Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Wed, 21 September 2005 08:51 Go to next message
hahah, I have to ask. In the KE70 I have an 8mm supply line and a 6mm return line, but I was thinking of using the 8mm return line off the charcoal chamber? Is there any use for the charcoal chamber with a 4AGE and a high pressure fuel setup?

Cheers,
Kev.
  Send a private message to this user    
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Wed, 21 September 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charcoal canisters catch fuel vapours. Basically, fuel is a volatile liquid, thus vaporises easily. If you don't catch this vapour, you lose fuel. Apparently, in a vehicle without a charcoal canister, 25% of the hydrocarbon emissions stem from here. Not only does it help save the environment, but you save fuel! You will see that the other hose from the canister connects to the intake, so when the vehicle is running, the fuel vapour is burnt.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Wed, 21 September 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tricky wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 19:01

Charcoal canisters catch fuel vapours. Basically, fuel is a volatile liquid, thus vaporises easily. If you don't catch this vapour, you lose fuel. Apparently, in a vehicle without a charcoal canister, 25% of the hydrocarbon emissions stem from here. Not only does it help save the environment, but you save fuel! You will see that the other hose from the canister connects to the intake, so when the vehicle is running, the fuel vapour is burnt.

Being volatile has nothing to do with it vapourising easily, it vapourises or turns to gas easily because it has a low boiling point. Wink
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Wed, 21 September 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K thanks for the info!

Anyone got a photo of where exactly to connect the line from the chamber to the intake on a 4age?

Cheers,
Kev.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Wed, 21 September 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 19:43

Being volatile has nothing to do with it vapourising easily, it vapourises or turns to gas easily because it has a low boiling point. Wink

are you sure?? sounds like you have said the same thing three times Razz

volatility is the measure of how volatile something is.
if something is volatile, it readily vapourises.
this is not necessarily because it has a low boiling point, but more to do with having a high vapour pressure..

and vapour pressure increases as temperature gets closer to the boiling point....

metals have low volatility, but take them into space (with low temps) and you have to worrry about metal loss from evaporation Wink
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Wed, 21 September 2005 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is sounding too much like my chemistry class...and i come here to get away from mr flemming Very Happy
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Wed, 21 September 2005 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why not just block the line from the fuel tank that goes to the charcoal canister? No fuel vapour loss then Wink
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Wed, 21 September 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 20:21

Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 19:43

are you sure?? sounds like you have said the same thing three times Razz

volatility is the measure of how volatile something is.
if something is volatile, it readily vapourises.
this is not necessarily because it has a low boiling point, but more to do with having a high vapour pressure..

and vapour pressure increases as temperature gets closer to the boiling point....

metals have low volatility, but take them into space (with low temps) and you have to worrry about metal loss from evaporation Wink

Laughing The T knows what he's talking about! Not only does he spend much time with solvents in organic chemistry, but he's currently studying for fluid dynamics exam in the morning, so I better hope my definitions are up to scratch! Very Happy

Corona, it sounds like you have been instilled with the common misconception that volatility is the flash point. But maybe not. I dunno. Doesn't matter really Wink 'cos now ya know
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Wed, 21 September 2005 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bleh. didn't come out the way I wanted. What I meant to say was

"...common misconception that high volatility is low flash point..."

Something I've had to coorect a fair few people on lately.
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Wed, 21 September 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lol...

Phrostbyte wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 20:00

K thanks for the info!

Anyone got a photo of where exactly to connect the line from the chamber to the intake on a 4age?

Cheers,
Kev.

Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Wed, 21 September 2005 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Normaly, you have one rubber hose from the canister to a vacuum point on the intake manifold. This point should be at the throttle, and only have vacuum when the throttle is opened a bit, when a small vacuum "leak" would not make a big difference. If it is just pluged into the manifold - full vacuum, the air "leak" may upset idle.

To better control this some cars (XT130 I think) have a small tube from the canister to the throttle only as a signal to open a bigger tube from canister to main manifold.

Other cars have a electric switch controled by the computer to let air from canister to intake manifold, which will normaly only happen with the throttle opened.

Other cars, like NCP10 Echos, have this computer controlled switch paulsed letting a bit of air through with small throttle openings, and more with full throttle.

The 4A-GE 20valve has a vacuum port under each throttle letting a small amount of vapour from the canister through at all times (via mini restrictor valves and filters). In adition to this, it also has the cpmuter controled valve with lets alot of vapour from the canister to main inlet manifold under cirtain conditions (open throttle).

All cars built for racing that I have seen have the charcole canister, and PCV systems removed. The idea is to not let any unknown gasses be given a chance to stuff with the motor in any way. I simple motor is used only, no vacuum tubes unless realy needed. Just a couple of big breather tubes to a catch can.

In this case, should we block the vapour line (which may preasurise the tank), or leave it venting out?

I can't see why the vapour line can't be used as a return. I havn't heard anything against doing that.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Wed, 21 September 2005 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ribfeast wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 22:36

Why not just block the line from the fuel tank that goes to the charcoal canister? No fuel vapour loss then Wink

bad thing-

charcoal cannisters do a number of things:
-they catch fuel vapour
-they vent the fuel tank to (thru the engine where it is burnt)
-they allow the tank to vent excess gas pressure
-they allow petrol vapour to return to the tank where it migth condense back to liquid
-they drain off non-petrol vapour (as condensate where possible)
-prevent gasses that refuse to condense from venting to the atmosphere
-prevent petrol fumes venting from the warm tank from excaping to the atmosphere

some of these thing occur when the thank is cold/ warm and when the motor is running, not running, cold or warm.

search the tech library for connection diagrams - the manifold line from an EFI cannister should connect to just about any port on the manifold after the throttle

cannisters from EFI cars usually have a valve arrangement in the cannister so the engien only gets 'emptied' into the engine at high rpm. they also have valve on the inlet to prevent the tank from seeing high vacuum.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 September 2005 14:07]

thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Wed, 21 September 2005 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edit: oldcorollas already said what I was going to say Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 21 September 2005 14:47]

Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Wed, 21 September 2005 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers for that, but over the last few days I've noticed something... Both my return line and supply line are almost completely blocked off, yet a couple of times I've come to the car, there is fuel absolutely pushing its way out of those lines, and the only way to stop it is to open the cap on the tank and you get a big "WOOSH" sound of all the pressurized vapour being released...

Now you would think that if vapour was going down the line to the canister... how is it that the tank keeps getting pressurized??? I have not blocked it off, it's basically a free exit for vapour, yet it ain't doing anything?

Kev.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Thu, 22 September 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like you've swapped the fuel return line with the charcoal-cannister vent line.

they usually dump into what looks like the top of the tank, but if you open the tank up you'll see that the cannister pipe is designed to not get blocked/covered with fuel.

note: the cannister will prevent the tank from dumping fumes when the engine is off - so if you park the nearly-empty car in the sun, turn engine off then come back in an hour the tank will be pressurized to prevent those fumes escaping. If you took the car for a 5 minute drive, you'd find most of that pressure gone as the cannister will have dumped those gasses into the intake manifold.

The filler cap should also have a safety device that limites pressure in the tank - perhaps you have the wrong filler cap as well?

cheers,
Charles.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Fri, 23 September 2005 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lately when i take my cap off to fuel up..theres been a bit of preassure behind it and a bit of gas escaping out of it as i open the cap...i thaught nothing of it...but now that i skim over this thread i start wondering is there something wrong with my charcole chamber?, is this condition safe?

[Updated on: Fri, 23 September 2005 15:56]

love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Sat, 24 September 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive always had this, wondering would u lose fuel that way, coz it isnt going to the cannister and back again?
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Sat, 24 September 2005 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah on my first KE70 the fuel cap had been replaced with a dodgy cheap-o one and if i took a left turn too hard I'd have fuel leaking out the cap... I replaced the cap with one off another KE70 and never had that problem, but always had the pressure when I opened it.. Also with the second KE70 it's been like that since I got it. I can't see much problem with it, the fuel lines are designed for up to about 5-6PSI, and the fumes you lose when you open your fuel cap would probably only be about 10-20ml of petrol, which is just about nothing...

Kev.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Sat, 24 September 2005 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont know about you eggheads and your equations and formulas

but mine goes 'chzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz' for no good reason even when the car has been off for hours

apparently all the JDM ae86's have this funky feature! hehe
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Sat, 24 September 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lol yeah my KE70 does that too, and I heard it happen on Sam_Q's ADM AE86 while helping to replace a gearbox, lol almost dropped the gearbox Smile.

Kev.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Sat, 24 September 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phrostbyte wrote on Sat, 24 September 2005 13:27

, and the fumes you lose when you open your fuel cap would probably only be about 10-20ml of petrol, which is just about nothing...

Kev.

the way fuel is, thats like a cent every time u open ur cap Shocked...in another years time we could be paying $1 for the privilage of opening our caps Mad lol
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Sat, 24 September 2005 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha funny

i love that sound... hehehehe
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Sat, 24 September 2005 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lol note to self, don't write forum posts when im pissed as all fk...

[Updated on: Sat, 24 September 2005 14:19]

monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Sat, 24 September 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strange things.

My fuel system is pressurising, and the tank and been dropped and checked over.

The charcoal canister was removed and the line plugged, I thought this might be part of the problem so today I unplugged it and went for a drive. Got home, smelt fuel and had a look...fuel was running out of the previously plugged charcoal canister line and onto the garage floor!

This has got to be a problem with fuel line plumbing?
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Sun, 25 September 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as said previously by another dude, your return and charcoal lines may be switched.
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Sun, 25 September 2005 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
monkeymajik wrote on Sun, 25 September 2005 00:11

Strange things.

My fuel system is pressurising, and the tank and been dropped and checked over.

The charcoal canister was removed and the line plugged, I thought this might be part of the problem so today I unplugged it and went for a drive. Got home, smelt fuel and had a look...fuel was running out of the previously plugged charcoal canister line and onto the garage floor!

This has got to be a problem with fuel line plumbing?

Nope lol, If the line was plugged then obviously all the fumes have nowhere to go and just built up pressure. When you unplugged it the fumes could easily escape, and without a charcoal chamber to hold the fumes, you're just going to get fuel running out that line.

Your best bet without a charcoal chamber is either, if you have an EFI setup I wouldn't worry about it because the pressure your pump pumps at, would be much more pressure than fumes could create, so just plug the line again. If you do have a carby setup, a breathable fuel cap would be a good idea, but keep in mind you'll lose a bit of fuel from it.
Sir_2JZA70
Regular

July 2005
Re: What the hell does a charcoal chamber do?! Sun, 25 September 2005 23:22 Go to previous message
While everyones got charcoal canisters on the top of their minds...Im just about to hook up one on my 2JZ after the retard mechanics managed to loose the old one from my car AND the one that came with the halfcut.

Ive bought one out of a Cressida or something. I was just gonna hook it up to the fuel vent line (or wateva its called) and then splice it into an existing vacuum line on the plennum. (No spare holes I can find).

Now questions time:
How do I know which pipe on the canister it the inlet and outlet?

What happens when my plennum has positive pressure? Wouldnt it be forcing air back into the fuel system?

Do I have to fit some sort of one-way valve anywhere on this system??
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Trusted Workshops in sydney area
Next Topic:Lexus AFM mod
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 22:30:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075149536132812 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.