Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Fri, 23 September 2005 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JZA70 has the 1JZ-GTE. 2.5L twin turbo. Pretty quick considering how heavy those things are! And they're all Jap imports. Australia only got the MA70s with 3.0L 7M-GE/7M-GTE in that generation Supra.

Which Supra are you talking about?
The one before the xA70s? The MA61s are way below your budget, unless you buy one with an engine conversion already done.
  Send a private message to this user    
silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Fri, 23 September 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JZA70 has the 1JZ-GTE. 2.5L twin turbo is the one I was talking about. Did not know it was twin turbo though. Personally don't really like the very square lines of the JZA70. Much prefer the shape of the ST185 and the MR2, thought the ST185 would suit my purpose more. Almost in a crisis.... the Mrs want me to get rid of my "baby" and I need something not to expensive to give me some driving fun.

Like the GT4s the best do far.... although I did investigate some 180sx Nissan sr20det.
-Totenkopf-
Regular

November 2004
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Fri, 23 September 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ill add my 2c's.

I've owned 2 MR2's and a GT4. A stock GT4 (and even one thats slightly modified) will be quite a bit slower then an MR2, due to the power sapping of the 4wd drivetrain, and the added weight that the GT4 has.

You'll find some quite nasty syncro wear in upwards of 50% of MR2's/GT4's that you look at, unless they'd had a some sort of recon. sometime along the way. My GT4 (spectrals old car) was fitted with the ST205 gearbox, so shifts were fairly silky smooth. Alot of the prices you are quoting are garbage prices. I'd not pay anywhere near that for those cars. The GT4 I bought had a FMIC, 17's, some nice (in my opinion) castrol livery and a freshly rebuild engine (~1000km on it, with basically any seal/bearing etc you could think replaced, and new 20 thou over toyota pistons, as well as metal headgasket and arp headstuds). Had whiteline bushes fitted as well as alot of other little tid tads.

How much did it cost me? $12620. Yes, this was sort of at 'mates rates' but a very good price even if you added a little. The interior was less then satisfactory (at least for myself) but all in all a good little car.

Sold it a month or two ago for $14100, not particularly profiteering, I'd replaced half of the interior, including the entire dash pad, bought a HKS SSQV valve and boost controller for it, and a couple of other tid dads, probably came out of it even.

It had a fairly minor oil leak on sale, as well as a cv boot that was starting to go on its way out, and a rooted rear drivers side wheel bearing, but that was about it. New owner was a young bloke, knew jack squat about car, took it in, cost him a tad over $800 to get all the issues fixed. He seemed to be most disgusted at this additional cost, though really, most of the issues were very minor, and if someone goes in and asks a mechanic to fix up ALL the issues on a used 15yo car they just bought, it'll more then likely total upwards of $2500. (Know someone who recently bought an MR2 and had to work out that much dosh just to have it running decently, without the clutch being rooted etc etc)

Anyhow, being a GT4 (or MR2), it will cost you alot to have a mechanic to do work, even minor things.

My GT4 was an aus delivered, with jap spec ecu. My opinion is that the widebody looks alot better then the jap imports, and the torsion LSD in the rear is an added bonus, but contrary to what grizzly said above, without the jap spec ecu, the aus delivered car wont create quite as much power as the japenese imports. To my knowledge the fuel maps etc in the jap ecu are slightly altered to take advantage of higher quality fuel.

Anywho, my 2c's, I personally like MR2's more, thus the reason I moved back to one but it is all really personally opinion. Take your time in looking, and dont expect the cars to be perfect. As after all, they are ~15 years old.
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Fri, 23 September 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having owned and raced a 4wd, i would be keen to try the SW20 (pre 93) to see how that thing goes on the ragged edge.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Fri, 23 September 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
silkishuge wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 23:35

JZA70 has the 1JZ-GTE. 2.5L twin turbo is the one I was talking about. Did not know it was twin turbo though. Personally don't really like the very square lines of the JZA70. Much prefer the shape of the ST185 and the MR2, thought the ST185 would suit my purpose more. Almost in a crisis.... the Mrs want me to get rid of my "baby" and I need something not to expensive to give me some driving fun.

Like the GT4s the best do far.... although I did investigate some 180sx Nissan sr20det.

I think you have the Supras mixed up.
This is an MA61:
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/draven/car/simmonsallsmall.jpg

And this is the xA70:
http://www.toyota-supra.info/catalog_photos/toyota/supra/toyota_supra_2670.jpg

As for a Nissans, the S13s are pretty average in the build quality stakes. I had a look at a bunch of them once upon a time and decided not to buy them for that sole reason.

sated wrote on Sat, 24 September 2005 00:53

Having owned and raced a 4wd, i would be keen to try the SW20 (pre 93) to see how that thing goes on the ragged edge.

