Toymods » Tech & Conversions » is there ae82 big brake kits out there

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bpt-4w
Regular

May 2004
is there ae82 big brake kits out there Fri, 23 September 2005 07:40 Go to next message
hi im intrested in making a ae82 (twinky)stop hard for the track with no fade , i have tried silicon fluid, better pads and venting the front with piping but i find i kill the brakes on it in 2 to 3 laps of wakefield so am looking for aftermarket willwood style kits , just bolt up and get engineered . I dont want to go through the trouble of going to race brakes australia and getting custom kits made for so much more money. anyone know where/if they exist.
  Send a private message to this user    
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: is there ae82 big brake kits out there Fri, 23 September 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how different would the setup be to an AE92?
My mate just upgraded his AE92 brakes, pretty sure it didn't cost him too much.
If you want more info let me know and I will get all the details and some pics for ya.
or if the AE82 setup is similar to AE92 setup look into some AE92 brake upgrades, there would probably be a bit out there for them?
Cheers.
-Whitchy-
bpt-4w
Regular

May 2004
Re: is there ae82 big brake kits out there Fri, 23 September 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah didnt think of that , mmm will look round for one.
boog
Regular

April 2005
Re: is there ae82 big brake kits out there Sat, 24 September 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can get the mr2 2 piston calipers they bolt strait up and you can get a set of 4 stud vented front rotors to suit the size im not 100% sure of the size but i have a set of rotors to suit... i ran this setup on my ae93sx and never had brake fade at wakefield that had jap metal pads and repco brake fluid...
just a thaught
bpt-4w
Regular

May 2004
Re: is there ae82 big brake kits out there Sat, 24 September 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that the old mr2 or the new mr2 ?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: is there ae82 big brake kits out there Sun, 25 September 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no mr2's come with twin piston calipers.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=79530&rid=3115&S=1e8245f07e5bd2c78043026 5d44df3dc&pl_view=&start=0#msg_769848

i suggest you look at this thread as it discusses the upgrade path for aw11's. im about to try out these combinataions on an ae92 gtz so watch that space and ill have some info there too.

i suspect the big single st185 option will be the route to take. but ill be able to tell you soon how well itt'll fit.
bpt-4w
Regular

May 2004
Re: is there ae82 big brake kits out there Sun, 25 September 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm i may have to bite the big one and pay for some willwood or ap's Sad im cringing thinking about the cost if i want to do this.
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: is there ae82 big brake kits out there Sun, 25 September 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i surgest finding some, i think their 2 pot's, from a ae92/101? half cut or the like, do a search cos its been covered before, your bound to find something about them.

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: is there ae82 big brake kits out there Sun, 25 September 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think youll find the ae101 twins are a pain. my mate with a ae92 levin gtz was looking at them.

i have some st185 twin spots which i think will fit and i also have some st185 single piston units. give me a week or so and ill be able to tell you which combo suits up well.
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: is there ae82 big brake kits out there Sun, 25 September 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Sun, 25 September 2005 15:35

no mr2's come with twin piston calipers.

mine's got twin pistons at the front sw20 turbo. but pretty sure they wouldnt fit up to a rolla with out some serious modifications/adapter plates also they're probably hard to source. why not just get some commodore twins and make an adapter to fit em. they've gotta be cheap as hell to buy and service. dunno wot their stopping power is like but if they can pull up a 1600kg commy reasonably well they shuld be able to stop a lil rolla ok.
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: is there ae82 big brake kits out there Sun, 25 September 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have fitted the superstrut twinpot brakes to both AE82 and AE92. Same modification as in Shano2's FAQ to fit to both cars.

PN 210E0036: TWINPOT SUPERSTRUT CALIPER KIT ( suits MR2; SW20 )
(Protex brand)available through Brabond Brakes (Penshurst, Sydney)

PN DB1352: Brake shoes

illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: is there ae82 big brake kits out there Sun, 25 September 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scorpion wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 00:01

I have fitted the superstrut twinpot brakes to both AE82 and AE92. Same modification as in Shano2's FAQ to fit to both cars.

i have baught some super strut front disks and calipers for my ae82, gonna put them on in the coming week.
was there any probs with the master cylinder in the brake conversion on the ae82?
if the master cylinder cant cope, then i will have to get the super strut one and try to find the rear hub off the car too(which is imposible to find btw)(and you need to whole hub as the carier bearings are a few mill too big).
boog
Regular

April 2005
Re: is there ae82 big brake kits out there Mon, 26 September 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seems that mr toof doesnt no that much bout mr2s after all, but you sounded so confident......... and yes they were off a sw20 gt..... good luck with your desision keep us posted on what you find.
cheers
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: is there ae82 big brake kits out there Tue, 27 September 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
illuminatus wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 09:00

Scorpion wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 00:01

i have baught some super strut front disks and calipers for my ae82, gonna put them on in the coming week.
was there any probs with the master cylinder in the brake conversion on the ae82?
if the master cylinder cant cope, then i will have to get the super strut one and try to find the rear hub off the car too(which is imposible to find btw)(and you need to whole hub as the carier bearings are a few mill too big).

anyone have the answer?
INFMUS16V
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: is there ae82 big brake kits out there Tue, 27 September 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guy do you think the brakes will fit ae82 cheers
bpt-4w
Regular

May 2004
Re: is there ae82 big brake kits out there Tue, 27 September 2005 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was cleaning out my pm folder the other day and found a pm i had sent to me from a guy in toowoomba (qld) that mentioned he had a set of willwood on his ae82 (4pots) and that it wasn't that much trouble to do, still need a engineer to look at them though to make em legal so i might end up getting a set from race brakes after all. i just wonder who i will have to mug to get the money first Sad.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: is there ae82 big brake kits out there Wed, 28 September 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

mmm i may have to bite the big one and pay for some willwood or ap's im cringing thinking about the cost if i want to do this.

$5k-6k just for the front....2nd hand Porsche boxster S or 911 (996) are a cheaper alternative to buying all out Brembos or Wilwoods as they use a similar attaching system as full on Race brakes ie seperate calipers and mounting bracket which then attach to the mounting points on the carrier. The disc combo with the Boxster would be the same as we used on my rally car, 2 Piece, Landcruiser disc, custom hat with spacer... I would of gone this combo rather than hacking off the factory mounts and welding on new ones to suit Nissian GTR Calipers, much easier... or the other alternative is the AE101 Twin spots
bpt-4w
Regular

May 2004
Re: is there ae82 big brake kits out there Wed, 28 September 2005 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn that is a full race setup price :0 i presume since a set of 4 pot willwood can be found for 500 a side (american ebay i love it) and general engineering ect cost about another 1-1.5k , this is for a autocross/weekend warrior car not full on race , at most i need them to last 10 laps of a circuit and that is at full tilt brake at the last moment stuff, with the normal stuff like targa style rallies they get a lot more rest inbetween stops so this is just one or two stages above standard Razz.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: is there ae82 big brake kits out there Wed, 28 September 2005 17:20 Go to previous message
http://www.twincam.org/forums/index.php?showtopic= 11737&hl=brakes
http://www.twincam.org/forums/index.php?showtopic= 10246&hl=
http://www.twincam.org/forums/index.php?showtopic= 1063&hl=
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Camry sv21 exhaust?
Next Topic:which 4age????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 10:36:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076429843902588 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar