Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » HELP - boost issues on GT4 - solved!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Tony
Regular

October 2002
icon5.gif  HELP - boost issues on GT4 - solved! Sun, 25 September 2005 13:13 Go to next message
The GT4 is all of a sudden running like a dog...

The car:
Stock engine/turbo. No boost controller. Aussie DP. Boost gauge.

Background:
Car has been running great, other than a bad O2 sensor causing a rich mixture (new sensor on order), and an error code 13 (RPM signal) which I think is cos of the dodgy O2.
I did some work on the car yesterday - added an extra bolt to the DP/turbo to close up an exhaust leak. Also tightened the throttle cable nuts cos I discovered it was loose. Nothing too major, but...

Symptoms:
Now, as soon as it gets any kind of boost (like anything above 1psi), the car jerkily hesitates like nothing else, & only reaches about 3psi/4psi/6psi in 1st/2nd/3rd gears (should be getting about 5psi/7psi/11psi). Car pouring out black smoke at max boost.

The symptoms sound like it's gone into limp mode, but not sure that explains the jerky way it's running.
I thought I may have knocked a vacuum hose or something loose, but have checked everything. Engine runs fine off boost. Reset ECU to no avail.

Any ideas?

[Updated on: Tue, 27 September 2005 06:41]

Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: HELP - boost issues on GT4 Sun, 25 September 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you checked the intake air temp sensor?
If this sensor is stuffed it will make the car run like a dog.
Other than that my money would be on a vacuum leak somewhere.
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: HELP - boost issues on GT4 Mon, 26 September 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wantaturbo had the same problem with his, i think it was an air leak somewhere, either vacuum or somewhere in the intake. You might wanna pm him and see what he did.
Good luck.
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: HELP - boost issues on GT4 Mon, 26 September 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check the rubber coupling between the IC and the throttle body, when my one split it had similar symptoms. Apart from that, check all the usuals, intake pipes etc.
Tony
Regular

October 2002
Re: HELP - boost issues on GT4 Mon, 26 September 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check all those & let you know how I go. If not those, I'll go get a vacuum test done tomorrow...
Tony
Regular

October 2002
Re: HELP - boost issues on GT4 - solved! Tue, 27 September 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, serves me right for being lazy...
When I tilted up the intercooler the other day to access the exhaust heat shield bolts I didn't undo the hose clamp around the intercooler to throttle body rubber coupling, so it's now got a nice big split nearly all the way around it.
I've taped it up & added an extra hose clamp temporarily - I can hear the air squealing out through the sides of the tape when I get close to 0psi!
By some minor miracle Toyota actually have one in the country (Melbourne) - it's a Group A specific part number. It'll be here in 2 days. By some other miracle, it only costs $30! Plus I've been to Toyota so many times now they give me trade prices!

I tell you what, it's pretty boring driving around at under 0psi... luckily I don't need to travel far, but I've got no other way to get around.

Thanks for the help guys.
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: HELP - boost issues on GT4 - solved! Tue, 27 September 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha when I needed one, there were none in Melbourne and it had to come from Brisbane, and it cost $48! Damn us Melbournites get ripped Mad
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: HELP - boost issues on GT4 - solved! Tue, 27 September 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i bought one 2 weeks ago too. it was also about $34bux
Very Happy
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: HELP - boost issues on GT4 - solved! Tue, 27 September 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea sometimes your local Toyota dealer can be a good sort, I get trade from mine now. I went in one day and said I needed an oil filter for a 2JZ-GE and he just looked at me blankly, so I have him the part number for the filter and he grabbed it for me, then he said "what car was that in", I said, "a Supra", he was like "really can I have a look"?, so after about 15 minutes of gonig over my car, and the customers cueing up he gave me trade on all the bits I bought, and I get trade of him all the time now Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP - boost issues on GT4 - solved! Wed, 28 September 2005 08:27 Go to previous message
My new group A adaptor came from Canberra - had some fun tracking that part down!

lance has my spare - though it was second hand - came with the group A motor in the grey thing

Its amazing how handy one little bit of rubber turned out to be for the intercooler piping - its perfect for 2.5 inch stainless
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Sprinter 1G-FE conversion
Next Topic:gearbox comparison
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 04:40:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048789978027344 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.