Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Opinions - Scam or for real????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
Opinions - Scam or for real???? Sun, 25 September 2005 00:55 Go to next message

SCAM OR NOT?[ 27 vote(s) ]
1.Definately a Scam 21 / 78%
2.Not a Scam 1 / 4%
3.Could be a scam 5 / 19%

Hello guys and gals,

Trying to sell my car, and got an email from carpoint from a "prospective buyer". I've been dealing with emails from them and they've basically said they'll buy the car, but it sorta smells of SCAM. I've copied my emails to & from below. Have a squiz and let me know what ya think! Thoughts and opinions much appreciated!

Used Car enquiry from CarPoint Australia at 24-Sep-2005 08:41:14
This CarPoint Australia user has an enquiry:
Year/Make/Model: 2001 / TOYOTA / COROLLA
Rego: BB-107M
Price: AUD 19900.00
Name: rick
Address:
State: Overseas
Email: rickben_s@hotmail.com
Home phone:
+447040113882
I am interested in the purchase of your car.I am offering $17,600 AUD for the car.Get back to me if ok.Thanks.

Hi Rick,
Ideally i dont want to go under $XX,XXX AUD. Also, what country you from (+44 = UK???). If you're keen at that price let me know, and im sure we can organise something to get it to you if you're serious. If you have any questions etc let me know.
Daniel.

Hello Daniel
How are you today, i saw e mail now am happy about it but please get back to me with the last price urgnet thanks

Hi Rick, $XX,XXXAUD and she's all yours and we can organise where it will be going and how it'll be getting to you (assuming you're not in Adelaide, in which case you could pick it up ). If it is going o/s just organise what you want to happen and i can make sure things are met from my end. Im off to bed now, but i'll check my email in the morning for any replies. I also tried to call the contact number lower down on the emails, but it had "not available". If you prefer, i can call you sometime to organise every thing if you're keen to go ahead.

Hello Daniel
>Thanks for your mail and patience,our client called me and said that he was impressed with the car condition and this transaction, and he has happily agreed to buy the car at $XX,XXXAUD We have finalised payment arrangement with him. However, our client made out a cashiers check of $28,770AUD to a car dealers company for a car which he intends buying but was unfortunately sold, so he has instructed them that the money be remitted to you, since the money will cover up the cost of your car.So on reciept of the check payment,you will deduct/minus the cost of your car $XX,XXXAUD and send the balance $XX,XXX to the shipper as part of his payment for shipping of the car. Once the transaction is concluded,the shipper will come over with the particulars of our client for bill of sale agreement and shipping of the car to our client, please confirm this and provide immediately your
(1)Name (2)Address (3)Phone number for check payment to be issued and sent to you with this your particulars via Courier transfer services.
Have a nice day,

Regards,

MY REPLY TO THIS WAS:

Hi Rick,
I accept the offer subject to the following terms & conditions. For this transaction to proceed, i will require the following details to pass on to a licensed property conveyancer of whom i will appoint, who will act on my behalf to handle this transaction (to protect both parties):

1. Buyers name, addr, contact numbers (telephone & fax);

2. Who is the dealer mentioned above who will be forwarding payment (ie name, addr, contact person); and

3. Shipping agent details (ie contact person & number).
Once these details are provided, my conveyancer will be in touch to finalise the transaction.

Once payment is received in full to my conveyancer's trust account (which they will confirm upon contact with you), the vehicle will be delivered to your nominated shipping agent in Metropolitan Adealaide.

Kind Regards

SCAM OR NO SCAM?????

