Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
pushrod_POWA
Regular

January 2005
A1 grand prix Sat, 24 September 2005 05:12 Go to next message
hey,
if any one is interested in it, its on sunday night at 10 on fox sports 2. It is supposed to be the world cup of motor racing. It should be good Australia has a team in it and it will be interesting to see how they go. the seemed to go ok in the 1st practice but not as good in the second.

www.a1gp.com
  Send a private message to this user    
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: A1 grand prix Sat, 24 September 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saw the add for that, totally forgot about it though. Mad
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: A1 grand prix Sat, 24 September 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn no free to air coverage, anyone considering going to the Eastern Creek round?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: A1 grand prix Sat, 24 September 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah im going to go
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: A1 grand prix Sun, 25 September 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I watched it today on Sky Sports 3, Aus team qualified 4th. Nelson Piquet Jr was pretty impressive (1st) and so were the Kiwis (2nd).
The cars didn't look all that quick on TV and the coverage had a strange amatuer 80s feel about it, which was sort of cool.
The Aus team look really funny, the pit crew look like a bunch of David Boon clones.
Will check out the race later today.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: A1 grand prix Sun, 25 September 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was watching the race just then - pretty boring so I switched off...

*sigh* I just can't watch open wheeler racing anymore since being converted to MotoGP.
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: A1 grand prix Sun, 25 September 2005 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWDboy wrote on Sun, 25 September 2005 14:12

I was watching the race just then - pretty boring so I switched off...

*sigh* I just can't watch open wheeler racing anymore since being converted to MotoGP.

Damn Straight!!!!

Smile
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: A1 grand prix Sun, 25 September 2005 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was just watching the moto gp, boring! Im trying to stay up for the damn f1! Farkin 2:45
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: A1 grand prix Sun, 25 September 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i heard they have no traction control or abs. if this is true it would have made for a exciting race... anyone (who likes open wheelers) watch it?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: A1 grand prix Sun, 25 September 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Um F1 doesn't have abs either and their traction control only works to 120kmph. Didn't see, got a quick glimpse of it on the news, pretty big accident for lebanon. I reckon it will be interesting to see how it goes, ie IRL has pretty much killed the champ series, but I just don't see this happening with F1.
Will be good when they race at eastern creek won't go this year but in the future it would be good to go to.
Roundy
Regular

April 2005
Re: A1 grand prix Mon, 26 September 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i might almost go up to see it, depending on cost of tickets...tho i think they would prolly be better around phillip island or something a bit quicker and longer...unfortunately australia doesn't have any reasonably large permanant tracks that can be used for quick open wheelers
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: A1 grand prix Mon, 26 September 2005 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eastern creek is a pretty good circuit its quite fast and because they don't really slow that much for turn one they'd hit some good speed. I used to love seeing the Formula Holdens go round their when they supported the V8's, the noise the speed simply amazing let alone the racing coming into the turn two hairpin.

At the time the drivers were Jason bright and Bargwana hmmmmmm and they trounced the rest of the field but had very good battles.
guilty_19
Regular

March 2004
Re: A1 grand prix Mon, 26 September 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
huge accident

some great camera angles inside the car as he rolled over

top racing

australia places 4th in the 1st race and 2nd in the last race

will power was racing for us, glad it's him and not that useless jones who only got a spot cos his dad is the boss Rolling Eyes
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: A1 grand prix Mon, 26 September 2005 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah the motogp was boring but mainly because they were at a crappy F1 track and Bridgestone were always going to dominate Razz

Christian Jones sucks, I remember seeing him spin out on a straight behind a safety car once... Laughing ...useless...
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: A1 grand prix Mon, 26 September 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 14:14

Eastern creek is a pretty good circuit its quite fast and because they don't really slow that much for turn one they'd hit some good speed. I used to love seeing the Formula Holdens go round their when they supported the V8's, the noise the speed simply amazing let alone the racing coming into the turn two hairpin.

At the time the drivers were Jason bright and Bargwana hmmmmmm and they trounced the rest of the field but had very good battles.

Sure EC is a good circuit...by aussie standards, but on international standards EC is fairly short with not enough runoff. I think the runoff reason is one reason why it is never considered for F1
LUX15M
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: A1 grand prix Mon, 26 September 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did any one see the lebanese team driver roll their car? How did it happen?
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: A1 grand prix Mon, 26 September 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the creek is a damn shit track. it may be good to race on but its a poor spectator circuit thats why noone goes there for the V8's. its a shame OP is getting cut cause that track is AWESOME from a spectator point of view, you can see the whole track from any position.
i reckon A1 will be pretty good, its a damn good idea with same cars and country vs country, will get more people interested i think.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: A1 grand prix Mon, 26 September 2005 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 21:43

the creek is a damn shit track. it may be good to race on but its a poor spectator circuit thats why noone goes there for the V8's. its a shame OP is getting cut cause that track is AWESOME from a spectator point of view, you can see the whole track from any position.
i reckon A1 will be pretty good, its a damn good idea with same cars and country vs country, will get more people interested i think.

