Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
KE70 and AE86 steering racks Mon, 26 September 2005 03:30 Go to next message
Just tried replacing my AE86 steering rack with one out of a KE70 that I rebuilt. It all looks like it should fit perfectly, except I discovered that the KE70 unit has one less tooth on the rack and therefore 10mm less throw. Not good for fooli sik driftzor stylez.

Thought the general car nutter community may be interested.

Hen

PS, I now have a rebuilt KE70 rack for sale.
  Send a private message to this user    
bluehachi
Regular

September 2005
Re: KE70 and AE86 steering racks Mon, 26 September 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a KE70 rack on my black POS henn... i found it had slightly LESS turns lock to lock but the same available lock?

never counted the teeth tho so i could have been on happy smack

cheers
SImon
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: KE70 and AE86 steering racks Mon, 26 September 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry mate. I am not ke70 nut so I didn't realise they were any different. Everywhere I looked said it was the same.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: KE70 and AE86 steering racks Mon, 26 September 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henn wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 13:30

Just tried replacing my AE86 steering rack with one out of a KE70 that I rebuilt. It all looks like it should fit perfectly, except I discovered that the KE70 unit has one less tooth on the rack and therefore 10mm less throw. Not good for fooli sik driftzor stylez.

Thought the general car nutter community may be interested.

Hen

PS, I now have a rebuilt KE70 rack for sale.

do AE86 and KE70 have same length steering arms? i recall talk of AE86 power steeering arms being used as they were shorter... shorter arms would give you same lock with less rack throw...

Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: KE70 and AE86 steering racks Mon, 26 September 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bluehachi wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 14:17

i found it had slightly LESS turns lock to lock but the same available lock?

unless something else was changed this shouldn't happen. I measured the length of rack exposed at each lock and found the difference was 10mm less than an AE86 rack. Less throw means less wheel angle unless something else in the front end is changed.

Hen
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: KE70 and AE86 steering racks Mon, 26 September 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Time to gut your rebuit rack and replace the guts with a Quaife i think Wink
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: KE70 and AE86 steering racks Mon, 26 September 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cannonball wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 21:14

Time to gut your rebuit rack and replace the guts with a Quaife i think Wink

Yes I agree, but it had to be driveable last weekend and Mr Bank Account doesn't agree.

Hen
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: KE70 and AE86 steering racks Mon, 26 September 2005 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 15:17

do AE86 and KE70 have same length steering arms? i recall talk of AE86 power steeering arms being used as they were shorter... shorter arms would give you same lock with less rack throw...

Almost identical in length but the shaping of the arms are slightly different. Can't remember which one was straighter... pretty sure it was the ke70 ones.

Eddie.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: KE70 and AE86 steering racks Mon, 26 September 2005 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and the shorter PS arms?
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: KE70 and AE86 steering racks Mon, 26 September 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, the PS arms are shorter, and could possibly fix the problem, but.
Could be a good temporary solution 'til the rack is changed, cos once it is all fixed up you will have "bonus"tm lock Very Happy
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: KE70 and AE86 steering racks Mon, 26 September 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what size is the pinion gear though? time to get out the grinder and add some more lock, like another 5 teeth!
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: KE70 and AE86 steering racks Tue, 27 September 2005 00:52 Go to previous message
i assume the AE71 rack would be the same as KE70 which meaning the sprinter rack will be bolt on for a slight upgrade in locking?

Anyone confirm this?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:I need som help
Next Topic:1JZ-GTE TPS
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 00:06:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054519176483154 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.