Send a private message to this user    
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Opinions - Scam or for real???? Sun, 25 September 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scam or no scam sounds like a big headache setting up export for someone else who's not prepared to pay what you want for the car. If you can hold them out until either they front the money first and without needing your bank account details (less the usuall 20% commission on the 25million inheritence etc) or someone else buys it for what you want.
KOPDIS
Regular

June 2002
Re: Opinions - Scam or for real???? Sun, 25 September 2005 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IT IS A SCAM!!

dont give them any information what so ever, ive heard many people being fvcked over by this, even if you give them your banking details to deposit money then rip all you $$ somehow, i wouldnt continue any other contact, this is going round everywhere

"However, our client made out a cashiers check of $28,770AUD to a car dealers company for a car which he intends buying but was unfortunately sold, so he has instructed them that the money be remitted to you, since the money will cover up the cost of your car.So on reciept of the check payment,you will deduct/minus the cost of your car $XX,XXXAUD and send the balance $XX,XXX to the shipper as part of his payment for shipping of the car"

DODGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who does this sht it's BS

check a similar thread on NS.com

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showt opic=114125&st=0 opic=114125&st=0[/url]

[Updated on: Sun, 25 September 2005 01:22]

Hodgo
Regular

August 2004
Re: Opinions - Scam or for real???? Sun, 25 September 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20G's for a corolla, who's scamming who? Smile
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Opinions - Scam or for real???? Sun, 25 September 2005 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a scam big time
this is a flat out buisness in the uk and scam artists are making a fortune
your car in the uk is worth about 10 grand dollars no disrespect
it is a scam my friend do not believe it for 1 minute
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Opinions - Scam or for real???? Sun, 25 September 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ditto KOPDIS's sentiments: I've read plenty about very similar scams - always with the "client was gong to purchase XXX but did not, and will transfer the money to you"
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Opinions - Scam or for real???? Sun, 25 September 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup - common scam... works like this:

- you advertise product at $1000 (for example)
- they agree to pay a bit more to 'cover' exporting
- they then advise you they've organised bank cheque/payment/etc but for $2000 claiming a mistake at their end
- they request you return the excess amount (e.g. $1000) along with the product
- after receiving product the original transfer is found to have been false or fraudulent, the bank(s) takes back it's money ($2000) but you can't reverse your $1000 as it was legit transfer
-by the time the overseas country's cops get into action the scammer has changed identity.

common on auction sites, requires the scammer to work out of a populous country to permit the easy establishment of false ID and carry-out dodgy initial cash transfer.
CelicasuprA
Regular

May 2005
Re: Opinions - Scam or for real???? Sun, 25 September 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its a scam. Ive seen these before
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Opinions - Scam or for real???? Sun, 25 September 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wat r u talking about. box it up and jsut try not to think about it.

thats what happens everytime i buy something off ebay... Sad

im waiting on shoes from hong kong as we speak Sad
turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
Re: Opinions - Scam or for real???? Sun, 25 September 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the responses guys! It stank of a scam from that last email, so i aint gonna give them anything. I think that with my response with the final email i sent them that they'll realise im onto it and i wont hear from them again. Definately good to hear what others have to think though!

Oh, and Hodgo, maybe do some research into the actual car before making smart ass comments Wink You'll actually find that its the cheapest one of these going around, and its not like any "standard" corollas buzzing around! Smile
turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
Re: Opinions - Scam or for real???? Sun, 25 September 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is the guy's most recent reply:

Thanks please provide immediately your
1)Name (2)Address (3)Phone number for check payment to be issued to you next week i will send you all the ionformation you needed, thanks.
Have a nice day

Think its time to tell him to have a nice day and keep looking for the next sucka! Very Happy
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Opinions - Scam or for real???? Sun, 25 September 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just a note: i wouldnt personally buy one of these rollas for that price but lots of people would, they were a limited factory run of turbo'd rollas, a customer/friend of mine recently sold his for a good deal more than the above mentioned price. they are like anything, they are worth what people will pay Wink
turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
Re: Opinions - Scam or for real???? Sun, 25 September 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Sti. I guess the reason they're "so much" is because they are a limited edition run, and ya dont see them on every street corner. I think that a "real corolla enthusiast" who knows a bit about them will be the one who ends up buying it. Ya dont think much of them from looking at them but you realise they're not like any other corolla's when ya drive them. I would love to be able to sell this thing for more, but there just isnt ANY interest out there (well, the carsales.com.au ad has had more than 2,500 hits, but only a couple of calls), hence the lower price Confused
Sigmeister
Regular

June 2004
Re: Opinions - Scam or for real???? Sun, 25 September 2005 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there anyway to bust these scammers? I mean we know they are scammers, but he migh think he as you on the hook. Can you tell him you are keeping the extra money, then send him a matchbox car. Or give him a false name and for your contact details, give them the number of the Commonwealth Police?

