Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » NSW + pod filters?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
NSW + pod filters? Sun, 25 September 2005 13:34 Go to next message
hey all as yas know up here in qld having a pod is perfectly legal, but i remember when i had to get a blu slip for my old sx in nsw, the old mate made me pull the pod off and track down a stock airbox and filter and replace it with that. this seemed rather pointless to me as both me and the mechanic knew the stock filter and airbox was only going to stay on there for exactly the same time it takes to drive the car home...no more...no less, but he still made me do it....cost me $60 for no reason as i had to get one from a wreckery...anyway...question is, if i were to get a custom airbox made up, and had my pod fitted inside that, would that be legal? or would i be facing defects constantly from it?

thnx in advanced

---EDIT...i should probably add that im moving down to nsw in the next couple of months, and the gtfour will have to go through a pink slip.. ect for the change of rego.

[Updated on: Sun, 25 September 2005 13:37]

Send a private message to this user    
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: NSW + pod filters? Sun, 25 September 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends who you go for rego. but its a good idea to close it off
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: NSW + pod filters? Sun, 25 September 2005 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In NSW Pod's have to be enclosed (and or have induction noise less than 90 decibels). Also the legislation states that only dry elements can be used as oil filled filters breach EPA rules and hence can't be used.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: NSW + pod filters? Sun, 25 September 2005 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the info corona...much appreciated man Smile
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: NSW + pod filters? Mon, 26 September 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah the main thing is that an exposed pod sucks in hot air. as long as it's enclosed you should be right.

well thats what my engineer was saying. Wink
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: NSW + pod filters? Mon, 26 September 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 00:00

Also the legislation states that only dry elements can be used as oil filled filters breach EPA rules and hence can't be used.

what thats news to me Shocked , why sell them for Rolling Eyes .
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: NSW + pod filters? Mon, 26 September 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They sell all sorts of shite thats illegal for the road. One reason un-boxed oiled filters are illegal is if there is a backfire then the filter can catch fire.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: NSW + pod filters? Mon, 26 September 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cannonball wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 21:48

They sell all sorts of shite thats illegal for the road. One reason un-boxed oiled filters are illegal is if there is a backfire then the filter can catch fire.

how many times has that happened?, could be the same for a paper element, they have fine fibers that could catch alight easily.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: NSW + pod filters? Mon, 26 September 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cannonball wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 21:48

That'd be one hell of a backfire on a turbo + intercooled car Wink
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: NSW + pod filters? Tue, 27 September 2005 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smt_007 wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 21:41

Corona RT142 wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 00:00

Also the legislation states that only dry elements can be used as oil filled filters breach EPA rules and hence can't be used.

what thats news to me Shocked , why sell them for Rolling Eyes .

Its also to do with the fact that if someone reoils them and puts too much on they suck the oil into the inlet and fuck with engines that have AFM's which then ruins emissions etc. (Eg Holden has advised ppl not to use Oil filled filters on the HFV6 as it fucks the afm and it will not be replaced under warranty.)
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: NSW + pod filters? Tue, 27 September 2005 00:18 Go to previous message
Quote:

Its also to do with the fact that if someone reoils them and puts too much on they suck the oil into the inlet and fuck with engines that have AFM's which then ruins emissions etc. (Eg Holden has advised ppl not to use Oil filled filters on the HFV6 as it fucks the afm and it will not be replaced under warranty.)

thats news to me, i never knew they fucked wif afm. makes shit loads of sense but.
my mates been wondering why his afm keeps playing up. and why his car runs so shitty some times and sometimes not. lol

ill let him know. i love useful info and shit Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1989 Chaser Vs. 1989 Soarer
Next Topic:ms60 + vvti 1jz
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 18:56:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046820640563965 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.