They're awesome! And the SW21 is even better!
silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sat, 24 September 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The xA70 looks great Nark.

Thanks for the advice totenkorf. I am not looking for a perfect condition 15 year old car, just one that I do not have to spend thousands on repairs soon after I buy it. Like the person you sold your GT4 to, I have little knowledge about cars. Am beginning to think I should start building up my knowledge before I buy one so I can have a better idea on what exactly I want.

S13s are no good Nark?I think the S14 also uses the same engine as the S13. Is the chasis any better?

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sat, 24 September 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some S13s had the CA18DET. The later ones had the SR20DET (same as the S14 and S15).

There's a big difference in handling between the S13 and S14.

I'm not saying that they're no good. They're good cheap turbo RWD fun. It's just that I wouldn't buy one. Smile
silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sat, 24 September 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

IMO, the S14 doesn't look as nice as the S13. The GT4 looks the best of the lot.

Yes, S13s can be cheap, but imports cost about AU$15,000 on road including compliance and all other taxes for a 1996 good one.

GT4 seems way more affordable but sounds more expensive and difficult to maintain from what I have been hearing.

If you were in my shoes, what car would you get?
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sat, 24 September 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gt4 for sure..thats why we're on toyota forums bro Smile...we've all been in similar shoes to urs at one time or another Smile
silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sat, 24 September 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT4, still waiting for the right one. Smile
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sat, 24 September 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smile how much did u say u had to spend?...ill keep my eyes open for ya
silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sat, 24 September 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks very much DV. Very Happy

I did not want to spen more than $13,000 on road. Look forward to hearing from you. I saw Zasa's GT4 group A, too expensive although I'm sure its worth every penny.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sat, 24 September 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have u considered an st165?, if u were really really lucky and managed to find a few....u could probably pick up an IMMACULATE..could confuse it with having just rolled off the show room floor type deal for around 10k....thats if u can find one though.
silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sat, 24 September 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The St165 has the more squarish shaped body right? Prefer the st185 body. Rounder but not the st205 lights.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sat, 24 September 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah squarer...i honestly like the way they look more than the 185s....but thats just me i think.

http://www.thex12.com/ctech/uploads/-=dv=-/d4_1.jpg
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sun, 25 September 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-=DV=- wrote on Sun, 25 September 2005 00:24

yeah squarer...i honestly like the way they look more than the 185s....but thats just me i think.

That's 'coz you own one. Laughing

If I were you... Hmm... It's a bit of a gamble isn't it? The GT-Four would be a much better car, but if it ever breaks down, you're in trouble.
The S13 is cheap (they go for around $9k don't they?) and are easy to fix. But their build quality is much worse so they'll break more often.

How eager are you to get your hands dirty? ie: Spend days underneath the car covered in oil trying to undo a *$%&ing bolt that just won't budge.
I mean, changing the clutch on a GT-Four means pulling the engine out!!! Shocked
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sun, 25 September 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Sun, 25 September 2005 10:51

-=DV=- wrote on Sun, 25 September 2005 00:24

That's 'coz you own one. Laughing

and its why i own one Very Happy after my sx i was deciding between getting a mkiii supra or a gtfour, i could have gotten a 185, but i just like the 165s more...always have...ive always wanted one.

nark is right though, gtfours can be a pain...the fact it took me like 2 hours to get the radiator out just so i could change a dead fan :S, or one day it took me 4 hours to get 1 single bolt started when putting my new altinator on.but its a labour of love and patience

[Updated on: Sun, 25 September 2005 02:45]

silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sun, 25 September 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but maybe the GT4 may not be what I am looking for if it is so time consuming.

S13s go from about $9,000 for a 1.8L turbo. The sr20det will cost from about $14,000..... also because they are newer by about 3 years. Say a s14 for $15,000, 110,000km. but yuck shape. Maybe, I will look around for a st185, not GT4. Is the non-turbo celica easier to maintain?
CelicasuprA
Regular

May 2005
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sun, 25 September 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jza70 supra has a 1jz-gte engine, ie a 2.5l turbo, you're looking at 280ps or 206kw. the 1jz shits all over the 3s-gte.
as for handling of the a70 series supras, I havent driven one and cant comment, but they are pretty heavy at over 1500 kgs
If u plan on getting a jza70 go for the "twin turbo r" version.
You get recaro seats, bilstein shocks, torsen LSD, a MOMO steering wheel and shift knob, and some decent wheels

or get this baby

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_conten t.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2488715&current_r ec=2&used_rec=0&total_rec=5&sort_type= &total_rec=5&sort_type=&make_id=8& model_id=31&keyword=GT&state_id=-1&sea rch_distance=25

looks sweet. has anti lag system too <inserts drool smiley>

[Updated on: Sun, 25 September 2005 07:10]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sun, 25 September 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JZA70s are out of his budget though, aren't they?
CelicasuprA
Regular

