Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
GZE MR2 Troubles Fri, 23 September 2005 06:56 Go to next message
hello

I got some problems with my MR2 and its starting to give me the shits, last night i retorqued the head bolts and the engine was running fine before i pulled it apart. And as most of you would know retorqing the head bolts meant removing the cams etc. So im pretty sure timing, either cam or ignition is my problem. Right now the car is drivable, and pulls freely to redline but breaks up SLIGHTLY in the top end, might miss once or twice thats it before im at the rev limiter. It is down on power a little.

But the main problem is idle, its allways hunted and i havent found anything to cause it yet. But once it reaches operating temp it hunts between something like 300rpm and ~1000rpm. After 3 or for "up/downs" itll stall, kinda makes it hard sitting at the lights.

The other hint as to what my problem is, when i crank the motor. It will spin freely for a few revs, then all of a sudden stop. Like hitting a brick wall, im thinking an ignition event too early or something stopping the piston from going all the way. This happens probably 2 out of every 3 attempts to start the car

The other thing is that the dizzy is advanced all the way it can go. If i retard it just a little the motor will die.

These signs seem to point to my timing being off, but the cam timing seems spot on. I have a hard time putting the dizzy in the right spot because of the firewall.

Has anyone got any ideas as its starting to shit me

Phill
  Send a private message to this user    
Adsport
Regular

December 2003
Re: GZE MR2 Troubles Sat, 24 September 2005 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like your exhaust cam is one tooth retarded.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: GZE MR2 Troubles Sat, 24 September 2005 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea, check the static timing again.
the dist isnt that hard to pull out, as it does sound like it is installed wrong if you have no adjustment.
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: GZE MR2 Troubles Sat, 24 September 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey phill

my car's been grumpy for a while, but driving to flemington made me do something about it, something to do with fuel economy and having to drive with three feet.

problem, car idle drops slowly till it dies, but mine didn't bounce. and crap fuel consumption 300kms to 40l, trying to conserve fuel too.

my fix, since my afm has been tweaked numerous times, i tightened it up two teeth, seems to have cured the drinking problem.
and for the dropping idle, it seemed the car was running out of fuel, or drowning from too much, so i had a fiddle with the bypass on the afm. now it sits at 950 at night with the thermos on whilst at the lights.

i think my idle control motor is stuffed too.

dan
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GZE MR2 Troubles Sat, 24 September 2005 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drinking is one of my MR2's problems too

i get 250-300 to 40ltrs when its running right, but thats foot to the floor from every stop Wink

Im pretty sure adz is right, that would explain the symptoms... the funny thing is that the dots line up, oh well ill redo it from scratch tomorow see how i go

EDIT: and a tip for those driving with 3 feet, use ur handbrake for low speed stuff at the lights, so much easier Wink

[Updated on: Sat, 24 September 2005 14:51]

gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GZE MR2 Troubles Sun, 25 September 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adsport wrote on Sat, 24 September 2005 23:00

sounds like your exhaust cam is one tooth retarded.

DING DING DING DING DING

I dont know why, but i pulled the belt off and lined them up again this morning only to get the same results, everything lines up but still same symptons

So i tryed advance the exhaust 1 tooth, sure enough problems are all gone. Yet the match marks all lined up after turning the motor a few times, i assume i musta been setting it up with some slack b/w the cam pulleys to cause this (or i dont know ...), oh well... im happy Very Happy

[Updated on: Sun, 25 September 2005 02:41]

Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: GZE MR2 Troubles Sun, 25 September 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
revving idle is usually the idel control valve.
take it aprt, clean it put and cross ya fingers....

gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GZE MR2 Troubles Sun, 25 September 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Revhead wrote on Sun, 25 September 2005 13:44

revving idle is usually the idel control valve.
take it aprt, clean it put and cross ya fingers....

well it seems to idle fine when its cold, will hunt at operating temperature...

Its hard to tell sometimes it hunts sometimes it doesnt

Im just happy for now that its running fine and not down on any power Smile
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: GZE MR2 Troubles Sun, 25 September 2005 13:42 Go to previous message
gearb0x wrote on Sun, 25 September 2005 22:56

well it seems to idle fine when its cold, will hunt at operating temperature...

Its hard to tell sometimes it hunts sometimes it doesnt

my 165 does something similar and i cant figure it out...cold starts and cold idles are fine...idles fine at opperating temp...but very occasionally when its allready warm and i start it,itll hunt really bad, or not even try to idle at all, if i put the foot down a little to keep it alive, it will be missing and caughing and spluttering, yet i stick it in gear..drive it 10 metres, and it clears up perfectly fine. and the problem only shows itself very occasionally
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Just got a 1G-GTE, need fly wheel, want an upgrade
Next Topic:Crank Pulley Removal
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 20:14:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059049129486084 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.