Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » recent car accident, tech discussion on panel beating [new: pics added!]

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
snadge
Occasional Poster

August 2005
recent car accident, tech discussion on panel beating [new: pics added!] Sun, 25 September 2005 10:06 Go to next message
Hey all,

You don't want to know how it happened, but basically I ended up rally driving my '74 ta22 celica down a dark back country street and managed to go straight through a T intersection, collect a few trees and end up in someones fence.

I've started pulling the front end apart. The doors still close, the right hand guard is okay. The car has copped it a bit more on the left side and after removing the bonnet and some of the headlight assembly and most of the radiator. Removed the battery and its holder. Noticed that the left hand chassis rail has a bit of a kink in it but the right hand one is perfect.

Is this type of damage repairable? I am willing to accept that it will never be as good as it was before the accident, what I'm wondering is if it can be fixed safely and legally?

The car is rollable and steerable and the brakes still work. It seems as if the radiator has just been pushed into the fan and the front end buckled a little bit.

Okay here are the pics..

Thinks in advance,

Concerned TA22 owner.

http://ebiz4u.net.au/snadge/gallery/new%20celica/smash/IMG_2031.JPG
http://ebiz4u.net.au/snadge/gallery/new%20celica/smash/IMG_2033.JPG

More pics at
http://ebiz4u.net.au/snadge/gallery.php?parent=new %20celica/smash

[Updated on: Sun, 25 September 2005 23:20]

Send a private message to this user    
bassy
Regular

July 2004
Re: recent car accident, tech discussion on panel beating Sun, 25 September 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can take it to a chasis repairer and they will do it properly and legally and u wont have a problem. Or you have 2 other choices, dont touch it and replace everything else around it if its not too bad. or try and straighten it yourself depending on how bad the kink is. the problem is if u do it yourself it can be potentilaly dangerous because of the lack of strength, and if you ever get pulled over and the police see it the will make u pay to get it fixed anyway. can we see some pics?
Pig Magnet
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: recent car accident, tech discussion on panel beating Sun, 25 September 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh you can take it to a chassis realligner and they can straighten the rail. You can do it yourself and just bash it into place, it will be wonky and look terrible, but you can cover it up with bodyfiller. To get everything straight you can use a porter power, hydrolic metal pump, and use it in the right locations to push everything back into place. Depends how bad everything is bent.
snadge
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: recent car accident, tech discussion on panel beating Sun, 25 September 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want to get it repaired properly if possible. I feel pretty bad about the accident, and want to see it back on the road again. Sad
snadge
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: recent car accident, tech discussion on panel beating Mon, 26 September 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont like to be a dick and respond to my own posts, but whether I can fix this car or not is really important to me. I'm prepared to pay the chassis realigner whatever its worth to fix it. Does the rail have to come off first? (I've heard it attaches to the car somewhere near the firewall) Or do they straighten it while its still on the car.

Any comments are greatly appreciated..

Dave.
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: recent car accident, tech discussion on panel beating [new: pics added!] Mon, 26 September 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know these cars specifically but I don't think the chasis rail will come out, it is likely to be permenantly attached as part of the body of the car.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: recent car accident, tech discussion on panel beating [new: pics added!] Mon, 26 September 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anything is repairable given the right amount of money. This would need to be fixed though, cos from what I can tell from the pics, the kink is behind the front suspention mount, which means your castor will be all fucked up.

This repair will cost a bit wherever you go, so if your going to get it fixed, go to a reputable place. You will pay a bit more, but it will be done right, and in the long run will be worth it.
snadge
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: recent car accident, tech discussion on panel beating [new: pics added!] Mon, 26 September 2005 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, thats cool thanks for the info. Next question would be whos a reputable chassis repairer in Ballarat, or most likely Melbourne. I can tow the car down to Melb on a trailer if need be.

Also, anyone know of any ta22 front cuts laying around? Or the headlight, bumper, radiator & bracket. Basically new front bits. Smile

If I can solve these two problems, I'm well on the way to getting it back on the road again..
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: recent car accident, tech discussion on panel beating [new: pics added!] Mon, 26 September 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It all stays together. The car is clamped to the aligner and various points are also clamped and pushed/pulled into alignment. The key is knowing where to push/pull and how much to allow and movement to spring back. Watching it done is pretty interesting, if you get it done try to get some picvs for here.

Thats not bad at all. I've seen much much worse pulled out and look like it was never there.

If you can take the pics to someone, come to an arrangement to strip it yourself, it shouldn't be to expensive.
AW11 no Jitsu
Regular

May 2005
Re: recent car accident, tech discussion on panel beating [new: pics added!] Mon, 26 September 2005 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
snadge wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 21:49

Also, anyone know of any ta22 front cuts laying around? Or the headlight, bumper, radiator & bracket. Basically new front bits. Smile

If you can't find a front cut (as a last resort), you could try to find a shell that has been stripped and get the requied parts cut off it. I had to do this with my aw11 (would have rather avoided), but they did a good job of it.
sxr01r
Regular

November 2003
Re: recent car accident, tech discussion on panel beating [new: pics added!] Tue, 27 September 2005 08:35 Go to previous message
its not too bad by the looks of things. you really need to measure how out it is, measure from the back of the engine bay diagonally and see how big a difference in length there is to the same point on opposites of the car. that could be pulled out on a car-o-liner thingy, might cost a bit but. any reputable smash repairer should be able to fix that.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Spray Painting / Air Compressor Advice
Next Topic:Corona ST141 / RT142 conversion options
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 12:09:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048420429229736 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.