It's just annoying that people are alerted to these things all the time, but the scammers wouldn't do it if it didn't work, so there must be still people getting scammed?!?
filthman
Regular

May 2004
Re: Opinions - Scam or for real???? Sun, 25 September 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Sun, 25 September 2005 15:18

yup - common scam... works like this:

- you advertise product at $1000 (for example)
- they agree to pay a bit more to 'cover' exporting
- they then advise you they've organised bank cheque/payment/etc but for $2000 claiming a mistake at their end
- they request you return the excess amount (e.g. $1000) along with the product
- after receiving product the original transfer is found to have been false or fraudulent, the bank(s) takes back it's money ($2000) but you can't reverse your $1000 as it was legit transfer
-by the time the overseas country's cops get into action the scammer has changed identity.

I agree that it definitely sounds a bit sus. Just a couple of questions.

1: In relation to above, I assume that they are using false ID's or similar to get bank cheques from unsuspecting bank customer accounts, this requiring them to firstly know the details (possibily through another scam), and secondly knowing that there is $xxx in the account to cover the bank cheque. As referred to above, is this assuming that customer reports the missing funds, and the bank then takes action and retrieves the funds?

2: If they forward a bank cheque to you, there is no requirement for you to give your bank details, just you provide your name, and a mailing address. Definitely don't accept a personal cheque.

3: Don't forward any goods until AFTER the cheque has cleared.

4: From the posts it appears to be the limited the limited edition turbo model (I think they only came in gold?), which were built in Sydney by the same company that built the MX5 turbos - therefore it may be a very rare car in other parts of the world, and possibly cheaper to import one then buy a decent car and then turbo it. Remember in the UK vehicles rust VERY quickly.

Please corret me if I'm wrong. I don't claim to be an expert in this and I haven't heard of this before.
But I still think it sounds dodgy.

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Opinions - Scam or for real???? Sun, 25 September 2005 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's 110% scam.
These guys will send you a fake cashiers cheque for an amount larger than the price of the car and then ask for the extra amount back as legit money.
These "fake" cashiers cheques are extremely good fakes... we even banked one at work and the NAB couldn't even tell it was fake.
Luckily I thought it stank of scam and didn't send the stuff to the guy even though it cleared.

If you want to catch the guy let him send the cashiers cheque and ask him for his bank details so you can T/T him the difference... tell him that western union etc. etc. is extremely uncommon in Australia and that T/T is the best way to send the money.
Then ask the guy for his complete bank details including SWIFT code and when he supplies the information contact the bank who supposedly issued the cashiers cheque and forward all the details to them.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Opinions - Scam or for real???? Sun, 25 September 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

3: Don't forward any goods until AFTER the cheque has cleared.

I wouldn't even do this... as I mentioned above these "fake" cheques are often so good that they will clear.
In my example above it too almost 2 months for the cheque to be discovered as a fake and the discovery was only made at the bank where the cheque was supposedly issued.

Sigmeister
Regular

June 2004
Re: Opinions - Scam or for real???? Mon, 26 September 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For those that actually have recieved cheques, are you passing this infomation onto Police\Feds?
turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
Re: Opinions - Scam or for real???? Mon, 26 September 2005 06:44 Go to previous message
Yeah, i dunno what you can do...not much point reporting it cause they'll just change their identity and move on to the next sucka. You're right though, people obviously fall for it so they'll keep doing it. Funnily enough i havent heard back from them Rolling Eyes . In this example, the guy was VERY reluctant to give me any details, so that's gotta be one sign that its not legit, cause if they were they wouldnt have any hassle providing details. Just best to be weary i guess, and as they say "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is"!

And you're right about the car filthman....imported as a "levin" and then all the goodies (bodykit, turbo, manifold, intercooler, brakes, clutch etc etc) were added in Sydney Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ST165 owners dedicated thread!
Next Topic:MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 07:54:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060229301452637 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.