Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
AE92 4AGE ignition timing Sun, 25 September 2005 15:25 Go to next message
Well I'll give some history on this headache of mine:

Beginning of the year, introduced 4AGE to Sprinter. Anyways, to cut it short, the ignition timing was wack so we had to re-time it backyard style. Anyways, I don't know how (leave that to my bush mechanic father and his friend) but the spark plug leads did not go into the right hole on the dizzy cap i.e. Spark plug lead 1 went into dizzy cap hole labeled "4", spark lead 2 would go on "3" etc. I'll go get the right sequences, but basically, everything on the dizzy cap, the numbers move clockwise one space, and that would where the spark lead goes. After we got it all done, though it was queer, we didn't care, it worked and it was fine so we kept it like that ever since.

Today:
My dizzy was urinating oil so bad that I got my dad to check it because I don't want to fuck with the timing. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

What's with the OMGLOLERSKATES!!1!? It's funny when I don't want to fuck with something but it ends up being fucked anyways! My dad took the dizzy out, got a pend and marked the dizzy on where it was (I was questioning why). Then when he took it out, I spun the tooth to remind him that, the rotor button and teeth was were he was suppose to mark!

Anyways, so after a while of thinking "We're fucked" we put the indent on the crank pulley to "0" and checked to see the indent on the intake cam and lined up the dizzy and shoved it in.

This time, we put the spark plug leads in the REAL places, as in spark plug lead 1 would actually go in dizzy hole 1 etc.

Now it sounds to be "retarded"? I don't know what retarded sounds like but it's making continous looping "popping" sounds through the exhaust. And through one stage of trial and error my exhaust was dripping the black substance.

It really seems to struggle on the low end compared to before, I would have to give it more gas now. I usually would hold it at the friction point and slow let go and the car would start rolling slowly. Now when I do that it would roll really slowly and also the revs would drop really slowly and would want to stall. I usually would reverse without giving any gas but when I do that now it stalls. And when I give it gas till it reaches about 3 I hear this ticking noise, I don't know where it's coming from. Perhaps it's from the exhaust. And my extractors aren't as loud as before and it seems like there are more vibrations.

What seems to be the problem here? Though the spark plug leads and where they were suppose to go before was quite whacked before but it was perfect. Now I can't stand it.

Would the dizzy be missing by one tooth? I don't know! Help please!!!

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks for actually reading this.

I'm reluctant to take it to the mechanic as I've got too much pride (even though I'm not as skilled as them! but I rather go through and learn new things and save a few bucks and some bragging rights than have someone do it without me asking questions) and too less money.

[Updated on: Sun, 25 September 2005 15:29]

Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE92 4AGE ignition timing Sun, 25 September 2005 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you have a timing light?

in the tech docs, there should be info as to how to set the timing, as opposed to "backyard monkey style" Razz
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: AE92 4AGE ignition timing Sun, 25 September 2005 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh we HAD one

it stuffed up. I don't know what's its purpose for. Looks like one of those disco lights that slows everything down.

Yeh I referred to the 4AGE doc, hence, the installation of the dizzy! But I'll find the doc that examines timing.

Is there some sort of way to put the dizzy through the exact teeth? We kinda gave it a jiggle and let it slip through but perhaps this made it miss one tooth.

Thanks mate!
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: AE92 4AGE ignition timing Sun, 25 September 2005 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your timing is still definately out.

check the tech docs.

But I did the same thing.. couldnt get it to work for 2 weeks. Had the wrong timing set.

You'll need to move the crank by hand in the right position, then on the dizzy/rotor there should be a tinny 1mm nipple to be used a guideline for alignment.

Grab a paper clip or a peice of wire with both ends cut short the te + ve1 terminals on the diagnostic plug. Since you dont have a timing light try to let the motor warm up if you can and adjust it by sound/rpm it should be within the 750-800 range for 10deg, 850-900 would be around 12-14deg advance.

xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: AE92 4AGE ignition timing Sun, 25 September 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi again, I couldn't find anything specific on timing, I found one but I already read through it for the dizzy!

Diagnostic plug? Would I have to disconnect the battery to reset the ecu?
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: AE92 4AGE ignition timing Mon, 26 September 2005 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry for my ignorance, but what's a diagnostic plug except that it's aplug (if it is).

bumpity bump
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: AE92 4AGE ignition timing Tue, 27 September 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there must be someone that fucked up their timing at one stage?
ctan13
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: AE92 4AGE ignition timing Tue, 27 September 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The cables from the dizzy to the plugs should be in the order 1342 - that's the firing order. Looking at the dizzy, connect the 9 o'clock to spark 1, 12 o'clock to spark 3, 3 o'clock to 4 and 6 o'clock to 2. Then retime by shiting the dizzy body to the left or right for higher and lower timing. A timing light sure helps. Refer to service manual for this. Hope this helps.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: AE92 4AGE ignition timing Thu, 29 September 2005 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, I've just got one more question for everyone

I figured out a solution how to fix this stupid thing

i'm going to take spark plug #1, turn the pully around till the piston is up ( i think this is what you call TDC? i.e. when the piston is at the top), shove the dizzy in without aligning it, put the rotor on number one according to cap, put spark plug back in, connect leads, fire up, and voila?

but my question is, do i set it when the piston reaches THE TOP? i thought the spark plug ignites just before the piston reaches the top?

any help?

thanks
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: AE92 4AGE ignition timing Thu, 29 September 2005 11:57 Go to previous message
okay read manual, 10degrees before top dead centre

thanks guys!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1GZ-FE V12 Firing Order ??
Next Topic:No Dellow! 1JZ -W58 conversion people, this is you.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 01:25:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050339698791504 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.