Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » HELP!!! CELICA!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
90celi
Occasional Poster

September 2005
HELP!!! CELICA!! Sat, 24 September 2005 07:40 Go to next message
hey everyone! i'm new here and had a question for u guys...well i own a 1990 celica (my first car) and wanted to do the simple pod filter upgrade..i know its prob not gonna make my car go faster unless i set up a CAI n all thatbut i mainly want it for the sound...anyways so i went to autobarn to get the pod filter and the guy is lyk ohh u gotta get a bit of metal to put b/w the air intake tube in the car and the pod filter...anyways jus wanted to clarify is ther anyweher i can get this adapter (he sed go to a exhaust shop and get them to make it for u) and also if i take out the airbox wont i lose all the airflow meters and temp sensors?? i lookd int he manual and it had a pic n it lookd lyk the air flow sensor was on the aribox (not sure tho) also there is a lil black bit on the side of the intake tube (which is before the airbox so woul'dnt be taken off)...neways please let me kno if u have a celica or know definatly wat gets taken out (sensors etc) and also wer i can get the adaptor! thanks every1....oh and while i'm here if u know wer i can get a set of gastruts to hold the boot up (lift back model not coupe) let me know! Very Happy thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: HELP!!! CELICA!! Sat, 24 September 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the air box just bolts onto the air flow meter, this is where u need the adaptor made up, u need something that will bolt onto the afm where the airbox did, and have a 3 inch piping attatched to it for the pod to slip onto...so rip ur airbox out..rip ur afm out..and take ur afm to an exhaust place and tell them u need them to make up an adaptor to fit a pod onto it
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: HELP!!! CELICA!! Sat, 24 September 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think you can buy the pod filter adapters like at supercheap auto in their performance section, i recall seeing the adapters there, only like 30 bucks
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: HELP!!! CELICA!! Sun, 25 September 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i bought the adapter from autobarn for $30
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: HELP!!! CELICA!! Sun, 25 September 2005 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can also get the adaptor from repco, I got mine cheap there.

Has anyone built a box up yet? i think im going to relocate the battery and make a sealed box or something for my pod..
90celi
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: HELP!!! CELICA!! Mon, 26 September 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys i think u all got 4th gen celica's which have AFM's and u just get an adaptor to fit that...mines a 5th gen with no AFM is uses a vaccum sensor on the manifold so ye...i need lyk a adapter to physicalli make the intake pipe 3inches to fit the pod..either replacing the stock tube all together or just making a lil one to fit the stock tube, my question is how much sound would a pod make on the stock tubes and how much on say those polished chrome tubes?...i was speaking to sum1 n they sed a pod won't make much sound at all...is this the case? cos i onli want the pod for sound...any 4th + especially 5th gen owners repli! thanks every1 so far...
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: HELP!!! CELICA!! Mon, 26 September 2005 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
90celi wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 11:44

hey guys i think u all got 4th gen celica's which have AFM's and u just get an adaptor to fit that...mines a 5th gen with no AFM is uses a vaccum sensor on the manifold so ye...i need lyk a adapter to physicalli make the intake pipe 3inches to fit the pod..either replacing the stock tube all together or just making a lil one to fit the stock tube, my question is how much sound would a pod make on the stock tubes and how much on say those polished chrome tubes?...i was speaking to sum1 n they sed a pod won't make much sound at all...is this the case? cos i onli want the pod for sound...any 4th + especially 5th gen owners repli! thanks every1 so far...

there are more errors, but i cant be assed pointing them out.

seriously dude, your asking for help, at least spell the question normally.

now, heres the process to do something on a car (for fitting a pod)

open the bonnet,
look at air intake system,
determine what you need to make the pod fit.

if its an adapter either bodge one up or go buy one.

you said you want it for the sound, fair enough, i would think that the larger the pipe is, the louder it will be, replace the whole pipe if you want it for sound.

you may think im being harsh, but man, seriously, its just so much easier reading simple english than trying to dechiper 1337.

Eldar.O.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 September 2005 04:09]

90celi
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: HELP!!! CELICA!! Mon, 26 September 2005 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah ok fair enough, but for an online car forum i didn't realise people were so pedantic about spelling, i mean seriously does it matter that much? thanks for the advice though...what car are you running?
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: HELP!!! CELICA!! Mon, 26 September 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on my mates 91 lancer...he has a cover (not sure if its orginal) but a pod filter fits snugly inside and it looks very stock and it has a piping coming off for cold air intake. i'm not sure wether it will fit but i'll measure it up if anyone wants me to??

also yeah write/spell things normally so people wont mistake you for being "H3KTiC"

also what kind of engine do you have...i'm assuming a 3S-FE or a 5S-FE?
Paranoid Android
Regular

August 2005
Re: HELP!!! CELICA!! Thu, 29 September 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your only doing it for the sound factor, then i suggest you dont modify your airbox, instead replace the airduct going from your airbox to the engine with some steel, or s/s piping, a muffler shop can do this very easily, and strap it down with some turbo hose,

incidentally if you do this i would purchace the removed duct off you, if it isnt broken at the throttle body end, which i assume it is. Razz

dont expect heaps of sound,

driving with an open throttle body procuces only a little bit of a hiss on acceleration through the high revs

dont worry about the box that hangs off the duct, it is a noise baffle,

Smile
Joe
bahnugget
Regular

August 2005
Re: HELP!!! CELICA!! Thu, 29 September 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh all you folks that are too wussy to do some hardcore original airbox modding.. Evil or Very Mad

as for the fitment of pod, pretty much what others have said.. i mean, u basically replace the box which is bolted there with a pod flange ($20 from supercheap) and then attach the pod to that, if you cant do that.. u got some problems Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2005 09:15]

terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: HELP!!! CELICA!! Thu, 29 September 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if all you want is the noise, then remove then intake resonator in the front wheel well (2-3 bolts)
90celi
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: HELP!!! CELICA!! Thu, 29 September 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey every1 thanks for the replies, its a 5sfe engine, and i was wondering, where is the resonater in the wheel well? how would i get to it?...would a pod fit in a stock 5sfe airbox??...anyways thanks for all the help guys..Very Happy
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: HELP!!! CELICA!! Thu, 29 September 2005 19:00 Go to previous message
follow the intake side of the air box.

it should split into 2, one going to somewhere at the front of the car (maybe behind the headlight) another (res) will go down into the area in teh fender ifront of the wheel/behind the bumper.

the box/front bit /resonator are all 3 seperates usually.

lots of 10mm or 8mm bolts, a few phillips head screws (well.. ok.. 10 max) if you cant do this, dont bother trying to fit a pod on yourself.

the only real way to make intake gains on a na car is to enclose a filter in a box and run a pipe to an area of high pressure at the front of the car (furthurst sticking out part of the bumper as possible), and bellmouth the opening as big as you can to make a proper air ram intake (better then a "cool/cold air intake" where the filter is located at the front).

running an open pod in your engine bay will probably make you loose some throttle response off the line (due to being stationary the bay gets soaked with A LOt of heat) but at speed it will provide more flow at the top.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2005 19:01]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:7MGE OR 1GGTE
Next Topic:Diff making a clunking sound when changeing gears.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:23:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069501399993896 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.