WTF its good to spectate from, sit on the hill and you'll see atleast half to 3/4 of the circuit. Oran park is better and so is wakefield, but compered to events like bathurst and when they used to race at canberra its awesome. (i know they are street circuits but you can really only see one corner or section of the track at a time.
Roundy
Regular

April 2005
Re: A1 grand prix Mon, 26 September 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bathurst is shit for spectating, i went last year and was totally and utterly disappointed! Albert Park is AWESOME, there are superscreens across from every major spectator mound/grandstand
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: A1 grand prix Mon, 26 September 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roundy wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 08:53

bathurst is shit for spectating, i went last year and was totally and utterly disappointed! Albert Park is AWESOME, there are superscreens across from every major spectator mound/grandstand

Bathurst can be good and bad, generally i sit on the inside of the chase which considering you have to pay extra to get in is utter bullshit that there is no big on the outside of the track for us to view. Nope instead the plebs on the outside that pay less for a ticket get all the screens that are placed on the inside facing towrards them.
However last time we went luckily some pommy bloke had used some inginuity and had a 48cm running off a couple of car batteries, so not only could we watch the action live but when the cars weren't on conrod you could see updates and just watch the rest of the track. Very Happy
Sad thing is though the coverage is so slow as is the radio to pick up incidents on the track. You'd hear something happen on the hill turn around and could make out the cars (bargs taking out about 5 cars tool) then it'd be 5 mins befor they'd show it on the tv.
I'm going again this year, and atm just have general admission adn paddock though there may be hope of something better coming up to make it the ultimate bathurst experience. Very Happy
Basically as with majority of street circuits you don't really get to see a lot of racing you go there for the atmosphere.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: A1 grand prix Tue, 27 September 2005 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

A good spectating experience Superscreens do not maketh. They help, especially in the race to keep you clued-in on the positions and pitstops, but if you're there for the T.V, go buy a $2000 106cm widescreen plasma from JB Hi-Fi.

The track layout and viewing proximity (SO CLOSE over the top) are what makes the viewin at Bathurst grouse, as well as the 3 or 4 days of constant beer drinking ! ! ! Watch a qualifying session on the outside of Reid/Sulman park, where they lift a wheel over the crest and yo'll see what I mean. Wink

Are you top of the mountain, RT142 ?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: A1 grand prix Tue, 27 September 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=st184 sillycar wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 10:57]

The track layout and viewing proximity (SO CLOSE over the top) are what makes the viewin at Bathurst grouse, as well as the 3 or 4 days of constant beer drinking ! ! ! Watch a qualifying session on the outside of Reid/Sulman park, where they lift a wheel over the crest and yo'll see what I mean. Wink

Are you top of the mountain, RT142 ?

We have site booked to camp in the caravan park about 5 mins away, stayed there 2 years ago was good except for being fucking cold.
Probably be looking at heading up the mountain friday or saturday for photos etc but for race day i'll be on the chase, it's just to packed up the top if you aren't staying up there its too hard get a good spot already taken by the time you get there, plus by having pit passes as well, ain't much point being up there if you wanna have a squiz at pit stops or some damage. Its a pretty long walk put it that way.

ATM what is actually happening is a little up in the air as there is a minute chance we might get tickets to the HRT corporate box for free Evil or Very Mad.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 September 2005 01:02]

st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: A1 grand prix Tue, 27 September 2005 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NOICE !

How much extra is it, on top of general admission to get in to the chase viewing area? I wanna have a look-see friday or saturday morning at the pretty cars driving by . . . at 300km/h ! ! ! Very Happy
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: A1 grand prix Tue, 27 September 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 11:01

We have site booked to camp in the caravan park about 5 mins away, stayed there 2 years ago was good except for being fucking cold.
Probably be looking at heading up the mountain friday or saturday for photos etc but for race day i'll be on the chase, it's just to packed up the top if you aren't staying up there its too hard get a good spot already taken by the time you get there, plus by having pit passes as well, ain't much point being up there if you wanna have a squiz at pit stops or some damage. Its a pretty long walk put it that way.

ATM what is actually happening is a little up in the air as there is a minute chance we might get tickets to the HRT corporate box for free Evil or Very Mad.

still doesn't change the fact that one make sedan races suck arse Razz

[Updated on: Tue, 27 September 2005 01:18]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: A1 grand prix Tue, 27 September 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 11:17

still doesn't change the fact that one make sedan races suck arse Razz

Kinda getting close to that theseday with "Project Blueprint", although according to the stats page on the V8 supercars they don't run as much common stuff as is often thrown around ie diffs etc, one interesting thing was that the falcons actually run smaller brake rotors than the commodores.
But when your pissed does it really matter, oh and the support races are always good Very Happy.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: A1 grand prix Tue, 27 September 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 11:16

NOICE !

How much extra is it, on top of general admission to get in to the chase viewing area? I wanna have a look-see friday or saturday morning at the pretty cars driving by . . . at 300km/h ! ! ! Very Happy

4 day pass for the chase and general admission was $129.75, the general admin only is 99.75 so its an extra 30 bucks for the 4 days pff i am only there for three but there is no three day passes Rolling Eyes.
Most rounds they charge rediculous prices at the gate to get a pit pass ie 20 bucks a day at oran park. Just be careful in the pits and watch for crew moving cars around, always funny when they fire the engine and blip the throttle when someones in there way.
The paddock gives you access to all the inside the pits (except pit wall, which we got two years back to take photos). Hehe best was Canberra three years back one of the mates of was with scored a construction pass, then oran park the next year got an access all areas pass. The tip is to walk around like you belong otherwise they'll catch on and boot you. Wink
The guy supplying the tickets just had season work passes for his employees and when they weren't there he'd offer them to his customers as good PR. Very Happy
Shame we can no longer contact the guy as my mate has since changed jobs and isn't his customer anymore. Was good while it lasted, always funny to see the bogans faces when you get a fully catered tray of food turn up on the inside chase. Very Happy
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: A1 grand prix Tue, 27 September 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm..... TA.. Smile
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: A1 grand prix Tue, 27 September 2005 01:51 Go to previous message
http://www.ten.com.au/episode.aspx?episodeID=12305 04

for those without pay tv, hopefully not just highlights
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:300zx rear end or complete shell needed !
Next Topic:1989 Chaser Vs. 1989 Soarer
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:27:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075459480285645 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.