wrong cartoons mang Wink
.wolfwood
Regular

February 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Fri, 23 September 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh same sorta shit happened to me when i got my forst sprinter, looked at it, drove it. all seamed good. the day i went to pick it up the car was running and i was like WTF. any how paid for it and drove down the road.

had no fuel so i went to get some. turned car of went to start the car again and it wouldnt start. looked upder the bonnet and smoke was coming out and some wires were burning so i turn the ignition off and had to get towed home.

cost me 4grand to get a custom loom made and a motec installed.

meh this shit happens.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Fri, 23 September 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 13:19

Quote:

a car with decent handling WON'T be sideways around a bend

Pfff you is obviously watching the wrong cartoons mang Wink

Yo, i don't need cartoons mang, i LIVE the life Razz

ahhh... anyway Razz i gotta take pics of the touge on the way to Niseko.... those pissy aussie dorito boys will cream themselves Razz

but yeah, cars suck in general, and shit will break. sometimes it hapens at the most unlikely moments, but to happen immediately after buying.. well... sucks... especially if ti is something major (then again, if it drives ok and then something major happens a few days later, how could the seller have possibly known it would blow up in a couple of days too?.. unless it had no oil or water etc etc)
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Fri, 23 September 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, cars suck, only buy them with rwc's, this usually weeds out the lemons. live and learn Sad
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Fri, 23 September 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWC in some way weeds out the lemons.

but you have to consider that a car with blown head gasket, and a slipping clutch can still get RWC>
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Sat, 24 September 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The end of the day i've made a couple of observations. THis is the plan for now.

1. the diff is completely screwed, so i'll need it rebuilt or a second hand diff put in.

Can the standard sprinter Diff handle a modded 4A-GZE? (making maybe 150 KW at the fly?

2. Ignition loom and all these wires need to be done again. WIll buy a big battery contact point and proper wire ends and secured properly. This means tracing each wire and finding out what all the spaghetti does.

3. Remap the ECU when the car is at least safe to drive.

If anyone would like to take a look at this car for fun or anything plesae leave me a post and i'm free to meet up for a drink to discuss how to save this ride and any suggestions.

TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Sat, 24 September 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokey228 wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 10:44

but where u loose me is, why didnt u get the guy to take u for a quick strap to prove this car to u? or was it jus that cheap???

The guy did give us a ride in it before we bought it. We went drifing etc... (i don't know how he did it with low octane and cutting of at 4500 RPM though), but we did drift a bit. GOing straight up, suddenly he spun the car into a street on the right, at the end of it was facing out. (180 + 90 degrees)

What impressed me was his suspension setup. And also the fact he could control the car, even though there was cam overlap etc...

i guess it was just my bad luck the diff went 5 minutes after i just started driving it.

olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Sat, 24 September 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

that has not existed since the fair trading act was brought in decades ago
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Sat, 24 September 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh. badluck dude. but its gonna happen.

my mate jus bought a sss, he jumped at it and snatched it up.

over the last couple weeks ive prolly found like another 2g worth of shit that needs to be dun. he cant do it himself cuse he doesnt know peanuts, so 2g is wat i reacon mechanic will charge him.

after that extra 2g its not gonna be much of a bargain...
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Sat, 24 September 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokey228 wrote on Sat, 24 September 2005 15:33

yeh. badluck dude. but its gonna happen.

my mate jus bought a sss, he jumped at it and snatched it up.

over the last couple weeks ive prolly found like another 2g worth of shit that needs to be dun. he cant do it himself cuse he doesnt know peanuts, so 2g is wat i reacon mechanic will charge him.

after that extra 2g its not gonna be much of a bargain...

At the end of the day the universe balances out and you get what you pay for. I've known this when i bought the car, but i have to admit, for the problems to happen straight away after buying it.... priceless
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Sat, 24 September 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahaha, someone should do one of those really irritating skits with the priceless thing...
Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Sat, 24 September 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
olihaub wrote on Sat, 24 September 2005 12:56

that has not existed since the fair trading act was brought in decades ago

The Trade Practices Act and the relevant state acts apply to retailers etc, NOT private sellers.
Caveat Emptor!!
Dorio86
Regular

August 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Sat, 24 September 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD_07 wrote on Sat, 24 September 2005 14:08

Can the standard sprinter Diff handle a modded 4A-GZE? (making maybe 150 KW at the fly?

Yes it can, but you have to take it easy and be gentle on the gas pedal.

You could be making 300KW at the fly but this is the rule for weak diffs.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Sat, 24 September 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a jap T series will take your 4agze torque no worries
the aussie non-LSD s series will certainly not.. hohoho

and buddy, welcome to the AE86 club! Very Happy

[Updated on: Sat, 24 September 2005 13:27]

KOPDIS
Regular

June 2002
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Sat, 24 September 2005 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD_07 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 08:53

The other day, last week.. my mate bought another sprinter with a RWC. Standard 4A-C engine in it, everything matched up. On the day the RWC expired (the previous owner bought it and within 30 days sold the car to my mate), we checked under, and found 3 major faults and another 2 minor ones. This included distributor seals completely buggered, rear differential seal leaking really badly too, and all bushes on the rear cracked or brittle.

This car 4AC one, he is referring to is my old car pictured in my avatar, when he bought the car it had 3 days remaining on RWC before it expired. He bought wed night and it expired on Sat, i would of been straight under the car checking things thurs morning and down to the RW tester asap to fix it before it expired, as i thought you would do, you even said "oh oil leaks, not your(my) problem but whoever gave you the RWC it will be there problem"

I had put the car through a roadworthy check and received a RWC after i fixed afew minor problems the test revealed. The Tester never pointed out any major problems with the car leaks etc. and i was unaware of any other problems with it, like the ones stated, i mean its 20+years old id expect it to have some small leaks but nothing to worry about. It was badly out of tune which we agreed on when inspecting.

I put the car up forsale because i started a new job(was working part time) and didnt have time to do the planned 4AGE conversion, so i had only done 200km since RWC was completed, the test wasnt a dodgy RWC however i felt the workshop was alittle dodgy, the mechanic still looked over the car and seemed like a nice guy, i guess he was abit lenient.

Good luck with it, it was a decent car, apart from those problems which would of partly been resolved with the T-series diff i offered with the sale, the small engine leaks/belts are a different story i would of tuned it alittle better & run on the 4ac til it blew prob 6months+ and replaced with a 16v rather than waste money on POS 4AC, but your choice, your car, enjoy Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 24 September 2005 17:18]

bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Sat, 24 September 2005 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Sat, 24 September 2005 23:22

My Ausspec S series was welded for a good 6-7months. And it had to putup with 156kwatw clutch kicks, numerous driftday outings and general night driving antics.

No problems whatsoever. It was then transferred into a friends car and it still held up. And still is as far as I know.

Just do an oil change and it will be fine for the short term while you save up for an LSD.

Unless ofcourse the previous owner was some traffic light warrior and was doing constant clutchdumps off the line for a year or two replacing his clutch and gbox but not getting rearend serviced.

[Updated on: Sat, 24 September 2005 23:39]

TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Sun, 25 September 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOPDIS wrote on Sun, 25 September 2005 03:09

TRD_07 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 08:53

This car 4AC one, he is referring to is my old car pictured in my avatar, when he bought the car it had 3 days remaining on RWC before it expired. He bought wed night and it expired on Sat, i would of been straight under the car checking things thurs morning and down to the RW tester asap to fix it before it expired, as i thought you would do, you even said "oh oil leaks, not your(my) problem but whoever gave you the RWC it will be there problem"

I had put the car through a roadworthy check and received a RWC after i fixed afew minor problems the test revealed. The Tester never pointed out any major problems with the car leaks etc. and i was unaware of any other problems with it, like the ones stated, i mean its 20+years old id expect it to have some small leaks but nothing to worry about. It was badly out of tune which we agreed on when inspecting.

I put the car up forsale because i started a new job(was working part time) and didnt have time to do the planned 4AGE conversion, so i had only done 200km since RWC was completed, the test wasnt a dodgy RWC however i felt the workshop was alittle dodgy, the mechanic still looked over the car and seemed like a nice guy, i guess he was abit lenient.

Good luck with it, it was a decent car, apart from those problems which would of partly been resolved with the T-series diff i offered with the sale, the small engine leaks/belts are a different story i would of tuned it alittle better & run on the 4ac til it blew prob 6months+ and replaced with a 16v rather than waste money on POS 4AC, but your choice, your car, enjoy Smile

AH i thought it was you. How's it going? Mate we're loving this car you sold. that RWC thing was not a big issue as we didn't have the time to fix it on thursday. Garage was busy and earliest booking we could get was saturday. (friday actually, to do the clutch but didn't notice the problems until saturday). After the tune-up, it ran sweet. Fixed a float in the carbie which made it stall a bit. It revs really nicely and i'd feel a waste to throw this engine out for a 16V at this point. Some more it's pretty quick and after setting up the suspension a bit, it corners like crazy. When the 16V goes in, suspension etccc has to be done so we're saving that hassle for now and enjoying the simplicity of STOCK. Tell you the truth though, i bet an 88KW 4A-GE TVI-S will go in before we change the rear bushes... if you get what we mean..
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Sun, 25 September 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bathurst-91 wrote on Sun, 25 September 2005 09:36

ae86drift wrote on Sat, 24 September 2005 23:22

My Ausspec S series was welded for a good 6-7months. And it had to putup with 156kwatw clutch kicks, numerous driftday outings and general night driving antics.

No problems whatsoever. It was then transferred into a friends car and it still held up. And still is as far as I know.

Just do an oil change and it will be fine for the short term while you save up for an LSD.

Unless ofcourse the previous owner was some traffic light warrior and was doing constant clutchdumps off the line for a year or two replacing his clutch and gbox but not getting rearend serviced.