May 2005
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sun, 25 September 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i suppose so...I'd go for a mr2, but they are a bit claustrophobic. cabin noise gets a bit loud too with the engine in the back
silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sun, 25 September 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CelicasuprA wrote on Sun, 25 September 2005 17:14

yeah i suppose so...I'd go for a mr2, but they are a bit claustrophobic. cabin noise gets a bit loud too with the engine in the back

The MR2 is currently out of the picture because of the space issue. All the cars I have been looking at are either hatchbacks or liftbacks. I need the room in the rear. MR2 has to little storage space..... it is also kinda loud in the cabin and Nark told me about over heating problems. I hear the MR2 is a much tougher car to maintain that the GT4 even though they have same engines.
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sun, 25 September 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
silkishuge wrote on Sun, 25 September 2005 16:47

I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but maybe the GT4 may not be what I am looking for if it is so time consuming.

man these guys make it sound almost like its impossible to own and maintain a GTfour. Its not. I'm living proof that you dont need a great deal of mechanical knowledge to own one.

though i have picked up quite a bit since owning my GT4.
i've done the little things like a turbo timer install+boost gauge etc. but when it was time to drop my new engine in. i left that to the mechanics. you really need to know what you're doing with that sort of thing.
CelicasuprA
Regular

May 2005
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sun, 25 September 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if u dont want either the mr2 or gt4, then have a look at soarers or supra sz

heres two examples
http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=4009
http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=4008

im sure u can find something in ur price range if u hunt around

soarers u can get dirt cheap for as little as 11k. the 1jz-gte manuals are a lot rarer and will cost a bit more

[Updated on: Sun, 25 September 2005 09:36]

TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sun, 25 September 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=Nark wrote on Sat, 24 September 2005 09:33][quote title=silkishuge wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 23:35]
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/draven/car/simmonsallsmall.jpg
/quote]
i want a set of these mags.. can u point me in the right direction...
silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Sun, 25 September 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just wondering how thirsty the soarer and the supra will be since one is a 2.5L turbo and 3.0L engine. How much more thirsty will they be compared to a 2.0L turbo.
-Totenkopf-
Regular

November 2004
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Mon, 26 September 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for the record, there are no overheating issues with the MR2, infact, mine runs cooler, with a huge honking turbo, then my GT4 did. There is quite a bit of air flow through the bay from beneath the car, but even if it severely lacked that, the engines aren't air cooled anyway, they are water cooled.

As it stands, and as per your requirements, I think go the GT4. A good early specimen can be had for $13000 (as I said, mine with a full rebuild, FMIC and half a 3" exhaust system, st205 gearbox only set me back $12620. I probably got it a bit cheaper then if he had of sold it to anyone else, but it was a 'no shit' sale. I had the funds, there was no tyre kicking, no screw arounds, etc etc, and after selling a car, I now know that I'd give a bit of a discount to do without any of that Smile

Look around. They ARE hard-ish to work on. Mainly if you have to get at anything from beneath the car, but far from impossible.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 September 2005 02:22]

TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Mon, 26 September 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
silkishuge wrote on Sun, 25 September 2005 23:22

Just wondering how thirsty the soarer and the supra will be since one is a 2.5L turbo and 3.0L engine. How much more thirsty will they be compared to a 2.0L turbo.

lets just say Thirsty, they are performance cars so will have no problems drinking that fuel down!
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Mon, 26 September 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any car is thirsty if you drive it the right way.

and the s13, s14, s15, although they have the same engine (sr20) they arent the same, its like having a gen1, gen2, gen3, like the 1GGTE.

silvias are a good car, obviously the more you spend the better it will be, although try not to get one with a tired engine, because once they start to go, they're history.

Eldar.O.
silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Re: MR2 GT Vs GT4 (1990) Mon, 26 September 2005 05:04 Go to previous message
Well this topic is getting of track. The only reason why the s13s came up was becasue they are darn cheap. Probaably the cheapest cars around. s14s and s15s are far too expensive. If I could afford an s15, I would rather not sell my current car, and I think I'll rather go for the supras or group As since they look alot nicer than the s15.

Thanks for all the advice and info.
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Opinions - Scam or for real????
Next Topic:what model celica??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 11:13:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072531700134277 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.