Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Sat, 24 September 2005 14:53 Go to next message
Guys,
I'm having some dramas with my F series diff since the TrueTrak centre has been installed.
Basically it leaks around both side seals.
Every time I open the filler plug I can hear a small rush of air (I assume it is rushing in).
I've checked the breather & it appears to work fine (ie I can push the ball in & out easily enough by sticking some wire into the underside of the breather) and it behaves the same as the breather on my spare (stock) diff.
I've had it back to the diff shop twice and they have replaced the side seals both times. Each time it leaks again within a few weeks.
I suspect they've done a dodgy job - which is pretty sad for a place that ONLY does diff work.

I have had a search on this forum and no-one else seems to be having this problem (except maybe Norbie trying to cook his diff oil due to his driving habits!). I have also searched cs.com and can't see any reports of this type of thing either.
I'm doing one last check to see if anyone else has these issues before I go back to the diff shop that installed it and try and get some cash back.
Any comments or other things I should try/check?
The diff is in a '82 MA61 Supra with a stock 5MGE - so I'm not putting a lot of power through it.

Thanks

Peter

Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Sat, 24 September 2005 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
swear loudly at the diff shop? I can't imagine the diff becoming pressurised, which is the only instance I can think of where a properly installed seal might break. plus ou've checked the breather is functioning correctly)
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Sat, 24 September 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its a threed in breather pull it out and clean it, might have something blocking it like some silicon gasket goop
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Sat, 24 September 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its a threed in breather pull it out and clean it, might have something blocking it like some silicon gasket goop
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Sat, 24 September 2005 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Obviously I haven't driven mine as much as yours, but it's probably received a bit more of a caning Wink Mine hasn't appeared to have leaked at all, although I will try to have a look when I'm at the car today.
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Sun, 25 September 2005 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've only done about 4000km since it went it. It should not be leaking. The breather is working as it should.
It look slike no-one else is having this problem, so it isn't directly True Trak related.
I guess it's time to go back to the diff shop (for the third time) and work on my angry voice.

Peter
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Sun, 25 September 2005 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Out of curiosity what were you charged to put your diff together? I'm being charged $180, which I reckon is a little steep considering I'm providing everything. How much did it cost everyone else?
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Mon, 26 September 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slightly related note - how much were you guys charged for the carrier bearings? I had to order mien in, cost $50 EACH 80

[Updated on: Mon, 26 September 2005 00:17]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Mon, 26 September 2005 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is oil coming out the top breather?
If not, I'd say its blocked.

Do as Allan said, unscrew it.
Then drop it in a jar of petrol and clean it out good.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Mon, 26 September 2005 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 07:32

Out of curiosity what were you charged to put your diff together? I'm being charged $180, which I reckon is a little steep considering I'm providing everything. How much did it cost everyone else?

Most quote I've got were $200-$250.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Mon, 26 September 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, $180 is pretty good really. There's a fair bit of labour involved.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Mon, 26 September 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 10:17

Slightly related note - how much were you guys charged for the carrier bearings? I had to order mien in, cost $50 EACH 80

~$30 each, including postage from coventry's. you're getting ripped.
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Mon, 26 September 2005 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was charged about $450 with them supplying all the labour, all new seals & all new bearings. All I supplied was a complete stock diff and the true trak centre.
It is really a complete rebuild of the diff - there is quite a bit of labour involved.
Seemed ok until it started leaking.
I'll check the breather again.

Peter
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Mon, 26 September 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
82MKII wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 10:26

It is really a complete rebuild of the diff - there is quite a bit of labour involved.

Not really.
$200 labour plus $100 bearings should more than cover it.

$500 rebuild would include rebuilding a clutch LSD.

This is just installation we are paying for.

$450 if you gave them the car, would be ok.
ie, you paid for the diff to be removed, and reinstalled.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Mon, 26 September 2005 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had places ask me to pay $700 for just a centre swap (including shims etc)... Needless to say I turned around and walked out the door.

Some guy that does them near me would swap a centre and swap over the ring gear for only $100 Shocked
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Mon, 26 September 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 13:56

82MKII wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 10:26

Not really.
$200 labour plus $100 bearings should more than cover it.

$500 rebuild would include rebuilding a clutch LSD.

This is just installation we are paying for.

$450 if you gave them the car, would be ok.
ie, you paid for the diff to be removed, and reinstalled.

Have a look at the TRSM for what is involved, doesn't look like that much fun to me! And looks like it would actually take a fair chunk of time...

Cheers
Wilbo
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Mon, 26 September 2005 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 10:59

joorsh wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 07:32

Most quote I've got were $200-$250.

I was quoted $400 for mine to be done...

In the end, a mate told me to provide him a slab of beer for his efforts...

I've had no trouble with mine, though now I might need find a smaller ratio crownwheel and pinion...
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Mon, 26 September 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 11:59

Stefan wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 10:17

~$30 each, including postage from coventry's. you're getting ripped.

Didn't know Coventry's (as in Coventry's fastners etc?) sold bearings too. I ordered all my stuff through BSC, who were reasonable on everything else.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Mon, 26 September 2005 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine cost $500 from a mechanic mate, but I was more than happy to pay the extra, because he is one of the most pedantic people I know and spent AGES on it. Now, it's as tight a nun's ..... and smooth as a babies bum.
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Mon, 26 September 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mines been driven damm hard for a little while and I havn't had any problems.

I paid about $35 for the bearings and about $250 for the rebuild which involved the diff guy supplying 2 pinion bearings.
Also my diff was started at 5 o'clock on a friday night and was back in my car at 10oclock that night.
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Tue, 27 September 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coventry companies:

conventry fasteners

conventry auto parts
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Tue, 27 September 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
styler wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 11:04

coventry companies:

conventry fasteners

conventry auto parts

Ah! Thanks. We only have coventry fastners down here as far as I know.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Attn: Anyone with F series diffs with True Trak conversion Tue, 27 September 2005 06:16 Go to previous message
Does anyone who has a trutrack centre installed know if the new carrier bearings to suit are the same width as the ones they replace?

If so, that means it's an easier job (i.e, the same as just swapping standard centres) & I know someone who can install the centre for me Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:gt4 gearbox
Next Topic:Newbie needs answers!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 15:00:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071699619293213 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.