Currently on the car is the buggered Aussie Spec S series non-lsd Diff.. it's pretty strong considering the previous owner is a hardcore drifter and the diff had to take up the supercharger (sudden boosts and the rear wheel spins), and definitely clutch kicks etc..

i guess the end of the diff's life was in my hands and had to happen within 5 minutes of me driving it. the clutch was very responsive and i was used to driving a not so strong clutch so maybe i released it too quickly or something and the weakened diff was not able to take in the shocks. Still i'd say it held up alright coz it's been in the car for a year. I've learned my lesson. Drifting is definitely possible without dumping the clutch or applying huge amounts of shock pressure to the diff.
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Sun, 25 September 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do i really need an LSD diff?

or is a T-series diff as strong as they get with a non-lsd diff?

the previous owner has been driving with this setup for a long time, so would it be worth it to get the diff fixed (second hand diff or repair the center options) or should i just get LSD straight awawy?

nath437
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Sun, 25 September 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've learned my lesson. Drifting is definitely possible without dumping the clutch or applying huge amounts of shock pressure to the diff.
[/quote]

hey mate good to hear that the car's on track, go watch a dvd called "drift bible" i was watching that the other night and it tells you that you dont need huge amounts of power to be able to pull off some awsome drift action, and shows you good drift technique. well worth a look

[Updated on: Sun, 25 September 2005 13:01]

TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Sun, 25 September 2005 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nath437 wrote on Sun, 25 September 2005 22:59

I've learned my lesson. Drifting is definitely possible without dumping the clutch or applying huge amounts of shock pressure to the diff.

hey mate good to hear that the car's on track, go watch a dvd called "drift bible" i was watching that the other night and it tells you that you dont need huge amounts of power to be able to pull off some awsome drift action, and shows you good drift technique. well worth a look[/quote]

ahh.. thanks for the tip. I think i've seen it before. Anyhow the idea of drifting scares me but it's fun when i'm behind the wheel and in control. Currently i only "practice" low to medium speed drifts, nothing over 80 km/h. Once this supercharged 86 is ready i'll be learning a bit more.

my mate claims he's able to drift with a 4A-C (KOPDIS' previous ride), only low speed ones though, and in the wet. how does a full 90 degrees turn sound to you, without handbrake? and also able to rev it past 6,000 RPM without blowing up anything?

Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Sun, 25 September 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, seems to be some ill-informed opinions of Sprinter diffs in this thread.

Firstly, S and T series diffs always break by snapping an axle at the splines where it enters the diff centre. Secondly T series axle splines (barring the rare late zenki?? ones) are identical to S series splines (I've tried S series axles into a T18 centre and they fitted perfectly).

So therefore T-series rearends are in my opinion no stronger than S-series. It's just nice that you can get an LSD for them.

And yes the stock diff should hold up ok. I've abused locked S and T series diffs for a year and a half with similar power and minimal problems.

Hen
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Mon, 26 September 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henn wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 09:54

OK, seems to be some ill-informed opinions of Sprinter diffs in this thread.

Firstly, S and T series diffs always break by snapping an axle at the splines where it enters the diff centre. Secondly T series axle splines (barring the rare late zenki?? ones) are identical to S series splines (I've tried S series axles into a T18 centre and they fitted perfectly).

So therefore T-series rearends are in my opinion no stronger than S-series. It's just nice that you can get an LSD for them.

And yes the stock diff should hold up ok. I've abused locked S and T series diffs for a year and a half with similar power and minimal problems.

Hen

I had this strange feeling the T-Series wouldn't be any different if it fits straight like that. ANyhow, i'm spending 550 to get the standard diff repaired and "tightened" up, also new seals, bearings etc (no wheel bearings yet), and also the diff center looked at. Common problem. If the guy has an LSD lying around somewhere he'll let me know and give me a price on it otherwise i'll just go for it. He has acknowledged i will use the car for race purpose and still upheld the 12 month warranty on the build so i'm quite happy about it.

After that i'll get the car remapped at Rank Rotary somewhere in westall / clayton area. Apparently they are Haltech dealers or something so i guess i don't have much choice. Very good with a laptop i hear.

Then it's the rewiring. I was going to do the rewiring first but i figure since i'm on the ball, at least get the car drivable and very drivable at that before i put it off the road for a few days to sort out the wires.

Thanks for all your support. I hope someone spots it and says hello while i'm running around princes highway from city dandenong. B.O.V. will go in at some stage and hope i will get some attention. hehehe...

AE86 Levin Melbourne
Regular

May 2002
Re: WORST experience with AE-86. I promise you'll be entertained... please read. Mon, 26 September 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
sorry to hear this dude...
I know this car 5 years ago and it was serviced in IDB in Richmond long long time ago..
the car was never perfect I heard...it was alright once and able to rev to 6500rpm 3 years ago when the car changed hand to the pervious owner..
what the previous owner did to the car then I don't know...
by the way,Levino has a t series diff for sale, might be cheaper to buy that instead of rebuilding yours one and just use yours one for spare..
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=81118&start=0&rid=397&S=d9161dc3afda 0bb58df58516804222b8
Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:[deleted]
Next Topic:control arms
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:09:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010999917984009 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.