Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » F and G series diff front flange swap?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MX73
Occasional Poster

October 2004

F and G series diff front flange swap? Sat, 24 September 2005 03:12 Go to next message
Just wondering whether the front flange on the diff where it bolts to the tailshaft is the same on F and G series diffs? Not the actual bolting pattern to the tailshaft, but where the seal is. Can you swap them over?

I am interested in using the flange from an mx83 G diff and putting it into my mx73 F diff (7m conversion, using mx83 tailshaft).

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: F and G series diff front flange swap? Sat, 24 September 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure it won't work.

Having said that, I have modified my F series flange to bolt up to a G series tailshaft (Hilux). It's not hard to do. Smile
MX73
Occasional Poster

October 2004

Re: F and G series diff front flange swap? Sat, 24 September 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, thanks.

Just take that flange to a machinist and get them to drill the holes to match the tailshaft pattern?

Also, do you know what size the bolt holding the flange on is? Largest socket I have is 1-1/8th inch but it's larger than that..

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: F and G series diff front flange swap? Sat, 24 September 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MX73 wrote on Sat, 24 September 2005 17:29

Largest socket I have is 1-1/8th inch but it's larger than that..

Your Japanese car will have metric fittings.
MX73
Occasional Poster

October 2004

Re: F and G series diff front flange swap? Sat, 24 September 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your Japanese car will have metric fittings. >>

I realize that, I was just saying it is larger than 1-1/8th, so more than 30ish? mm. Just don't want to go and buy 4 sockets at $10 each to figure out what size it is. Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 24 September 2005 10:47]

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: F and G series diff front flange swap? Sun, 25 September 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theres this thing called a ruler and not the forum moderator type i mean the distance measuring device!
MX73
Occasional Poster

October 2004

Re: F and G series diff front flange swap? Sun, 25 September 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theres this thing called a ruler and not the forum moderator type i mean the distance measuring device! >>

I don't want to get into an arguement. I was just saying that if someone had changed this over and knew the size of the bolt, that would be useful. I can measure it with the ruler, but might be 1 mm out either side so worst case I might need to buy 3 $10 sockets, 2 which will never be used (Yes, I am stingy).

Nevermind, I will measure it and hope it's the right size.

[Updated on: Sun, 25 September 2005 01:10]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: F and G series diff front flange swap? Sun, 25 September 2005 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buy a $2 pair of verniers and the socket that comes closest in sizer to what you measure with the ruler...you'll only make the mistake once.
MX73
Occasional Poster

October 2004

Re: F and G series diff front flange swap? Sun, 25 September 2005 08:30 Go to previous message
Point taken. Smile Need set of verniers anyway.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:how tell if its a 4.2 or 5.0 V8 [holden]
Next Topic:xt130
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 21:57:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050950050354004 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.